Hey hey fellow forum members. I've been looking into getting a good guitar to last me 5 or more years through university and such and I've been looking into the Atlas series by breedlove since that is within the 1000-1400 dollar range I'm willing to spend...however I have some questions.

First off, here is the link http://breedlovemusic.com/instruments/guitars/atlas-series.html

I'm planning to get either a C25 or D25 and was wondering if anyone here can really distinguish the difference between studio and stage guitars for the C25 and D25 models. They seem almost identical and the breedlove carrier here only orders them in, so I can't test them. On top of this I was wondering is the C25 the better option here since the "depth" is the same as the D25 or will I still be losing a lot of bass, because I do like having some sense of prescence when I strum (I play R&B rhythm guitar mostly)....

I also had just one little question to finish here haha sorry. Anyways, as one can see from these models, the guitars all have sitka spruce tops on them but I find the look of western cedar better and I also heard it breaks in much faster and sounds nicer more quickly...so is it usually possible to request a different tonewood, or is it usually a case of what you see is what you always get for most acoustic guitar companies. Any help is welcome, thanks a bunch
i don't know if breedlove does custom orders, but even if they do, they won't do them for the atlas series, which are their low priced made-in-korea models.

btw, i never a/b'ed the breedlove atlas guitars because they didn't grab me. that being said, i've played some cedar topped breedloves in higher price ranges that sounded just dandy, and i also really liked the roots series, which i believe is now the american series, but i could be wrong.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
For that kind of money, not buying an American series Breedlove is probably a mistake. They blow the Atlas series out of the water.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
i don't know if breedlove does custom orders, but even if they do, they won't do them for the atlas series, which are their low priced made-in-korea models.

I actually just purchased an acoustic for the same purpose, same price range. I played around and I finally decided on a Taylor. I highly reccomend it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-214CE-G-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-with-Gloss-Finish-105923460-i1520282.gc
Oh...how much more expensive was the taylor compared to the breedlove?

And Spynal the thing is that the american series doesn't have as many cutaway options. I'm really looking for a cutaway in the 1000-1400 dollar price range. As of now, all the American made breedloves exceed that price AND they are mostly dreadnoughts/jumbos....are there Taylor's that are in this price range that aren't the 100 or 200 series, because I do want a solid wood guitar for this price, and breedlove is the best I've found to fit the budget...

*Edit* I did see the american c25 that has a western red ceder top (although it looks more like a sitka top, maybe they made a mistake) but the price of it is 1899 or more on amazon.com, so in canadian dollars that will be even more...this is it http://breedlovemusic.com/american-c25cre.html looks perfect for me on paper, but the price doesn't agree -.-
Last edited by Dee Ay at May 7, 2011,
all solid taylors start at over a grand, and they fail to blow me away till they go up a ways from there. all solid cutaway acoustic electrics i like include:

blueridge guitars have a full sound, lots of bass, martiny tone. they sound great. i've played many and own one. all of these are within your price range.
blueridge br-140ce (all solid sitka/mahogany dread)
blueridge br-143ce (all solid sitka/mahogany 000)
blueridge br-160ce (all solid sitka/rosewood dread)
blueridge br-163ce (all solid sitka/rosewood 000)

you can see some of them here
http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_solid_body_guitars?cmx=52957&start=0
and at elderly and musiciansfriend.

guild makes some great all solid guitars, some with cutaway and electronics - the guild GAD-40c might meet your needs.

there are a couple larrivees that fall into your price range. larrivees are really high quality guitars with a somewhat transparent tone. you have to contact the stores that sell them for a price - and it tends to be lower than what you see "printed"

http://www.guitaradoptions.com/larrivee-acoustic-guitars/index3.html
and also laguitarsales.com has some and great prices.

