Page 1 of 2
So, someone posted a link to this site on the fitness forum that I frequent. It's pretty much a straightforward, albeit abusive guide to losing weight. Emphasis on abusive.

I linked it on my Facebook page, mostly for my own trolling purposes but also to see the ratio of overweight to average people who get offended, agree, use the thyroid excuse, ect.

But that's neither here nor there. Just wanted to see what my beloved Pit thinks about it. Motivational? Offensive? Mofensive? Defensive? Calvin Klein?

Linky

edit: This probably belongs in the fitness thread or nowhere at all, but yeah.

editedit: And I had nothing to do with the conception of this article, just so we're straight.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at May 7, 2011,
You're fat because a dying man gave you his fortune and you had a field day at the bakery.

Also, that author is being what most folks would call a "skinny bitch". Sure they might be somewhat in shape, but at the end of the day they're still a bitch. Bitch, bitch, bitch. Moan and groan over somebody else's cells and tissues. lol.
Last edited by Zaphikh at May 7, 2011,
I'm not fat, but I would say that article is offensive haha. I don't think you get people to comply with you by insulting them, it seems like the author is just venting anger toward fat people.

EDIT: besides that it obviously isn't a very good writer to begin with. I guess that if you want to lose weight the article could help you if you don't mind the word **** misplaced in every other sentence.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at May 7, 2011,
I agree with that article.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Zaphikh
You're fat because a dying man gave you his fortune and you had a field day at the bakery.

I lol'd at how accurate that is. I gained like 60-70 lbs and didn't start doing anything about it until last October or so.

Quote by 801Current
I'm not fat, but I would say that article is offensive haha. I don't think you get people to comply with you by insulting them, it seems like the author is just venting anger toward fat people.

EDIT: besides that it obviously isn't a very good writer to begin with. I guess that if you want to lose weight the article could help you if you don't mind the word **** misplaced in every other sentence.

The first page is pretty much like that, the second page is where he kind of chills out and the 'guide' actually begins. And yes, the excessive cursing gives it a real 4chan feel, which I didn't like too much.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at May 7, 2011,
yeah, anyone can get into shape if they work at it and eat right. not everyone can get washboard abs and junk very easily as some body types are more conducive to that kind of toning than others, but there really isnt too awful much excuse for being a fat sack of shit.

if youre happy being a fatty, then good for you i guess, but i dont see any reason to make excuses about it.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
I'm a slim person, and I got lucky

both my parents come from families with skinny and fat people, but they fatties stayed fat and the skinnies stayed skinny, so I'm not worried about my eating habits catching up me...

What I hate though is how fat people can tell me I need to gain weight but its improper for me to tell them they need to lose weight.

I had a good laugh nonetheless!
i play drums and guitar :
Last edited by bluehawk15620 at May 7, 2011,
Unlikely to motivate anyone who's actually fat and disagrees with or didn't understand the stuff he's talking about. There'll be an almost immediate defensive reaction to being called names and that desire to protect their self esteem by discrediting or ignoring what he says will close them off to accepting the information. That's why politicians get you to swallow their bullshit by tying it up with your desires rather than by calling you stupid and punching your mother in the face.

Good circlejerking for already fit people though
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at May 7, 2011,
Good article except there is a relationship between fat exteriors and bones, namely that fatties have more dense bones in order to support their fat person frames. Science all up in this bitch.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Unlikely to motivate anyone who's actually fat and disagrees with or didn't understand the stuff you're talking about. There'll be an almost immediate defensive reaction to being called names and that desire to protect their self esteem by discrediting or ignoring what you say will close them off to accepting your information. That's why politicians get you to swallow their bullshit by tying it up with your desires rather than by calling you stupid and punching your mother in the face.

good circlejerking for already fit people though

Oh, we're having a ball in the thread on the fitness forum. Man, some of the results from people posting it on their FB pages...
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Unlikely to motivate anyone who's actually fat and disagrees with or didn't understand the stuff he's talking about. There'll be an almost immediate defensive reaction to being called names and that desire to protect their self esteem by discrediting or ignoring what he says will close them off to accepting the information. That's why politicians get you to swallow their bullshit by tying it up with your desires rather than by calling you stupid and punching your mother in the face.

Good circlejerking for already fit people though

In my experience, you're never gonna motivate overweight people to lose weight by making them feel good about themselves. (have gotten overweight myself and have been working out and losing weight for a while already)
Quote by RU Experienced?
Good article except there is a relationship between fat exteriors and bones, namely that fatties have more dense bones in order to support their fat person frames. Science all up in this bitch.

But they're not fat because they're big boned.

They're dense boned because they're fat.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I'd like to point out that I do next to no exercise, and I eat my fair share of junk food.
Sure, I may not be all that healthy... but, people think I'm anorexic... I'm that thin.

