Hey there. I'm looking to buy an acoustic guitar with pickups. Nothing fancy, so about €300,- (maybe €50 more). I already have an old acoustic that my mother used to play when she was young, and it doesn't sound too good. I used to only play acoustic when I didn't feel like plugging in my electrics, but now I'm getting more interested in acoustic playing (especially after hearing a bandmember's electro-acoustic which sounded awesome).

So, any suggestions?

P.S.: do I need a special acoustic amp, or can I go with my VoxAC15C1?
In my opinion, you should get the best sounding straight-acoustic you can get for about $300, and add an aftermarket pickup. My suggestions would be a Yamaha FG700 (about $300 new) and get a K&K Pure Mini w/ Pre-phase installed by a local guitar tech (pickup's about $200 in-store, but you can order straight from K&K and get it for $160!).

In this price range, I just don't find the built-in electronics in most guitars to be satisfactory. Also, I'm not a fan of the big hole cut in the side of the guitar for a preamp. The Pure Mini w/ Pre-phase just has a discreet volume dial and phase switch that mounts under the soundboard of the guitar, at the edge of the soundhole. Discreet, lightweight, and Best acoustic sound i've ever heard out of a pickup.

To answer your second question: An electric amp will do, although an acoustic amp Will color your tone less (Hell, the tester for the Pure Mini's Phase switch used a Fender Hot Rod Deville!)

Hope this helps
Last edited by RockinSince1993 at May 7, 2011,
Quote by Soldier Poet
Well, I don't really want to spend much more than 300.

I think with currency conversion you'd be fine. I believe 1 Euro is about 1.50 USD, so that puts your price cap around 450-500 US. 300 for a guitar, 200 for a pickup. Bada-bing bada-boom, you're all set.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
I think with currency conversion you'd be fine. I believe 1 Euro is about 1.50 USD, so that puts your price cap around 450-500 US. 300 for a guitar, 200 for a pickup. Bada-bing bada-boom, you're all set.

Yeah, I live in Canada but because the most widely accepted currency is USD, I did the coversion from € to USD
Quote by RockinSince1993
Yeah, I live in Canada but because the most widely accepted currency is USD, I did the coversion from € to USD

Well never mind then. In that case, you won't get much of an acoustic-electric for $300. I'd still recommend going with the aforementioned route of getting an acoustic and installing an aftermarket pickup. It's probably the best way to get the most bang for your buck.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
Well never mind then. In that case, you won't get much of an acoustic-electric for $300. I'd still recommend going with the aforementioned route of getting an acoustic and installing an aftermarket pickup. It's probably the best way to get the most bang for your buck.

I'm not the OP. I meant that I did the conversion from €300 to $450-500, Which would fit my previous recommendation of the Yamaha FG700($300) and K&K Pure Mini($160). Sorry for the confusion.