Hey guys, I need some fast help. I'm trying to improvise a solo from Joan osbourne's 'if god was one of us'. I know that in the original solo,there's F#,C# and G# in it. So I figured the key of the song,which is in c#minor/e major. So I tried to solo using the pentatonic scale. Somehow the 'taste' of my solo isn't matching that of the song. So tell me where did I go wrong? Am I supposed to use a major or minor scale? But then yet again,the notes in the major/minor scale is almost the same as the minor and major pentatonic scale.
i know nothing about scales
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Quote by onlyoneleft
Hey guys, I need some fast help. I'm trying to improvise a solo from Joan osbourne's 'if god was one of us'. I know that in the original solo,there's F#,C# and G# in it. So I figured the key of the song,which is in c#minor/e major. So I tried to solo using the pentatonic scale. Somehow the 'taste' of my solo isn't matching that of the song. So tell me where did I go wrong? Am I supposed to use a major or minor scale? But then yet again,the notes in the major/minor scale is almost the same as the minor and major pentatonic scale.

"Almost the same" is not the same as "the same" - if you use the wrong scale there'll be more iffy notes than if you use the correct scale, and if you keep hitting those wrong notes thewn yes, it's going to sound off.

The song's in F#m, so the scale you'd be using is F#m...I have no idea where you got E major or C# minor from as potential keys as neither of those chords feature in the song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm, if the UG tab

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/joan_osborne/what_if_god_was_one_of_us_crd.htm

is to be believed, it's not in E major or F# minor, it's in E minor/G major and all the chords are diatonic. So that's where you need to be.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Capo at the 2nd fret though, so I think it's safe to assume that although the chords are played " as written" they'll all be transposed up 2 semitones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Fair enough. It wasn't clear from the OP if he was capoing up, playing in Em, or playing in F#m without a capo via barre chords.

At the end of the day, OP needs to learn how to tell what key a song is in because whoever's singing is going to feel free to change it on him.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
But hey, in the lead parts (the intro theme) of the song, there's a F#,C# and a G#. So it doesn't make sense if it's e minor/g major right? Cos there's only F# in g major. Oh wait it's in A major. 3 sharps means it's A major.
It's not in A major, it's in F# minor - because that's what it resolves to.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by onlyoneleft
But hey, in the lead parts (the intro theme) of the song, there's a F#,C# and a G#. So it doesn't make sense if it's e minor/g major right? Cos there's only F# in g major. Oh wait it's in A major. 3 sharps means it's A major.

There are two options for a scale having three sharps though. It can be major or minor. F# minor is the relative minor of A major, so the scale have the same notes, but they have different roots and resolve differently.