I need some new running shoes after my Asics have decided to crumble. I'm looking at the Kayano 17 Series at the moment but I really want to try something new. I'm looking to spend around £80.

Any recommendations?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
If you ever go trail running, or off the road at all, I recommend Salomon's.

I currently run in Salomon Crossmax Neutral's. Love them
My God, it's full of stars!
Don't spend much on running shoes. Just get a really really simple pair. I'm not one of those people who think everyone should run barefoot, but that line of thinking is in the right direction. Seriously I've always used running shoes that cost me about 20 USD.
We're only strays.
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't go off road at all so that might not be the best options. Lately, I've been hearing the Brooks Adrenaline series is good - so I'm looking at that as well. I've gotta admit, the home brands (Nike, Puma, Adidas, Reebok) still look tempting though...

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Don't spend much on running shoes. Just get a really really simple pair. I'm not one of those people who think everyone should run barefoot, but that line of thinking is in the right direction. Seriously I've always used running shoes that cost me about 20 USD.

No way, I don't want my feet to injure. I've got arched feet so I need some stability support and you can't get that for $20. I wouldn't dream of buying such a pair of cheap running shoes.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at May 7, 2011,
I just ran in my new Nike Lunarmax+, they are $120 but $70 at champs sports. I like them.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by Harmonius
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't go off road at all so that might not be the best options. Lately, I've been hearing the Brooks Adrenaline series is good - so I'm looking at that as well. I've gotta admit, the home brands (Nike, Puma, Adidas, Reebok) still look tempting though...

No way, I don't want my feet to injure. I've got arched feet so I need some stability support and you can't get that for $20. I wouldn't dream of buying such a pair of cheap running shoes.

I have high arches and I used to run with shoes that had lots of cushioning. The best ones I owned were ASICS Nimbus.
nike runners are good. it's the only reasonably good product with them.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Harmonius

A lot of runners are of the mind that those more expensive shoes worsen foot condition. I tend to agree, if only on the grounds that those types of shoes have been around for all of 50 years at best, and obviously people didn't need them before.
We're only strays.
Also, don't fall into the Vibram Fivefingers fad. If you want, do the research and see if they're right for you and fit your wants. However you said you don't do any trail running, so stay away from them.
Quote by Dreadnought
I have high arches and I used to run with shoes that had lots of cushioning. The best ones I owned were ASICS Nimbus.

Yeah, my current Asics are Nimbus - can't remember what series but they definitely need replacing after several runs - they're literally crumbling. I've also heard for support, the Mizuno Wave Nirvana is a good choice. There are so many to choose from. I think this time, I'd prefer going with something other than Asics.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

The problem with "cushioned" shoes is that they prevent you from knowing how your running form is. The cushioning takes out the feedback element. That is why minimal shoes are better, even if not vibrams. They keep you more connected to the ground so you know what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Vibrams are not a fad. Their use is growing and growing every year. People run marathons in them, they trail run, they do crossfit, etc... Getting closer to barefoot is better, it is more natural. Shoes with heels make you heel strike, which causes you to take a larger amount of force with each step then with a forefront strike, which is a more gradual absorption of force.

Here is a video explaining barefoot running by a Harvard Professor who did scientific research on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
All my long-distance running friends wear ASICS, though I've personally never used them.
If you're serious about running, then a good pair of shoes are VERY important. If you're logging +15mi/week, a $20 pair of shoes will not cut it and you will eventually end up with stress fractures in your feet if you're not doing it right.

I would recommend going into a professional running shoe store so they can see how you run, that is, your gait, how you land, etc. That'll give you good insight as to what shoe will work best for you. For me personally, I have a medium arch, and am a pretty neutral runner and have found the Nike LunarElite+ is pretty good.
Last edited by burndttoast at May 7, 2011,
It is that hard to pick a pair of running shoes? I can go jogging with a pair of 'ol good chucks and I'm fine with it. On a side note I think that running barefoot is BS shoes were made for a purpose and that is protect our terrestrial locomotion.
The Nike Lunars are pretty awesome.

I don't do much running myself, but they are amazingly light and comfortable.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by burndttoast
If you're serious about running, then a good pair of shoes are VERY important. If you're logging +15mi/week, a $20 pair of shoes will not cut it and you will eventually end up with stress fractures in your feet if you're not doing it right.

I would recommend going into a professional running shoe store so they can see how you run, that is, your gait, how you land, etc. That'll give you good insight as to what shoe will work best for you. For me personally, I have a medium arch, and am a pretty neutral runner and have found the Nike LunarElite+ is pretty good.

Yeah, that's the thing. I've only decided to look at the choices at the moment - I just did a quick check on the Nike Free Run+2 Livestrong. I clock around 25+ miles a week so yeah, I do run quite a bit. I'll check out the LunarElite+.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Yeah, that's the thing. I've only decided to look at the choices at the moment - I just did a quick check on the Nike Free Run+2 Livestrong. I clock around 25+ miles a week so yeah, I do run quite a bit. I'll check out the LunarElite+.

