I don't mean copying I mean letting a band influence your style. I want to sound a bit like Dance Gavin Dance and some other bands, but i'm trying to mainly focus on DGD now. So i was wondering is it better to learn all of their songs with tabs (wich is much quicker) or should I figure them out by ear (takes much longer for me)?
btw Will Swan is sick, does anyone know if he got some other material up somewhere besides all the dgd songs? I can't find anything
Listen to their music.
Learn their music
Analyze it and learn how they construct their songs.

Find out who their influences are.
Learn their music
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ashley7000
I don't mean copying I mean letting a band influence your style. I want to sound a bit like Dance Gavin Dance and some other bands, but i'm trying to mainly focus on DGD now. So i was wondering is it better to learn all of their songs with tabs (wich is much quicker) or should I figure them out by ear (takes much longer for me)?
btw Will Swan is sick, does anyone know if he got some other material up somewhere besides all the dgd songs? I can't find anything

I think learning by ear is the better option when trying to be heavily influenced by an artist. Also, when writing songs a good idea is to study that band's style; how they use dynamics, their style and use of riffs and melodies
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by steven seagull
Listen to their music.
Learn their music

Find out who their influences are.
Learn their music

this. in particular see what chords they use, do your best to understand their harmonic language and then write using this. also look at their dynamics, textures etc, everything that comes into their music.

it won't work exactly always, i mean i could look at a band and say ok they use: X harmonic language, such and such dynamics, their average song is 5.4 minutes long. i could give that to someone and say write a song and i'd put money on it not sounding remotely like the original band, but as long as you understand their language, it should be a good basis to compose similar music.

edit: look at their rhythm, this will really be important in composing similar music.
Last edited by gavk at May 7, 2011,
Consult my sig.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
learning by ear is good, because it helps internalyze the music better. take it slow, be patient and try to avoid getting frusterated--take breaks if neccesary.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Quote by ashley7000

learn some of there stuff obviously,listen to there stuff all the time,dont try to hard,over time the influence will come in without u realising it and it will probably be from other people comments on your music
Yup, by ear is probably better as you also get those undertones/phrasing that is so important.
You'll Never Walk Alone!