hi

im in the process of learning the first solo from Fade to Black and have been struggling to shift my hand down from the 16th to the 14th fret to play a full bend an the end of the fast run in the middle. I watched a tutorial on youtube and the guy just bends the string down with his first finger. Is this not bad technique or is it acceptable this high on the fretboard?
You can bend with any finger you like
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Bend with any finger you like as long as you can do it in pitch. You need strong fingers, but it's easy learnable. All this bullshit that you should only bend using like 3 fingers is taught to beginners because their finger strength is not that great and most of the time they wouldn't be able to bend up to pitch.
Personally most of time time nowadays I find myself bending with 2 fingers, the index and the 2nd because of the kind of bending I do.
A lot of people sometimes bend using their pinky as well.
there is no such thing as bad technique, you cant really do yourself any harm from playing in some awkward way because over time, just like it would normally, your hands/arms will get used to the strain and build muscle that it needs, the only way you can do yourself damage is playing too much. If you start hurting its time to stop playing!
Not entirely... I mean, you can strain your wrists, hand or arm like in RSI, where you have a wrong way of using your wrists. That would really damage your hands. But there are many 'good' techniques, even if it's not 'what all the cool guys are doing'. I think you meant that.
Bad technique is where you have to strain to do something. Everything you do on guitar should feel natural, not pushed.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Check out Freepower's technique sticky up above. In there he mentions a technique where you put your thumb up over the neck and pivot your wrist like opening a door for bends.

I haven't tried it yet because its the first i've heard about it but again, check out his sticky on that and other interesting tid bits on bends that he lists. They're good suggestions.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.