Hi. I've been playing guitar for soon 2 years, but I feel like I suck at it. I see people on the internet that does for example the Master of Puppets solos after 1 year and such and I can't even do some simple solos like Shook me all night long, without practicing for a couple of days or so (If I'm not practicing it for like 2 hours straight, which I don't really enjoy if it's not going well). I just wonder if it's me that sucks or if it is those others who play frequently all the time?
Line6 Spider IV 75
Blackstar HT 20 Combo
ESP LTD EC-401
Washburn WG-580
Last edited by littleman33 at May 8, 2011,
Everyone has their own pace. I've been playing for about 2 years and IDGAF how well other people play: i'm still enjoying myself.
(although You Shook Me All Night Long was the first solo i ever learnt )

DO. NOT. GIVE UP.

...unless you want to (you pussy!)
Quote by SG_dave
For people to be doing such solos after a year, i'm guessing they dedicated most of their free time to just that one section.

There's no hard and fast rule for how much you should progress in a set period of time. Just keep at it brah.

Everything this guy said, that's the only answer you need. Just stay positive and more importantly enjoy it..
http://www.facebook.com/someofusneverdie

Check us out, we'd really appreciate any feedback or support.

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Yamaha RGX-A2
Orange Thunderverb 200H
Orange PPC412 Cab
- Woo!!
Boss TU-2, ISP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy
^indeed

just keep practicing

how often and for how many hours do you practice?
maybe ou do have a life other than guitar

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
first of all! they might be lieng.
second i have the guitar for almost 3 years and dude i only started last summer and i don't suck at all, i'm learning scales 'cause i can play solos but i wanna improvise them xD, but i tell you never quit....
if you like guitar you should keep on trying, i love guitar and i might spent 48 hours playing till i blackout xD, but man don't quit...

really those guys r right î
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Last edited by gutu at May 7, 2011,
Chances are they did nothing but practice for hours every day if they can play decently after a year. It took me 3 or 4 years of casual learning to play at a level I was happy with. That's when I started dedicating more time to it and 2 years later I gave up because it got boring, so I guess just don't work at it more than you want to, it'll feel like a chore and you'll potentially come to hate it like I did.
Call me Matthew.
Sounds like you need you need to be more self-motivated, but I understand that's hard to do at times. But like stated above, just keep at it.

Anothe way to think of it is, if you think you suck, and you quit practicing, you'll never get better right? But likewise, practice makes perfect!
Quote by rickyj
^indeed

just keep practicing

how often and for how many hours do you practice?

Hmm. Around 2 hours per day, but I don't practice all the time then, since i got school.
Line6 Spider IV 75
Blackstar HT 20 Combo
ESP LTD EC-401
Washburn WG-580
OH and: Don't have limits. You are your own master.

...just think about it dude!
If you can play something on the guitar it makes no difference to the listener if it took you ten days to learn or ten years.
So take it at your own pace, and keep having fun, don't over-practice to the point where you hate it.
Also if it makes you feel any better, I've been playing for more than 4 years now and I probably couldn't play the MoP solo.
Up The Boro!
Quote by Masshuu
Chances are they did nothing but practice for hours every day if they can play decently after a year. It took me 3 or 4 years of casual learning to play at a level I was happy with. That's when I started dedicating more time to it and 2 years later I gave up because it got boring, so I guess just don't work at it more than you want to, it'll feel like a chore and you'll potentially come to hate it like I did.

I like playing the guitar, but it feels like is suck at it, and I wanna be good too.
I don't really know what to practice (songs, books, etc)
Line6 Spider IV 75
Blackstar HT 20 Combo
ESP LTD EC-401
Washburn WG-580
Quote by littleman33
Hmm. Around 2 hours per day, but I don't practice all the time then, since i got school.

