I'm borrowing someone's Mesa Mark V. So I need to guard it with my life.

I don't really have any experience with tube amps besides playing them in shops. Any things NOT to do, to ensure I don't screw it up?
Don't run it when it's not plugged into a cab...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Leave the amp on standby for a couple of minutes as to let the tubes warm up.
..I was watching my death.
Don't drop it. Don't let it get shaken for an extended period of time--like, if it's in a car, put it on the seat, not in the trunk. Do not under any circumstances turn it on without a speaker plugged in. Don't hit it with a hammer. Don't hit it with a bat. Don't hit it with a cinderblock. Don't hit it with a lead pipe. Don't hit it with the cadaver of a shark. Don't hit it with a car. Don't hit it with a shovel. Don't hit it with a live shark. Don't hit it with a hoe. Don't hit it with a backhoe. Don't get it wet. And don't let it be plugged in when your house gets hit by lightning.
If you make sure not to do any of those things it should be fine.
I knew both of those xD

But I mean more technical stuff. Like is it ok to switch around modes and channels while the amp is running? And how long can you run the amp without giving it a break?
Don't decide it needs to go for a swim while on.
EDIT: Run it until you're done playing
And why would you not switch channels while the amp is on?
Isn't the point of having switchable channels to switch them while it's on to change the sound?
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 7, 2011,
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Don't drop it. Don't let it get shaken for an extended period of time--like, if it's in a car, put it on the seat, not in the trunk. Do not under any circumstances turn it on without a speaker plugged in. Don't hit it with a hammer. Don't hit it with a bat. Don't hit it with a cinderblock. Don't hit it with a lead pipe. Don't hit it with the cadaver of a shark. Don't hit it with a car. Don't hit it with a shovel. Don't hit it with a live shark. Don't hit it with a hoe. Don't hit it with a backhoe. Don't get it wet. And don't let it be plugged in when your house gets hit by lightning.
If you make sure not to do any of those things it should be fine.

oh...well I'm glad I read that...I had the shark cadaver raised in the air...
Quote by darkwolf291
Don't decide it needs to go for a swim while on.
EDIT: Run it until you're done playing
And why would you not switch channels while the amp is on?
Isn't the point of having switchable channels to switch them while it's on to change the sound?

idk, dumb question xP

I'm only asking this stuff cuz I'm kinda freaked out. I was playing earlier and the sound started to fade in and out.
That was after it had been on for like and hour straight. but at a low volume. And it's just sitting there on the cab, so I don't think I could have done anything.

Plus the faint burning smell, but I read that can happen cuz the tubes get so hot.
Quote by darkwolf291
Could be the tubes starting to go.

I hope not...I hope my cable was just being jank or something. Cuz I borrowed this amp cuz mines in the shop (transformer's going out) and I had to borrow one for some school performances next week.
Try pulling the tubes out and plugging them back in, spray a bit of contact cleaner on the pins if you have some.

Also, don't do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by epiphoneLP777
I hope not...I hope my cable was just being jank or something. Cuz I borrowed this amp cuz mines in the shop (transformer's going out) and I had to borrow one for some school performances next week.

sometimes the smell can just be the heat from the tubes radiating and heating the wood around it

my bugera does that every time i play it and it has yet to explode
Don't plug the head in to the cabinet with an instrument cable
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion