Summary (I'll try to be short). I play in a few different bands/projects, but for the most part my style is lead playing, in a modern worship/arena/etc style. By far my most used effects are delay and "shimmer" reverb (or octoverb or whatever else it's called). I recently got a really sweet deal on a Jet City JCA head/2x12 cab,and it does not have an effects loop. However, I really love how the amp sounds. So, here are my options

1. Keep the amp and mod it to have an effects loop (I've seen it done, but I don't have a clue how hard it is to do or how much it would cost to have someone do it)

2. Sell it and find something else that does have an effects loop.

I understand what an effects loop is and what it's supposed to do, I'm wondering how big the difference will be sound-wise. Is there any audio/video/etc of the sound difference?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
They sound decent, I'm wondering if putting my delays in the loop would make a big difference. It should be noted that all my effects come from a Line 6 M13.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Here's the deal. Distortion is directly proportional to input signal strength. So let's examine what that means to your sound comparing the two methods.
Out front: the tails of the effects (lets just talk about delay but it applies to all FX that trail off) reduce over time so the amp is being driven less on each successive repeat. That means that the sound cleans up on each succesive repeat.
In the loop: The signal being fed into the delay is already distorted. Therefore each repeat has exactly the same amount of distortion as the one before it (disregarding power tube and speaker breakup).

Which is better? Depends on what you are going for. Out front it can sound really natural because echoes in real life change timbre over time.
In most cases it will sound better in the loop. Most people perceive the changing distortion as messy - and it does sound messy with fast high gain tones - just like a real echo would.
Try it in both places and decide for yourself, it mainly depends on what sort of music you are playing and what sort of effect you are trying to achieve.

Now distortion and boost pedals - they need to go out front.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
2 questions: On an M13, do I assign what goes out in the loop, and what goes in front (between the normal and effects loop outputs?)

And how much would the mod be, roughly? I'm sure it varies at least a bit from tech to tech.
Quote by Cathbard
Here's the deal. Distortion is directly proportional to input signal strength. So let's examine what that means to your sound comparing the two methods.
Out front: the tails of the effects (lets just talk about delay but it applies to all FX that trail off) reduce over time so the amp is being driven less on each successive repeat. That means that the sound cleans up on each succesive repeat.
In the loop: The signal being fed into the delay is already distorted. Therefore each repeat has exactly the same amount of distortion as the one before it (disregarding power tube and speaker breakup).

Which is better? Depends on what you are going for. Out front it can sound really natural because echoes in real life change timbre over time.
In most cases it will sound better in the loop. Most people perceive the changing distortion as messy - and it does sound messy with fast high gain tones - just like a real echo would.
Try it in both places and decide for yourself, it mainly depends on what sort of music you are playing and what sort of effect you are trying to achieve.

Now distortion and boost pedals - they need to go out front.

After reading all this, I'm REALLY leaning towards wanting an effects loop. If I ever have a problem with how my delay is sounding, it's that it's either too subtle, or too washy/reverb-ish, without being able to find a happy middle ground between the two.