I like classic rock and I really want to play the intro to voodoo child.

What do you recommended?

Thanks!
Budget? Crybaby and Vox are commonly used for the old-school wah sound.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by malmsteensolo
Well, when Hendrix played it he used a Dunlop Crybaby, so did Slash, and Zakk Wylde...

wat

Dunlop as a company didn't even exist until the 80s.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I can pull off a pretty good facsimile of Voodoo Chile using a Morley PWA. Getting that sound is more about getting the amp setting right than the type of wah you are using.
I prefer Morleys because there is no actuator pot to wear out, they have a huge base and will never fall over. They have a big pedal with a really nice action. I have one with the switch beside the pedal. It's great for setting as a filter which can be turned on and off without disturbing the position of the pedal.
A Vox or Crybaby may be a more accurate representation of Jimi's pedal but the other advantages that Morley have more than makes up for that imo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I thought Hendrix used a Vox...
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Hendrix's gear was modded so it hardly matters. The Vox and the Crybabies are so similar that one mod and you've made a bigger difference than exists between the two stock. There can be more difference between two different Voxes than between a Vox and a Crybaby. Who knows what inductor he had fitted to his for example. And that's just one mod, who knows what else was changed. Wahs are one of the most modded gadgets in town.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the kirk hammett sig model is awesome, try one!
i love mine, sold my wylde wah and crybaby from hell once i got my kirk hammett wah, its just perfect for me
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Nirvanafanjonny
I thought Hendrix used a Vox...

You're right. He used a vox clyde mccoy wah. I think people get confused because they have a Hendrix signature wah by Dunlop.
What wah should you get?

Not one recommended on UG.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by joedango
You're right. He used a vox clyde mccoy wah. I think people get confused because they have a Hendrix signature wah by Dunlop.

The vox clyde mccoy existed back then? Hmmm. Jimi deffinitely used some sort of Vox anyway.

I have a vox V847 and I reckon its excellent. The Clyde McCoy is based on a trumpet wah sound or something, I dunno.

TS: If you want the Jimi sound you ought to go for the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix signature Crybaby. The Vox he actually used won't sound like it did in the 60s. Also, check youtube demos! That's the best way. But sometimes on those demos they aren't using the wah pedal properly, there's a knack to it, so be careful.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
What wah should you get?

Not one recommended on UG.

+1
Quote by Icarus Lives
Also, check youtube demos! That's the best way. But sometimes on those demos they aren't using the wah pedal properly, there's a knack to it, so be careful.

Ok I'm going to check out some videos.
Also, hendrix is not the only wah stuff i want to play. I also want to play some funk and metallica with the wah. I also like that wah sound that brian may gets in one of his solos (i forgot which one).

Does it really matter what wah i get?
Last edited by joedango at May 10, 2011,
Quote by joedango
I see that some wahs have true bypass. Is that good or bad?

depends.

it's better than a bad buffer or the other half-assed bypass where half the circuit is still hanging off your signal even when the pedal is bypassed.

Ideal would be a good buffer.

On balance- yeah it's good. I'd rather have TBP than a bad buffer, and in the worst case scenario with TBP (i.e. all your pedals are true bypass), you're still in an easily rectifiable situation- you can just buy a standalone buffer pedal with a known good buffer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
why wouldnt true bypass be better...it doesnt affect the tone right?
wouldnt a buffer still affect the tone?
^ A good buffer doesn't negatively affect the tone. If ALL of your pedals are TBP, that's effectively like running through possibly 30+ feet of cable, where the resistivity associated with all cables starts to pile up and degrade your tone.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Last edited by Slash_is_a_God at May 10, 2011,
^ +1

true bypass shouldn't affect the tone... but that ~30ft of cable sure as hell will.

Bit like saying it's not the flames that burn you, it's the heat. Pedantically correct, maybe, but the end result is the same.

EDIT: just to add, an advantage of having your pedals true bypass is that you don't have a bunch of buffers all interacting and shit. You generally want the minimum number of buffers necessary. Plus some pedals (e.g. fuzz) hate coming after buffers.

While true bypass isn't the panacea true bypass pedal manufacturers try to claim it is, it does generally give you the most options for fine-tuning your bypassed tone. You can select the buffers you know are good, and put them exactly where you want in your chain.

That's why I like true bypass. Not because of the marketing bullshit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 10, 2011,
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
^ A good buffer doesn't negatively affect the tone. If ALL of your pedals are TBP, that's effectively like running through possibly 30+ feet of cable, where the resistivity associated with all cables starts to pile up and degrade your tone.

Well, I don't have any pedals. The Wah-wah will be my first pedal.
Quote by Slash_is_a_God

Resistivity is a measure of how a particular material opposes the flow of current. This is independent of length and based solely on the material used. Resistance is the sum of the resistivity for a particular volume of material and is of no consequence in a guitar cable. The current flow is so small that the voltage drop is practically nonexistant.

Capacitance is what rolls of your high end. This is down to the design and length of the cable. True bypass doesn't add capacitance, it just doesn't counteract it. The only capacitance added by a true bypass pedal is that of the cable connecting it to the rest of the chain. The wiring inside doesn't add any capacitance unless it's shielded.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
fulltone clyde/clyde deluxe or better yet something from RMC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by mmolteratx
Resistivity is a measure of how a particular material opposes the flow of current. This is independent of length and based solely on the material used. Resistance is the sum of the resistivity for a particular volume of material and is of no consequence in a guitar cable. The current flow is so small that the voltage drop is practically nonexistant.

Capacitance is what rolls of your high end. This is down to the design and length of the cable. True bypass doesn't add capacitance, it just doesn't counteract it. The only capacitance added by a true bypass pedal is that of the cable connecting it to the rest of the chain. The wiring inside doesn't add any capacitance unless it's shielded.

Do specifics really matter THAT much =\ I don't think the TS needs a lesson in the Physics that's going on in this situation, and just needs to know 'long cable runs without buffers = not best idea' *shrug* Excuse me for upsetting you by not clearly and efficiently using the best choice to terminology.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
Do specifics really matter THAT much =\ I don't think the TS needs a lesson in the Physics that's going on in this situation, and just needs to know 'long cable runs without buffers = not best idea' *shrug* Excuse me for upsetting you by not clearly and efficiently using the best choice to terminology.

^ +1
Last edited by joedango at May 12, 2011,
I haven't gotten to play around with one yet, but from a mechanical standpoint they're all pretty much the same.

It sounds like you're in the same boat as me experience wise, since you said it's your first pedal, so just go with whatever one you can get cheapest. Vox or Crybaby is always good.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.