Hey guys, I've got a 2x10 50watt combo amp and I'm thinking about buying these
http://wgs4.com/content/vet10 but they only come in 20watts (not 25watt, which is what I need)...Anyway, is it gonna hurt my amp if I just run it on 40 watts total, instead of the 50watts that it's supposed to be?
Hmmm. It seems to me that you won't be hurting the amp, but the speaker it's self because chances are you'll go over 40 watts at some point. But I really don't know much about putting 20 watt speakers in a 50 watt combo.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
The amp drives the speaker/s. If you put those in, and turn the volume to max, you may blow the speakers or burn up the wire in the magnets. Or it may happen more slowly, but either way, the speakers are doomed. Get the right speaker.
You're not 'running your amp on 40 watts' really. The speaker wattage is how many watts it can handle. So yeah, if you put 50 watts into 40 watts worth of speaker you're going to blow them up and then your amp's output transformer is going to melt.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
The amp drives the speaker/s. If you put those in, and turn the volume to max, you may blow the speakers or burn up the wire in the magnets. Or it may happen more slowly, but either way, the speakers are doomed. Get the right speaker.

And once the speakers blow the amp soon follows behind it. Not smart.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you tend to play loudly i wouldnt reccomend it.

Although speakers are rated RMS like amps are, theres no real way of telling how much wattage your putting into them.