So I am trying to learn a piece with a lot of 4 fret stretches. I could probably use a capo, but it isn't impossible to do it without. I am really ahving trouble with the following hand position:

E X
B X
G 2
D 2
A 6
E 4

sometimes I also need to go up to two or fifth fret on the top 2 strings as well. (Song is Into the Dead Sky by At the Gates if someone wants to look at the tabs.

does anyone have advice or excersizes to help me build stretch distance and endurance for pieces with a lot of stretchin involved?
Anxiously Anticipating An Attractive ADA-MP1 Addition!
You'll learn it faster than you would think when you just keep doing it. You could first try that chord upper on the neck so you won't have stretch so much, and then move down the neck.
Use your 1st finger on the second fret (barring both strings), 2nd finger on the 4th fret and 4th finger on the 6th fret.

EDIT: NEver read your post correctly. N/m.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
wow that sounds really really hard xD
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Anyone can make 4 fret stretches pretty comfortably with correct hand position.

Your thumb has to be behind the neck opposite your middle finger, and your left wrist must be fairly straight. Tilting the neck up can help a lot, as can wearing the instrument high or sitting with it on the left leg rather than right.

In short - this isn't even a "stretch" if you have good posture.
just keep practicing stretching and building it up really..

when i stopped playing for a year and wanted to build up little finger again i started playing with power chords from the a string at 8th fret then stretching pinky up to 10th and 12th for a bit just to get started ended up working it into a riff.. then i realised it sounded exactly like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccfRrrBz70c :<

pretty sure theres a capo in play on that track though
Quote by Freepower
Anyone can make 4 fret stretches pretty comfortably with correct hand position.

Your thumb has to be behind the neck opposite your middle finger, and your left wrist must be fairly straight. Tilting the neck up can help a lot, as can wearing the instrument high or sitting with it on the left leg rather than right.

In short - this isn't even a "stretch" if you have good posture.

This kind of stuff is why I stopped buying guitar magazines.

Just relax and do what feels good. Your hands will develop good technique on their own.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
^ that's pretty much the end goal of the advice I'm giving. Except you know, it's more helpful.

Plenty of people, most people, do things that feel awful and need a little pointer here and there.
listen to freepower, he has improved my playing in so many ways, and I have never even met the guy.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.