You're practicing more than I ever did. But i was lucky to join a band practically straight away with a friend who was amazing at guitar. He taught me so much, and now I'm showing off sweep picking to him 5 years down the line.
Quote by littleman33
I like playing the guitar, but it feels like is suck at it, and I wanna be good too.
I don't really know what to practice (songs, books, etc)

Really all you can do is just keep practicing the songs you want to be good at, but don't practice so much that you're not enjoying it any more, that's what I did and it just went downhill from there. I'd recommend you read through: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9. Its the forum for anything technique related, so they'll have a lot of information on what to practice if you want to improve picking or dexerity etc.
Call me Matthew.
Just so you know, you may feel like you suck, but I'm sure your opinion is limited to mostly yourself. I'm sure the next person that hears you play won't think the same thing. Just because you can't pull a Herman Li at a million miles an hour doesn't mean you suck. Besides, the people that get that far after a year are different people. Everyone progresses at a different pace.

Myself, I play in Jazz band at school. I've been playing for about 6 years and working on my improvisation for probably 4 or so. I still think my solos during rehearsal suck, have no feeling, are repetitive, and never fit the music, but the majority of the band disagrees. Like I said before, your opinions toward yourself don't always hold true for the rest of the world.
I once went through that phase. I felt that my time wasn't going anywhere when I practiced, I felt that I sucked, and I felt that I was quite behind for the amount of time I had been playing guitar. Then I just got over it and realized that even if that stuff was true, it didn't even matter. You should be playing for yourself. Every time you practice it should be to your enjoyment.
LARGE TEXT
just keep practicing man. It helps if your friends are into guitar too. An if you enjoy guitar, you wont mind playing 2 hours straight
Everyone learns at their own pace. I've been playing for... almost three years? and I'm not that great either, but I realized that I play cause it's fun, not to compare with others, so yea... If you like it, why should it matter if you're a slower learner?
Just enjoy yourself, don't worry about how "good you are" it's not a competition. Just enjoy the time you have with your instrument and appreciate the skills of the true masters. We all have periods where we think we "can't play", these are usually where you learn the most.

Also we all know people who claim they can play "such and such" but when you actually hear them they're sloppy, out of time or just outright playing it wrong. So unless you've heard these guys/girls play don't take any notice of their claims...
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Why worry about it? It's all about whether or not you're enjoying it. If you're enjoying it, the keep at it and don't worry about how "good you are".
EDIT:
Quote by Basti95
^what all these guys said. for TS

edit: new page fail

40ppp heavily reduces page failure
Last edited by stratdud39 at May 7, 2011,
Meh, i've been playing for 4 years and i pretty much suck. I just rock out once in a while for my own enjoyment. You don't have to quit athough you're not as good as you'd like to be, just enjoy being a rockstar in your bedroom.
You shouldn't really worry about how good you are at a certain point. What matters is whether you enjoy it or not. I quit playing guitar because all I really cared about was getting "good", and that sort of defeats the purpose of playing as a hobby.
Ive been playing for seven years an hour or 2 a day and im still not happy with my playing because their is always new stuff to learn. If learning how to play faster is that important to you learn to play faster take lessons so you learn where to improve
If you can't do this then you should give up.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Don't care what others think. There's more to playing the guitar than hitting the right notes. Just because someone hasn't been playing long and can hit the wrote notes doesn't make them a good guitar player.
I think if you had been playing for only 3months, you could play the master of puppets solo, it just depends how much you work at it. For someone playing 3months it might take like 2months of playing that single section to get it right. So whether or not it's worth it i don't know.
I personally have played some pretty crazy stuff. I played what i think is still a really ****ing difficult solo after 10months of playing, but i spent 3 weeks on that section alone.
I've been playing 2years now and i don't know how i played something like it 14months ago.
You really shouldn't let other peoples playing interfere with yours. You can play anything you want, it all depends on how much time you put in.
But i say, if you don't enjoy doing it, then don't put in the time. I could never spend weeks now learning a single solo because i just wouldn't enjoy it. It's not worth the time for me.
Don't stress man.

Just practice practice practice, and in time playing even the toughest solos will become much easier.

Guitar is a hobby man! Its supposed to be fun. My advice would be to take things slow. As the saying goes, 'Rome wasn't built in a day'.
666 BRO
Also a guitarist's worth should not be based on how well they play other artist's material.
666 BRO
Did Rocky give up? The answer is no he went back and beat Apollo Creed, then Clubber Lang, then a scary ass Rusian. After Rocky IV it doesn't matter but either way be like Rocky.