there are a couple all-solid martins that fall in your price range, too - the GPCPA4, DCPA4 and the OMCPA4. these aren't the legendary martins, but they are made in the u.s. and could could be worth a look. contact laguitarsales, maurysmusic and myfavoriteguitars.com for best martin prices. they always cost less than the big box stores.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Wow thanks a bunch, thats some great stuff, I'll look through them all. Do you have an opinion on Breedlove...as in why they didnt "grab" your attention?
to my ears, the atlas series just doesn't sound as good as the guitars i've listed or as good as the higher end breedloves or their roots series. the atlas guitars have a hint of cardboardy tone that i usually associate with laminate guitars, and they just didn't have the presence i expect from a guitar in this price range.
Quote by Skeet UK
Oh haha, well like i said, the American C25/Cre Herringbone from breedlove is the guitar I really really would like to have, it has the right woods and all the features i would want, but the price I don't think will be less than 1400, and breedlove doesn't list the prices on their websites really. Amazon.com says it would be 1899...but...then a different site said in canadian dollars (that I would be paying in) that it is 2800? I'm just confused. If I can find it for maximum $1600 and bartre downwards I would... I just don't have any starting prices for it -.-
Quote by Dee Ay
Oh haha, well like i said, the American C25/Cre Herringbone from breedlove is the guitar I really really would like to have, it has the right woods and all the features i would want, but the price I don't think will be less than 1400, and breedlove doesn't list the prices on their websites really. Amazon.com says it would be 1899...but...then a different site said in canadian dollars (that I would be paying in) that it is 2800? I'm just confused. If I can find it for maximum $1600 and bartre downwards I would... I just don't have any starting prices for it -.-

I literally just played a American C25 last night that was marked priced @ $1199, and that was Guitar Center wall price.

Quote by Magero
o.o Really...are you sure it was the C25 Cre Herringbone...or was it just a normal C25/Cme sitka one? Either way...it must have been an atlas, I've yet to see an American one for that price...however...maybe since you're in the states...1200 dollars there is 1600 dollars here or something...or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Either way...this could be a great thing for me. I hope it was what it was for you xD

*Edit* And what's all this stuff I hear of western cedar wood only being good for fingerpicking...does this mean I should avoid getting a western cedar wood breedlove and instead just get a sitka one (I really think western is more visually appealing because it's darker...but I guess aesthetics aren't everything )
Last edited by Dee Ay at May 7, 2011,
i've been strumming red cedar topped guitars for decades, and lots of other players i know strum on cedar guitars, too. some strummers don't care for cedar because it's a quieter wood than spruce - particularly adirondack and carpathian - so is a bit easier to overdrive if you play hard, but it has a great tone when strummed, not just finger picked.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by Dee Ay
o.o Really...are you sure it was the C25 Cre Herringbone...or was it just a normal C25/Cme sitka one? Either way...it must have been an atlas, I've yet to see an American one for that price...however...maybe since you're in the states...1200 dollars there is 1600 dollars here or something...or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Either way...this could be a great thing for me. I hope it was what it was for you xD

*Edit* And what's all this stuff I hear of western cedar wood only being good for fingerpicking...does this mean I should avoid getting a western cedar wood breedlove and instead just get a sitka one (I really think western is more visually appealing because it's darker...but I guess aesthetics aren't everything )

Normal C25, sitka top. It definitely ewasn't an Atlas, the Atlas series has the Breedlove logo at the tip of the headstock, American made Bloves have their logo more to the center. There is also a MASSIVE difference in tone. I wouldn't give most BL Atlas series the time of day, I'd have music-sex with the Americans.

Quote by Magero
HAHAHA well mate for someone who strums a lot and does more broken chord stuff than not....would you say I should focus on the sitka Blove or would the aesthetically more pleasing Cedar guitar just as good for strumming. I'm willing to sacrifice looks if the guitar sounds better...which I think is obvious.

Another thing...if the american ones are too expensive though since I haven't received a pricepoint response yet...which Atlas cutaway do you think is my next best bet...or if none of those...which cutaways do you feel would be best suited to my playstyle...preferably solid woods Thanks for all this help guys...it's great!
Another guitar brand has been brought to my attention and that is the single Artist mosaic series....the cutaway they have looks comparable to breedlove. I'll be going to the seagull seller in town and hope they have this guitar or maybe other cedar top cutaways so I can try it. (i'll try some spruce too and find out about the whole cedar vs spruce for strummers thing)

I'll report back my findings and then next tuesday hopefully the next batch of breedloves will come in for the other store and hopefully an american c25 will come in so I can try that to do an a/b with the seagull. Until then...does anyone have an opinion on how seagulls and breedloves stack up AGAINST EACH OTHER?... ? thanks.