Here in a short while I'm heading to afghanistan for a year. So since playing is a perishable skill, I've decided to pick up a cheaper acoustic to take down range. I'm open to all genres and my budget would be around $200 dollars max. I've also read that dry heat is bad for an acoustic and ill be in temps of 110 in the shade, how much will this hurt the guitar? I also would prefer something a little smaller in terms of size, but still normal scale. I'm new to acoustic, so I need a little push in the right direction.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Your guitar is going to face a lot of abuse. I'd go with the cheapest guitar you can find that happens to be playable. The hot weather is going to make glue joints move and the constant shifting between dry and wet is going to cause stuff to bubble and warp so there is no point spending a lot of a guitar. A cheap nylon string guitar is probably going to be better than steel string because the lighter string are not going to mess with the guitars action as much and nylon string guitars tend to be on the small side so it's gonna be easier to drag around with you.
Not taking any online orders.
Hey there.

For under the $200 mark, I would look for something used but in good condition. Maybe a Yamaha or Takamine or Alvarez. As long as you don't go with something so low end that it plays poorly (anything from WalMart, like FirstAct or Academy). If you're worried about size, you could definitely look at getting a parlour style guitar (smaller body) or even a travel guitar. I have a Johnson travel that plays well that I got for just about $100, something like this: http://www.besttravelguitars.com/acoustic-travel-guitar-reviews/johnson-trailblazer-travel-guitar-review/

Your possibilities are endless. As far as dry heat goes, it could definitely damage the guitar. So, consider spending maybe $150 on your used guitar and the rest on a hard case if possible. Then try making a cheap inexpensive humidifier like this guy. Super easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFmGcS5A4Ww

Should keep you in tip top shape. Best wishes on the trip.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Last edited by FirstDegree at May 7, 2011,
Thanks for the info. I think I ma go with a classical style, I've lived every nylon string I've played.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
I still play my Epiphone PR 150 all the time. It is a solid choice for that price range and you can't go wrong.
Get a Rogue. I have a dreadnaught that I got along with a mandolin for 100 bucks, and i've been using the guitar for 3 or 4 years. Musicians friend is where I got it from.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
There are quite a few parlor sized acoustic out there. For travel, I'd suggest one with a laminate top to avoid splitting like a solid topped guitar. Luna has some sweet parlor guitars for the money.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by K Reyn
I still play my Epiphone PR 150 all the time. It is a solid choice for that price range and you can't go wrong.

+1 I think that's the best guitar under $150, plus it's all laminate so the dry air won't hurt it like it would hurt an all-solid or solid-top guitar.
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook
oh ya just be sure to stok up on strings too as I'd bet you'll have a hard time finding any!
Check out "thelastplaceyoulook" on YouTube, iTunes and [url="http://facebook.com/thelastplaceyoulook
"]Facebook