So I don't know what to make of the article...
I do think the vulgarity is a bit unnecessary though.
Quote by Momentosis
But they're not fat because they're big boned.

They're dense boned because they're fat.

Well, yeah, but he never said anything about the directionality of the relationship.
I've always said that the best way to get someone who needs to lose weight to do so is bullying them, constantly telling someone, "No you're not fat, you're beautiful the way you are!" helps no-one, unless you're trying to get laid

I think a lot of fat people know this anyway, I'm slightly overweight because I have an unhealthy diet, I don't do much exercise and I drink far too much, I know I can lose weight by changing all this as I lost half a stone at home when I ate well, exercised and stayed sober. I'd rather enjoy life than worry about being a bit chubby all the time
Last edited by SilentHeaven109 at May 7, 2011,
Quote by DeadlySIN
I'd like to point out that I do next to no exercise, and I eat my fair share of junk food.
Sure, I may not be all that healthy... but, people think I'm anorexic... I'm that thin.

So I don't know what to make of the article...
I do think the vulgarity is a bit unnecessary though.

You're probably still eating at a caloric deficit, even if a lot of it is junk food.
Quote by CoreysMonster
In my experience, you're never gonna motivate overweight people to lose weight by making them feel good about themselves.

That's true for sure. But being a dick is an open invitation for folks to ignore your advice. Being positively negative (if you get what I mean) is an art of tact I guess.

I keep myself in shape mainly out of fear that I might develop heart disease. Every male over the age of 60 in my family has pretty much developed and died of heart disease. None of us are overweight, or even chubby in the slightest. Scary shit. Enough to scare me straight.
Untrue, I'm fat because I'm lazy and I just don't give a fuck.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by DeadlySIN

I'm not anorexic, although I'm on the verge of looking like that. Not that I don't want to eat, I just think I've sorta maintained the diet I had from going to school, not eating breakfast/not bringing lunch, so I'm still kinda used to that.
I sort of agree with this article.

I've worked on the extra weight for a while now even though it wasn't much to complain about at all actually.

If anything i just love biking and that has kept me from getting huge.

/notsureifrelevant
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by CoreysMonster
In my experience, you're never gonna motivate overweight people to lose weight by making them feel good about themselves. (have gotten overweight myself and have been working out and losing weight for a while already)

Probably not, but people are far harder to persuade when they are in a negative mood, there are heaps of studies showing this. Assuming that the point of the article is to convey information and persuade people to make a lifestyle change then it is not a good idea to make them unhappy and give them reason to dislike you (and thus your message, rendering even the information worthless, and probably making it harder for anyone to persuade them using the same information later due to inoculation effects).
If you actually want to get them to get fit then I agree that making them feel good about themselves isn't the way, I just think that making them feel bad is also a terrible idea, people jump through massive hoops all the time to protect their self esteem.
You can however, if you're clever, use this to your advantage. Behaviour generally informs attitudes, not the other way around, so a good thing to do with an article that can tick two of the boxes of attitude formation (affect [Fear is the great one here, really effective when used correctly] and cognition [you want well stated, well backed up arguments]) reasonably well would be to get them to share it somewhere, perhaps on a social media site. Doing this will tick the third, most important box (behaviour) and lead to some cognitive dissonance later ("I just advocated getting fit to my friends, I'm the kind of person who advocates fitness, maybe I won't eat this twinkee") which may provoke further behavioural change or at least make it easier. Or maybe they'll just eat more twinkees, but it does give you a better shot.

Of course I'm probably wrong in the purpose of the article, the author was probably more motivated in making it entertaining than actually persuasive.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I eat a lot of goddamn food. I'm talking a 10 piece box of fried chicken over 3 nights (2 weeks ago), 2 8 course meals from my friend's dining points last week, 2 Chipotle burritos this week, 2 plate full of noodles last night, a plate of pork dumplings and a big bowl of soup tonight.

I'm ~120 pounds.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I eat a lot of goddamn food. I'm talking a 10 piece box of fried chicken over 3 nights (2 weeks ago), 2 8 course meals from my friend's dining points last week, 2 Chipotle burritos this week, 2 plate full of noodles last night, a plate of pork dumplings and a big bowl of soup tonight.

I'm ~120 pounds.

Let's see you sing the same song when you're fifty.
Quote by Zaphikh
Let's see you sing the same song when you're fifty.

*thinks of dad*

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
"Unless you've gone to the doctor and he told you that you have a thyroid problem then the problem is not your thyroid, it's your hands shoveling food into your fat ****ing mouth, that's what the problem is."

haha did Maddox right this or something?
Quote by Xiaoxi
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!

