I know it's a really general question, but I just have no clue where to start... So, I figured I try to get the help of all of you awesome UGers! (Would kissing up do me any good? heh heh...)
To help, here is a little a little background on myself:
I am a guitarist, and I'll play just about any style. (I can't think of any I don't play, but I'm sure there is something)
I don't have a band, but I can make reasonably good backing tracks.
I'm in the suburbs.

So yeah, with this incredibly broad question, anyone have any tips for finding a getting gigs? Or just making a bit of money off of my music? I love playing, but I would also like to see it be productive. thanks for any help in advance!
first headbang stack.

Quote by RANDUMB!

I am a guitarist, and I'll play just about any style. (I can't think of any I don't play, but I'm sure there is something)

Klezmer.

That will be all.
MATTERHORN
Quote by RANDUMB!

i stopped reading at that part.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Make a lemonade stand.
Schecter C-1 Elite-->BOSS ME-20-->B-52 AT100 2x12

Quote by laid-to-waste
Extremely attractive woman.
extremely attractive
oh baby
EDIT: you're a guy. shit.
...an extremely attractive guy.
extremely attractive
oh baby

E-Paramour of Andrea55
Fap on passers-by and hope that one owns a bar or club and get you in on some "musical" action.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by Beautiful
Make a lemonade stand.

keeping this one in mind.

and theogonia777, sorry if that came out wrong. I wasn't trying to sound arrogant, I was just trying to avoid limiting my options.
first headbang stack.

Email venues. That's about it.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

First, I'd say to get a band. Venues are MUCH less likely to book solo artists, unless they've got a clear group of people who go to see them.

Second, the best thing you can do is network. The best way to do this, for someone in your position, is to go see as many other local bands as you can. After the band plays, go and find one of their members (most often either the singer or guitarist handles networking), and talk to him. Suck up a bit, but also mention how you have a group, looking to play shows, etc. They very well may have an offer for you, or a phone number/facebook/email address of someone who you can talk to. This way works. Trust me.
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
If you're by yourself it will be harder. Just email and call places you want to play. Be prepared to get rejected since you aren't really established or you'll get the earliest time slot and play at 7:00 for 30 minutes in front of 15 people. You have to start somewhere and get a fan base established. Like I said, your main problem is not having an actual band.
Quote by silhouettica
First, I'd say to get a band. Venues are MUCH less likely to book solo artists, unless they've got a clear group of people who go to see them.

Second, the best thing you can do is network. The best way to do this, for someone in your position, is to go see as many other local bands as you can. After the band plays, go and find one of their members (most often either the singer or guitarist handles networking), and talk to him. Suck up a bit, but also mention how you have a group, looking to play shows, etc. They very well may have an offer for you, or a phone number/facebook/email address of someone who you can talk to. This way works. Trust me.

Hope that helps.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Quote by RANDUMB!
keeping this one in mind.

and theogonia777, sorry if that came out wrong. I wasn't trying to sound arrogant, I was just trying to avoid limiting my options.

like someone else said, get a band first. playing live with backing tracks can be very tricky, unless you want to be one of those cool guys who just sits on stage with an acoustic and sings and plays harmonica. that can work, but it's not for everyone, and if it's not for you getting a band together is probably your best bet, even if it does take time.

just be open to playing different things and look all around for people to play with. also, try playing at any local open mic nights. that's a good way to meet people while getting out and playing in front of people.

and you said you can make backing tracks, so maybe try to record a demo of your playing, and put it up on the internet or give copies to all your friends. it might eventually get out to someone that will find it interesting and that could very well lead to meeting up with you could potentially start up a project with.

another thing to consider is that their are bands that write and record albums without playing live shows, which is something to consider. it is much harder to be successful that way, and music is very difficult to succeed in as it is, but you never know. and if you put out completed albums there is always the possibility that you will be able to find people that would be interested in playing that material live.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you really want to be a solo act, start playing (for free) at local open mic nights, gaining experience and hopefully a few fans. Then after a month or two of that email pubs/bars asking to perform, they are more likely to say yes if you have experience performing and a few fans, even if its just your friends.

Also, if you can, record a demo tape, if you send a venue a sample of your songs - recorded properly, they are much more likely to accept you to play there.
Check out some local promoters. If they like you they will book you again, ofcourse you need to actually bring a crowd to make any significant impact.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Klezmer.

That will be all.

just play polka with phyrgian dominant scale.

that will be all.
#DTWD