Get the lightest shoes you can. Those toe shoes posted earlier (can't remember the name) are brilliant. My dad runs about 35 miles a week, and they're pretty much all he runs in. They're definitely his favourite, that's for sure.
Quote by blackborrego
It is that hard to pick a pair of running shoes? I can go jogging with a pair of 'ol good chucks and I'm fine with it. On a side note I think that running barefoot is BS shoes were made for a purpose and that is protect our terrestrial locomotion.

Why are they BS?

People were barefoot for our entire existence up until recently. The running shoe is a new invention. That is why minimal shoes are a great option for the average person. Protection against the elements, glass, pavement, but not so much that it impacts how you run, which is what running shoes do.

I also doubt you've ever worn minimalist shoes.

I thought they were dumb, and then I actually tried a pair. I did the scientific research, and I found that their purpose made sense. I love them now. I had serious shin splints through my entire life, I had surgery in both my legs because I had serious compartment syndrome as a result of running. My gait was 1/3 of what it should have been, I went to physical therapy to try and increase my ankle flexibility because it was so damaged.

I change shoes, and voila! Everything starts to change. No pain when I run, my feet are more comfortable, my ankle flexibility and gait are improving, and I know what I'm doing wrong when I'm doing it wrong.

That is why I'm so adamant about running in minimal shoes or just going barefoot. I've suffered my entire life as a part of this "you needs to have heavily padded sneakers" shit and it destroyed my legs. Now I've finally been set free, and I just want everyone to be freed from the pain that I had to endure for so long.

EDIT: Running is also more enjoyable now.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Last edited by TunerAddict at May 7, 2011,
Quote by TunerAddict
The problem with "cushioned" shoes is that they prevent you from knowing how your running form is. The cushioning takes out the feedback element. That is why minimal shoes are better, even if not vibrams. They keep you more connected to the ground so you know what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Vibrams are not a fad. Their use is growing and growing every year. People run marathons in them, they trail run, they do crossfit, etc... Getting closer to barefoot is better, it is more natural. Shoes with heels make you heel strike, which causes you to take a larger amount of force with each step then with a forefront strike, which is a more gradual absorption of force.

Here is a video explaining barefoot running by a Harvard Professor who did scientific research on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

They are most definitely a fad. Maybe not in your particular area, but they are in mine as well as in any Crossfit circles. Crossfit is also a fad.
I've always used Kalenji's - only £10. Obviously they aren't great, but I find them more than adequate and I consider myself a fairly serious runner.
Have a Christmas
Quote by TunerAddict
Why are they BS?

People were barefoot for our entire existence up until recently. The running shoe is a new invention. That is why minimal shoes are a great option for the average person. Protection against the elements, glass, pavement, but not so much that it impacts how you run, which is what running shoes do.

I also doubt you've ever worn minimalist shoes.

I thought they were dumb, and then I actually tried a pair. I did the scientific research, and I found that their purpose made sense. I love them now. I had serious shin splints through my entire life, I had surgery in both my legs because I had serious compartment syndrome as a result of running. My gait was 1/3 of what it should have been, I went to physical therapy to try and increase my ankle flexibility because it was so damaged.

I change shoes, and voila! Everything starts to change. No pain when I run, my feet are more comfortable, my ankle flexibility and gait are improving, and I know what I'm doing wrong when I'm doing it wrong.

That is why I'm so adamant about running in minimal shoes or just going barefoot. I've suffered my entire life as a part of this "you needs to have heavily padded sneakers" shit and it destroyed my legs. Now I've finally been set free, and I just want everyone to be freed from the pain that I had to endure for so long.

EDIT: Running is also more enjoyable now.

Well you also have to consider that everyone's body is different, as well as their running motion.
We're only strays.
Quote by Dreadnought
They are most definitely a fad. Maybe not in your particular area, but they are in mine as well as in any Crossfit circles. Crossfit is also a fad.

Crossfit isn't just a fad, it sucks.

I've heard that Five Fingers have become increasingly popular in the military, although they are being banned in many cases. True?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
Crossfit isn't just a fad, it sucks.

I've heard that Five Fingers have become increasingly popular in the military, although they are being banned in many cases. True?

Crossfit doesn't "suck", nor do Fivefingers. I own a pair of Fivefingers which I love, and use for trail runs occasionally, and some of my workouts cross over into Crossfit "methodology."

Just because they are fads doesn't remove any of their viability. But they are still fads.

The point I'm making is that Fivefingers, and Crossfit, aren't THE answer, as so many on the internet and in the fitness world these days are claiming.