Hey, I'm enjoying it while it lasts too. Eat whatever I want, as much as I want, whenever I want? Don't mind if I do.
^

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by CoreysMonster

I disagree. Most big folks would probably just dismiss it as an intolerant hate page. While most of the information on the second page was fairly accurate as far as basic weight loss principles go, people would probably get a lot more out of a page presenting it in a less abusive way. I get calling people out on their logical inconsistencies, but this really seems counterproductive. Let's get one thing straight; being fat is not objectively bad. It has it's health risks, but so does being on the computer all day, whether for work or fun. Many people develop poor posture and weak core muscles, which can lead to back pain spinal injuries. Staring at a screen all day can also screw with your eyes and cause headaches. The point is, there are pros and cons to every unnatural (for this purpose: not living exactly as our bodies were designed) way of life humans can choose. Isn't making counter-intuitive decisions what sets us apart from other animals?

This was written by a fat guy who used to be fatter and is continuing to become less fat. I've decided I want to be skinnier to increase my physical capacity because I've come to like living a more active lifestyle, but to be honest the only thing that has ever really sucked about being fat is being judged by skinny people. Being fat was cool once too, you know? Kind of life how tans used to be a negative status symbol because of manual labor, but are now an indicator that one has the resources to spend their time doing something other than being cooped up in an office working their lives away. Being fat used to be the shit. People were all over you if you had some chub because they associated being fat with having money.

Are people fat and pale because they're stupid? Yeah, some of them. Are people skinny and tan because they're stupid? Yeah, some of them. Are people oblivious to the fact that most of their opinions on appearance are the arbitrary result of what rich people look like because they're stupid? Yeah, pretty much all of us.
^Smartest fatass I've seen in a while

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Probably not, but people are far harder to persuade when they are in a negative mood, there are heaps of studies showing this. Assuming that the point of the article is to convey information and persuade people to make a lifestyle change then it is not a good idea to make them unhappy and give them reason to dislike you (and thus your message, rendering even the information worthless, and probably making it harder for anyone to persuade them using the same information later due to inoculation effects).
If you actually want to get them to get fit then I agree that making them feel good about themselves isn't the way, I just think that making them feel bad is also a terrible idea, people jump through massive hoops all the time to protect their self esteem.
You can however, if you're clever, use this to your advantage. Behaviour generally informs attitudes, not the other way around, so a good thing to do with an article that can tick two of the boxes of attitude formation (affect [Fear is the great one here, really effective when used correctly] and cognition [you want well stated, well backed up arguments]) reasonably well would be to get them to share it somewhere, perhaps on a social media site. Doing this will tick the third, most important box (behaviour) and lead to some cognitive dissonance later ("I just advocated getting fit to my friends, I'm the kind of person who advocates fitness, maybe I won't eat this twinkee") which may provoke further behavioural change or at least make it easier. Or maybe they'll just eat more twinkees, but it does give you a better shot.

Of course I'm probably wrong in the purpose of the article, the author was probably more motivated in making it entertaining than actually persuasive.

Another point about the negativity is that if it does upset them, their bodies will probably release cortisol, making them fatter.
^ jax, you're my new hero

as for me, im overweight. its a combination of poor diet, bad genetics and a sedentary lifestyle like almost every other overweight american. if i ever need a rascal someone feel free to put a bullet in my head.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Several studies have shown otherwise. The most recent was this article:

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v19/n4/pdf/oby2010234a.pdf

Another article, Saguy & Gruys (2010), "Morality and Health: News Media Constructions of Overweight and Eating Disorders" in Social Problems, examined how cultural factors and the media contributed to both undereating and overeating disorders. From their conclusions:

Specifically, the association of heavier bodies with gluttony and sloth and thinner bodies with discipline and responsibility, leads our news sample to frame anorexics as victims of cultural and biological forces beyond their control, while blaming the obese for their weight, which, in turn, reinforces these original associations.

Though i'm sure Paddy will give a much more thorough talk than I can.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
You're fat because you want to be

Yes, you want to be fat. If I woke up tomorrow suddently as fat as you, what do you think my reaction would be? Do you think I would say "Aww, wahh I'm fat, I sure wish I could lose weight" and then go eat three Big Macs and a diet Coke? You bet your fat ass I wouldn't, I would be working like hell to get rid of the disgusting fat

Loads of people want things they aren't doing shit to get. What you want and what you're doing have absolutely no necessary relationship. Whatsofuckingever. Fatties tend to have shitpoor self-esteem, nobody chooses to start that spiral. Of the, erm, more than ten, various theories of psychotherapy I studied this past semester in classes, I'd say at least half of them deal with bringing what you want and what you're doing into line. It's the main focus of reality therapy, for one obvious example.

I didn't read the rest, since that was something I can comment intelligently on even though the first is pretty true

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Page 1 of 2