I haven't been able to keep up with learning music theory and I've payed for it dearly

The song I want to cover is "Colder Weather" by the Zac Brown Band (not what I usually cover, but it's a good tune). The song is played with a capo on the first fret (chords are G, D, A, and Em and I believe you just add a half step to those), but I've also seen it in E flat (no need for a capo and it's what I'm usually tuned to). I believe that those chords transcribed to E flat are A, E, B, and F#m because playing these chords to the "capo-ed" version sound almost identical. My other two friends want to play this, as well, and altogether we'll have a pianist, an acoustic guitar player, and myself on electric (and vocals). With both guitars in E flat all I really have to do is tell my pianist to play Ab, Eb, Bb, and Fm, correct? I'm just confused as hell in trying to transcribe stuff.

I also want to create a solo for the instrumental break in the song, but I'm lost, unfortunately. Any guidance/assistance/help would be greatly appreciated.
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
look at the chord, identify the root note, analyze the chord, tell the pianist to play that.
im slightly lost on what you are trying to say. are you saying it is usually with a capo on the first fret with the guitar in standard tuning but you want to play it with no capo and tuned to E b standard?
Oops, sorry about that. What you said is exactly correct. I would like to play it in E flat standard (no capo).

so you want to keep the shapes, but just play it with Eb tuning? then youd be correct with the transcription you gave. for the solo, are the chords in order as you listed?
The progression order during the instrumental break is A - E - A - E - A - E - B. All I have so far are the notes found within those chords. Can I just play scales in A, E, and B for the solo?

A = A – E – C#
E = E – B – G#
B = B – F# - D#

Also, if I have both guitars tuned to E flat can I just have the piano stick to G - D - A or will that sound off when played as a group?

Quote by jhalterman
The progression order during the instrumental break is A - E - A - E - A - E - B. All I have so far are the notes found within those chords. Can I just play scales in A, E, and B for the solo?

A = A – E – C#
E = E – B – G#
B = B – F# - D#

Also, if I have both guitars tuned to E flat can I just have the piano stick to G - D - A or will that sound off when played as a group?

I wouldn't get him to play those notes. Two of the notes the G and D are in a different Key than notes that would be in the key the guitars are playing in. You could get him to mimick the guitar chords playing A-E-A-E-A-E-B or you can have him go down and play the thirds to each chord so C#m-G#m-C#m-G#m-C#m-E#m-B/D#. That would probably sound pleasing to the ear being it would harmonize nicely I believe.
Quote by jhalterman
I haven't been able to keep up with learning music theory and I've payed for it dearly

The song I want to cover is "Colder Weather" by the Zac Brown Band (not what I usually cover, but it's a good tune). The song is played with a capo on the first fret (chords are G, D, A, and Em and I believe you just add a half step to those)

Well, if there is a capo then those ARE NOT the chords.

You are confusing chord shapes (grips) with chords -- very common for guitar players.

A or A major is A C# E -- those notes played together are an A Major chord. The use of a Capo means that whatever the grip being used, the notes are different.

If you have moved up a half step you are playing A# Major - A# C## E# -- which is a mess so we call it Bb major = Bb D F.

The shape you make with your fingers is a grip. The notes being played are a chord.

Learn how to spell major and minor chords.

Also -- what you are doing isn't really transcribing -- you are not "scribing" anything -- you are changing the key .. transposing.
Last edited by Zen Skin at May 8, 2011,