Page 1 of 2
I don't see why not. Some of them are far more impressive than pieces of music/paintings/etc.
Also, it's essentially story-telling, with graphic design, soundtracks, and then just a new style of art (the coding, and immersing players into the game aspect).

Pretty cool I must say.
Quote by Baby Joel
I don't see why not. Some of them are far more impressive than pieces of music/paintings/etc.
Also, it's essentially story-telling, with graphic design, soundtracks, and then just a new style of art (the coding, and immersing players into the game aspect).

Pretty cool I must say.

coming from a game designer... ^ this ^
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
waiting for the uk release.

"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
What's this about only giving grants to games that work for the public good? Don't all games do that?

Sounds like the agency will only give money to people wanting to make a game like Wii Fit or some sort of math game for little kids. And who plays those?
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Hm. I don't play much games anymore, but I totally see the artistic merit in them. It's about damn time!
I always find it odd that Hideo Kojima, who makes some of the more amazing games to come out in the past 20 years, never considered games to be "art".
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by Greenie_777
And so they should be.

I'm sick of people hating on video games.

You can't be serious?
Quote by Eric_Fail
You can't be serious?

Coming from the dude who almost murdered a guy over pizza.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Coming from the dude who almost murdered a guy over pizza.

I didn't lay a hand on him
Quote by Eric_Fail
You can't be serious?

holy shit

quick, greenie, give him all your money and fucking run!
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Oh im sorry, you only kicked his bike and yelled at him for something that wasn't his fault. My mistake, dont hurt me.
pinga
Quote by Eric_Fail
You can't be serious?

I have no idea what I wrote that could have provoked this response?
Cool. There are definitely games out there that warrant the title - ICO, SOTC, maybe (big maybe) Bioshock, some others.

Now if only so much of the rest of the medium could stop being so asinine, and if gamers could get over their ridiculous entitlement complexes, and so on.

EDIT: Having finished reading it now, it's great that indie developers can get funding like this now.
Last edited by Flying Couch at May 7, 2011,
Quote by Greenie_777

You wrote him the wrong pizza.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
You wrote him the wrong pizza.

He can eat what he's given. Think of Africa.
It's nice to see the government do something progressive for a change, even if it's as trivial as funding free indie games.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Why shouldn't they be? They some of them are almost movies. Games are coming a long way and they usually have a ton of work put into them with the music, graphics, design, etc.
Quote by Greenie_777

Not even going to bother, don't play dumb. The amount of 'comedians' in this thread is mind blowing.
Quote by Eric_Fail
Not even going to bother, don't play dumb. The amount of 'comedians' in this thread is mind blowing.

Lol ok.

Freak.
Quote by Eric_Fail

Oh, you're one of THOSE people.
Quote by Eric_Fail

You really are an idiot.

It's amazing you haven't died from drinking a flask of acid in a high school science lab.
As great as I think this is, I honestly can't see any game actually getting a grant. That said though, I would never have seen anything in the same category as them getting one, so who knows?
About time. I'm not as much of a gamer as I once was, but the people who deny the amount of creativity and creation that goes into games are moronic.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I haven't really played video games for years now (though I did play Pokemon Stadium with a friend apropos of nothing yesterday; surprise defeat with my Kangaskhan -wildcard, bitches), but I do admire games that are artfully done, have intricate storylines, impressive programming, etc. Though I do think it's a shame that nowadays a lot of people expect every game to be a Dead Space in terms of graphics and engines and whatnot.
Quote by robhc
As great as I think this is, I honestly can't see any game actually getting a grant. That said though, I would never have seen anything in the same category as them getting one, so who knows?

I think weird arty indie games stand to benefit the most from this, considering even the more modest 'mainstream' games these days cost many millions to develop.
Games could theoretically be artistic but currently I doubt that there are any artistic games at the moment. This is a poor decision.

EDIT: Although with the amount of modernist tosh that is considered 'art' these days, I suppose this is not much worse.
Last edited by Nosferatu Man at May 7, 2011,
Page 1 of 2