They aren't intended to be, but with fads come extreme fad-ists...
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well you also have to consider that everyone's body is different, as well as their running motion.

That is the thing, there shouldn't be a real difference in running motion. The human body is set up in such a way that forefoot striking is how it is meant to be.

Go outside and run barefoot, then put on running shoes and do it. Don't think about how you're running, just do it. I bet you notice that there is a difference.

The idea that people are different is a bit of a cop out. Are people different? Sure. But bio mechanically, not so much. In theory, people should all be running in relatively the same fashion.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by Dreadnought
Crossfit doesn't "suck", nor do Fivefingers. I own a pair of Fivefingers which I love, and use for trail runs occasionally, and some of my workouts cross over into Crossfit "methodology."

Just because they are fads doesn't remove any of their viability. But they are still fads.

The point I'm making is that Fivefingers, and Crossfit, aren't THE answer, as so many on the internet and in the fitness world these days are claiming.

They aren't intended to be, but with fads come extreme fad-ists...

I'll agree with you on that notion. Nothing is "the" answer.

From personal experience, I've seen a massive benefit to minimalist running, and I just want to convey my satisfaction, along with some scientific research.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I've been using Brooks Glycerin 8s for the past year or so and they're superb for me but different makes of shoe suit different feet. Many running shops offer a video analysis service of your running style on a treadmill and can recommend shoes which will offer the sort of support you need. I did this at my local branch of Up and Running which is how I ended up with my shoes and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Try some other Asics. I love Asics. Just TODAY I ran HCR, Helsinki City Run in Finland, a half a marathon. This was my third time and Im currently 15. Time was 2.07.

Asics feel great (for me atleast) and they wont let you down, never had any problems with any pair of them that Ive owned. The current Asics that Im running with I payed 90e for.

Good jogs!
I've been using FFs for the last 3/4 of a year, and I charted some quick times training with them exclusively.

I may switch to something with a bit more padding, if not heel and arch support, though.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
I run in new balances these days and they are decent. But in high school when I ran cross country I ran in Nike and Saucony shoes and they were awesome.
I'm a professional runner (among the best in Finland in my age) and I prefer the Asics Kayano. They just fit my feet and I need the sturdiness because I also have very high arches like you (do not buy the Asics Nimbus, they've got good "shock resistance", but not good support for high arches). A lot of my runner friends also like Nike, so check that out aswell.

I'm sorry if I don't make much sense, I do not know the correct English terminology in this subject :/
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by Muffinz
I'm a professional runner (among the best in Finland in my age) and I prefer the Asics Kayano. They just fit my feet and I need the sturdiness because I also have very high arches like you (do not buy the Asics Nimbus, they've got good "shock resistance", but not good support for high arches). A lot of my runner friends also like Nike, so check that out aswell.

I'm sorry if I don't make much sense, I do not know the correct English terminology in this subject :/

Olitko Helsinki City Runissa?
Quote by tr3nt
I just ran in my new Nike Lunarmax+, they are $120 but $70 at champs sports. I like them.

Nike Lunars are FTW. I've had a pair of LunarGlides, they are a really good choice for you I guess, as they have a dynamic support system, which might be really useful, according to the OP.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Fivefingers: best thing i ever did for my non-existent arches (got a good one now) and shin splints.

Side effects: Increased balance, higher jumps, and very sore calves.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by CG Man16
Fivefingers: best thing i ever did for my non-existent arches (got a good one now) and shin splints.

Side effects: Increased balance, higher jumps, and very sore calves.

This reminds me of what happened today. Two months ago I was playing basketball and war barely getting rim. Spring comes and I break my vibrams back out and now I'm (nearly)dunking.

Instead of standing on your heels, like most people do in shoes, your legs actually have to work to support your weight when you're on the front of your feet. Strengthens legs by doing so.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I've just skimmed this thread so this is just a side note really.

The nike lunarglide 2+ might look cool but the tread peeled off mine before I reached 100 miles, I got them replaced but it appears to be a common problem as the guy who replaced them for me had the same issue. I replaced them with the lunarswift which I like much more and they don't have any portion of the sole that can separate.
@-}-}-}-
I've heard about the negative effects shoes have on our feet, but never gave it a second thought until this thread. Interesting stuff bout these FiveFinger shoes.

If I ever get into running, and decide to get something after these $20 nikes and sambas, I'll get the fivefinger bikila.

Call it a fad, whatever, going green is a fad, dollar menus are a fad, ****in pants that zip into shorts was a fad, just calling something a fad doesn't make it less legitimate or beneficial. Idk why you'd be against a fad for simply being a fad.

This video also sold me on them, plus the fact that they're kinda reasonably priced.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
They're really awesome: i've had mine for two years. Just make sure you follow the washing instructions cause they can get to smell really bad and if you stick them in the dryer some glue/stitches might come undone.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?