Page 1 of 2
I'm about to lose my car since I can't pay for insurance next year. I need a car because we generally play a long way from home and I won't be able to bring my amp on public transport with me because its too big (JCM800 2x12 combo) I also have a second band which requires travelling to get to them.

Is there any way to get around not having an amp for gigs? Then I just need to turn up with a guitar and play? I was wondering whether I could have a small amp and run it through a PA but we play a lot and in half of the venues the PA can barely handle the vocals.

I might try and borrow amps, but again we have the questionable quality thing and we have the issue of sometimes there not being any or no good will between people

TL;DR Is there anything anyone can think of which would effectively mean I could just turn up with an electric guitar and play?
man ur scrwd.... u could buy a crappy amp small so you can carry, like what... 15 or 30watts but i dunno if it would help ya, if you had a bunch of pedals and a amp good for pedals you would be abble to carry all in bag...
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
In my main band there is another driver. It's not currently possible to get us all in the car with all the gear. We're looking at getting a trailer, but it still doesn't make it easier, sometimes the other driver has other commitments so they have to meet us at the gig where we'll have set up her drum kit.

The other issue is that in my other bands, I'm the driver.

EDIT: I'd like to be able to get a speaker small enough to carry but big enough to gig with. I only use 1 pedal anyway to switch between volumes for rhythm and lead sounds, and I could get more. The problem is I'd still need an actual amp, so a head, but they weigh just as much if not more than the speaker sections so I'd just be breaking the problem into something that could be carried between more hands.

At best I'd be travelling with 1 guitar (though probably 2) 1 head, and 1 cab. I could sling the guitar over my shoulders (though not if I had 2) but I wouldn't be able to carry the other two on public transport. Just the weight really.
Last edited by CobenBlack at May 7, 2011,
that's scrwd.... i would say ask your the other band help to pay the insurance....

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
i really think you see to ask band members for help

Id considered that - They're all broke. They can help pay for petrol, but the cost of the insurance is so high.

to give everyone an idea, I'm 21 and the cheapest I can find insurance is 1700. I've tried to get on my mothers, but she lives 70 miles away so if I do crash then I'd be in trouble for crashing, and then we'd both be in trouble for insurance fraud.
ish man..... try to get a small side job?

But if you can't afford to insure it, live on beans on toast for a month or trade it in for a smaller, less expensive one. It's not like you can really use yours atm..

1700 must suck.. Are you a new driver? None of my friends need to pay that much, and they're 19!
EHX 22 caliber or 44 magnum? That would put your amp head in your pocket and leave you free to carry more.
POD plugged straight into a P.A? It's been done before.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
POD , axe fx
I had two inguinal hernia surgery ( both side ) so i can weight max 40 pounds ( maybe a little more ) .. i cant carry big heavy amp or cabinet .

I bought a rocktron voodu valve ( a preamp that has emulate speaker ) .. and it can connect directly through a P.A .

Basically any preamp with speaker simulation with a XLR OUTPUT or 1/4 output could connect direct to a PA . But the sound will never be as good as a miced amp on stage . but thats a compromise im ready to make .

get a good multi effect and plug direct into P.A .. Axe fx , digidesign eleven rack , rocktron voodu valve , POD etc..

.. if you like a marshall distortion ... i think you should try a rocktron voodu valve .. i found some great high gain sound that remember me of midrangey marshall crunch .

another thing you can do also ( which might not result in very great result but decent ) .. is a speaker simulation pedal plug directly into the P.A

so you would have in example : a distortion pedal ( boss etc.. or whatever or any effect ) and at the end of the chain a speaker simulation pedal that allow oyu to connect directly .

but i would go for a good multi effect . shoudl do the job .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Silent Murder
But if you can't afford to insure it, live on beans on toast for a month or trade it in for a smaller, less expensive one. It's not like you can really use yours atm..

1700 must suck.. Are you a new driver? None of my friends need to pay that much, and they're 19!

If that's annual, seems pretty standard.

I'm 27 with a perfect record and pay 2000 per year for life, auto and rental liability.

