I want to buy a squier bullet from someone but he has no amp. He says that we can test the pickups through his home cinema.
Is it going to sound different than put through a normal amp? ( i know tone varies from amp to amp). If I roll the tone knob while conected through the home cinema is it going to have any effect?

Is it relevant or will the guitar sound like poo?
It will sound like... Clean tone without any gain, effects or what so ever. Very dull really You wount be able to tell anything, except verify that the pickups 'work'
it's stereo amp, and i don't think it's tube. however, for a stereo amp.... etc.

hi-fi stereo/surround sound systems aren't designed to take guitar signals - if you plug a guitar into it you'll just get a horrible sound - like a clean sound, but muddy, muffled, and at the same time, harsh and piercing too. the amp wasn't designed for it and the speakers weren't designed for it either.

it should be ok to test for a little while to see if the guitar actually works, though. just don't expect the sound to be in the slightest bit pleasant
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^Pretty much that.

The frequency response of a hifi system is very flat, unlike guitar amps which have a much more un-even frequency response. It won't sound like a clean signal normally does, its not exactly pleasant sounding.
I think what you need is one of these:

In all seriousness, yes, you won't get anything even remotely similar to "tone" through a hifi system. But if you would happen to have an amp modeller like a POD you could use its line out/headphone put, since it amplifies the signal for you before it goes into the hifi. But if you don't I'm quite sure you'll find out that it's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at May 7, 2011,
Quote by struguri
I want to buy a squier bullet from someone but he has no amp. He says that we can test the pickups through his home cinema.
Is it going to sound different than put through a normal amp? ( i know tone varies from amp to amp). If I roll the tone knob while conected through the home cinema is it going to have any effect?

Is it relevant or will the guitar sound like poo?

It'll sound like poo, guitars always sound like poo through home stereo systems as they're designed to reproduce sound, not create it.

Regardless, it's a Squier bullet, it's going to sound like a cheap strat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
okay so I was thinking the same thing, I'm not very good with electronics, although it makes sense what you said about the frequency and all that. So strumming the guitar unplugged you hear its natural strat-like sound; but plugging it through the home cinema it won't sound like the same thing (like the exact same sound only louder)... so this means the tone knob will have no effect?
Thanks for helping me out here guys, hope I'm not harassing with so many questions.
I'm also not sure about another thing.

If i buy the guitar and plug it into the computer using it as an effects processor (with amplitube or guitar rig software types) and then connect it to the home cinema it will basically be the same thing right? the tone of the guitar will be lost?

also

... if you use the guitar through the pc and then plug the audio out through an amp will this mean that the guitar will start to sound like it should (electronically-wise ... frequency and all that)

something like
guitar->amplitube->home cinema vs guitar->amplitube-> guitar amp

also what is the deal with that FUSE system on fender amplifiers like the mustang?

will it mean that you can do the second thing that i mentioned up having the quality of the sound unaffected or something?
Last edited by struguri at May 7, 2011,
well the computer software is more suited for going into normal speakers so that should work

i run my toneport ux1 into some logitechs, probably not the best fidelity but whatevs
If he has a POD or something it'll sound fine. I use my POD before my stereo and it sounds pretty awesome, to be honest.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
is it really necessary for an interface or you could plug the guitar using an adapter on your onboard sound card?