Budget: about $800 total but I could stretch a little more if I must. I don't have a cab, but I have seen a couple Avatar 2x12 cabs for $200 I could snatch up (so if recommending a head it should be in the $600-650 range).

Genres: I play a lot of progressive rock and metal (Coheed and Cambria, Dream Theater, Protest the Hero), but I also need decent classic rock and hard rock tones. Cleans should be serviceable, but I don't need them to be amazing.

Guitar: I'll be playing through a Schecter C-1 Elite.

New or used: My parents have gotten burned in the past on Ebay, so it would have to be an amazing deal for them to let me buy from there. Used gear from Guitar Center or other similar places are okay with them, though.

Home or gig: Mostly home use, though I do sometimes play with my old band from high school - and the drummer is LOUD.

Closest city: West Palm Beach, Florida.

I found a Mesa Boogie Mark III head for $600 on Guitar Center's used site, but after I contacted the store yesterday it must have been bought because this morning it's no longer listed. I've been looking at the Carvin V3 and Peavey JSX as well, but neither of those are available locally so I'd have to buy blind. Before it's suggested, I tried out a 6505+ 1x12, and though it was pretty good it's not really what I'm looking for.
i've seen V3s popping up used for $600 and under.

or maybe a used jsx combo.

edit: if you buy used from GC you have a return period.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Mark III for 600? Damnnn I just paid 867 for one haha, I know I overpaid, but hopefully it'll pay off in tone. Was the one you looked up a modded blue stripe "C+" by chance? 60 watt, 60/100, or simulclass?
Peavey Vypyr
Can't be too expensive, more likely to find a combo, one of the best amps out there as far as I'm concerned
Diverse sounds too
Quote by Infalla
Mark III for 600? Damnnn I just paid 867 for one haha, I know I overpaid, but hopefully it'll pay off in tone. Was the one you looked up a modded blue stripe "C+" by chance? 60 watt, 60/100, or simulclass?

I'm not sure which stripe it was, that was actually what I had contacted the store about. A few hours later the listing was taken down off the website.

After scouring the GC used site, I found the following:

a Carvin V3 head for $450
a JSX 2x12 combo for $650
a purple stripe Mark III head for $750

I would have to stretch my budget by $150 or so to get the Mesa, while the other two options would leave me well within my comfortable range. What do you guys think I should go for? I really appreciate the help, by the way.

EDIT: The Vypyr tube does seem pretty good as well. I followed 311's thread about it and was pretty impressed. Guess I'll add it to the list as well.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at May 7, 2011,
i thought the jsx combo was a 112? my bad, a 212 combo is one heavy piece of gear.

i haven't tried the v3, it get's some good nods, but traditionally carvin gear has poor resale value. i'm not saying it should, just that the brand does. take from that what you will but i'm a fan of carvin gear that i have tried.
Quote by Rock'n'Roller
Peavey Vypyr
Can't be too expensive, more likely to find a combo, one of the best amps out there as far as I'm concerned
Diverse sounds too

Vypyr? This is tube stuff we're talking about. Fair enough, it's one of the best modelling amps but we want the real deal.

What about bugeras?
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by dtmaiden
Vypyr? This is tube stuff we're talking about. Fair enough, it's one of the best modelling amps but we want the real deal.

What about bugeras?

boxed wine has no cork d00d.

Quote by gregs1020
i thought the jsx combo was a 112? my bad, a 212 combo is one heavy piece of gear.

i haven't tried the v3, it get's some good nods, but traditionally carvin gear has poor resale value. i'm not saying it should, just that the brand does. take from that what you will but i'm a fan of carvin gear that i have tried.

It's actually pretty funny, the first piece of gear I was looking at when I decided it was time for new amp was the Carvin V3m when it first came out. Then they bumped the price for the head from 600 to 700 and I gave up on that. Now I'm back around to the original V3, and the more I hear about it the more I like it. Seems very versatile, and despite mixed reviews the clips I've heard sound really good.

Plus, this way I can put the extra money into a better cab. Are there any good 2x12's in the $300 range, or should I look used there as well?
Update: I just bought the V3! Pretty happy with the deal, even with tax and shipping charges it was a little over $550. Plus, it's in near-perfect condition.

Now I just have to find a cabinet for it. I have $250 to spend, any suggestions? Could I run a 70 or 80 watt 1x12 without problems if I keep the V3 in 50 watt mode, or do I need to get a 2x12 or 4x12? I've never had a head/cab setup before, so sorry if these questions have obvious answers.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at May 8, 2011,