Edit: or is that GBP and not Doll-hairs? If it is, he's probably a young driver or has accidents/tickets.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 7, 2011,
if you're so concerned with being in a band thats so far away why dont you learn some fiscal responsibility and pay your damned bills, you can afford a jcm 800 but not car insurance? i take it you also like to have prestige guitars and eat at your local soup kitchen? you need to set some ****ing priorities instead of crying to people on the internet about how much of a lazy sack you are
Quote by effyeahjade
if you're so concerned with being in a band thats so far away why dont you learn some fiscal responsibility and pay your damned bills, you can afford a jcm 800 but not car insurance? i take it you also like to have prestige guitars and eat at your local soup kitchen? you need to set some ****ing priorities instead of crying to people on the internet about how much of a lazy sack you are

Errr a jcm800 2x12 combo will only cots like a quarter of what the yearly car insurance costs so you dont really have a valid point here...
cry me a river so i can swim around and laugh in it, sorry bro i forgot that maybe if you liked getting around town you'd find a way to pay your dues

but since you're in europe ill just suggest you light your car on fire in protest outside of the insurance building
Trolls Troll.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm torn between two options at the moment. I like the idea of the EHX 22, but that would mean finding a speaker and it'd either have to be something small enough to carry or I'd just put it in the car with the drummer. If I was putting the speaker in the car though then I might as well just send the JCM and get the train myself. Unless it was small enough to fit on my knee. Then I guess it would make sense.

Failing that, the P.A. idea sounds reasonable. The only thing I would worry about is the quality of the P.A. Like everyone on the scene you play some places that are well kitted out, but every now and again you'll play somewhere that the P.A. is barely up to it for the vocals, let alone adding a guitar in.

I like both options and I'm going to consider them. If there are any more then please feel free to hit me up. Oh, and if you want an idea of what I'm playing then you can see some of my bands videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Znu852-3qA
the one question that hasn't been asked yet is: what kind of car are you driving? 1700 seems like a lot, I can only imagine that you're driving some sort of power station C'mon - let us know, eh?
My only question for you: Why your videos don't have more views? Pretty sick stuff man.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Haha, thanks man. We really enjoy what we're doing right now and we've been getting some positive feedback so thanks.

And yeah, my cars a pure power beast. Its the ultra sexy, ultra powerful, eats babys to fuel itself 2001 ford fiesta. For the Americans who I don't think have them http://www.teletextcars.co.uk/2001-ford-fiesta =D

I attract many ladies with it =D

On a serious note, car insurance in the UK is very high for male drivers and even if I could find the money, I just don't fancy knowing that I'm working so many hours just to have the right to own my car. It's a ridiculous sum of money.

I really like the power amp idea too. It doesn't really solve any of the issues because I'd still need a speaker, but I love the idea of it =D
Wow am I glad I live in Australia, where 3rd party insurance comes with your registration cost (approx $600aud).
Extra insurance is promoted here but not law
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Get a pod, and an electro harmonix studio 22 caliber. Plug into speakers and you're sorted.
And to answer your sig, yes, I did build a guitar under £100. It's beautiful.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Last edited by dtmaiden at May 7, 2011,
Quote by Tony Ramone
the one question that hasn't been asked yet is: what kind of car are you driving? 1700 seems like a lot, I can only imagine that you're driving some sort of power station C'mon - let us know, eh?

Please change your avatar

TS shop around for insurance and go 3PFT?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
hahahaha! I'd not thought to ask churchill. =D

I've checked a few comparison sites and then checked around what the difference would be adding my mum as a named driver, but it doesn't really drop very much. The cheapest I've found is 1700 which is just daft. Theres so many things I could do with that money other than just own a car you know =D

I'll come up with something anyway =D
really....?

but I get quotes of like 870 for a 56 plate Fiesta Zs and I have no no claims and an accident on my record...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well this is my band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv2_IuU6r5M - wrong link. EDIT: Meant to link this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Znu852-3qA, though it's linked earlier in the thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfLwkNNWlec&feature=related

So hard rock I suppose.
Last edited by CobenBlack at May 7, 2011,
Quote by CobenBlack
really? How old are you? That sounds ridiculously cheap. I know it also varies heavily by area. I'm in Chester now which had always been quite reasonable, but apparently not this year.

EDIT:

Your video is awesome lol

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 7, 2011,
Thanks very much man. We're launching the album on the 19th May. Should be a good time.

I don't know why it's so expensive for me. It could be area. I've always had issues no matter how hard I've looked. I always took it as a sign I should buy a motorbike since I can insure them quite cheaply, but you can't take an amp anywhere on them either. =D
who are you insured with?
how much is your car valued at?
are you fully comp of 3pft?
how honest were you on your quote forms?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by CobenBlack
I was honest on quote forms, there didn't seem to be much to lie about. I'm insured with endsleigh 17-40. The renewal was 1900 a year but I found 1700 by going through a comparison website and about 1600 if I dropped it to third party.

you should try some other companies,

quinn were quite good when i first started driving

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah, don't drive without insurance. It's a dick move.

If you hit me and totaled my car and weren't insured, I'd happily take an assault charge for breaking your knees with a tire iron.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Page 1 of 2