Ok, so if I use a set of 11's and tune my guitar to "F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb" (low to high) will i need a truss rod/action adjustment?
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
you shouldn't need an adjustment as long as your action was good with 11's before.....but honestly for tuning that low, you should at least be using "not even slinky's", like 13's at the bare minimum. 11's are gonna be loose....very loose
My Setup:

Schecter Blackjack ATX Solo 6
Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Ibanez TBX150H Amp and 4x12 TBX Cab.
Hardwire TL-2 (Metal Distortion)
Hardwire HT-2 (Chromatic Tuner)
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
hahaha you dont want 11's for that, you need essentially the lower 6 strings of the 8 string, so your low F would be somewhere around 70-76 id imagine, and the high Gb around 17 or so.

Meshuggah use a 70 for the low F, but have the benefit of a 30" scale to keep it taut. You have most likely a 24.75-25.5 inch scale neck on your 6 string, so id say a 74 or 76 is gonna be necessary to keep that F clear.

Anyway, all that extra tension is going to require one helluva truss rod adjustment, so whether your guitar could even handle it well is to be speculated. You sure you want to do this?
Last edited by mishax92 at May 7, 2011,
Quote by mishax92
hahaha you dont want 11's for that, you need essentially the lower 6 strings of the 8 string, so your low F would be somewhere around 70-76 id imagine, and the high Gb around 17 or so.

so would i have to widen the nut slot a little to accommodate the wider gauge?
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
I'm essentially looking to get a "djent" low tuning sound with a 6 string
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
Ugh. That's a painfully low tuning....
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by kandex

Possibly, but theres also the question of whether your machine heads and bridge will allow such a thick string through too.
yeah i hate to say it but, you can pull off a 7 string tuning on a 6, but an 8's a stretch.

NTM the pickups in a 6 string are hardly capable of processing those notes....
My Setup:

Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
Quote by mishax92
Possibly, but theres also the question of whether your machine heads and bridge will allow such a thick string through too.

would it be possible to use 11s on a tuning like A-A-C-F-A-D?
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Quote by Eppicurt

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

PM me for info
Quote by kandex

More like open it up with a shovel. You might as well just cut a new nut. Because once you realize how unplayable a normal scale guitar is in that tuning you'll just go right back.

What you're trying to do is really ridiculous. Just sell your six string and buy an eight string.
yeah, you could score a Schecter Omen 8 String for 400 bucks new....and that would do you justice.... i just don't see this ending well for your 6 xD
My Setup:

Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
Dude don't go through the hassle I've been there. My band used to tune in Drop A, and when I joined I still used a 6, that lasted about 2 months before I bought a baritone scaled 7. Then we went down to drop G, finding strings was a nightmare even for that. At 60 was sloppy at best making that djent style impossible. Now I've got an 8 tuned up to drop G and a 68 on the low end.
Quote by tehbigwilley
yeah i hate to say it but, you can pull off a 7 string tuning on a 6, but an 8's a stretch.

NTM the pickups in a 6 string are hardly capable of processing those notes....

No. You can pull off the 8 string tuning fine and the pickups will work fine. The problem he'll face is tuning post holes needing to be widened, heavy set of strings(13s or 14s), and the slack of that low F#. It's not an easy note to reach on a 6 by any stretch, but it can be done with a setup, and a few more adjustments, be they minor or major.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Impossible? no. Much more of a pain in the ass than necessary if he just had a longer scale? abosolutely
.11's? HAHAHA. My .11s are floppy as hell in drop A#. They'd be like rubber bands down that low. Your neck would be fine, but playing wouldn't be a good experience.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
As stated above, djent is possible with a 7 string, so you don't even have to consider trying to pull off a low F# on 6, as that's more or less an entire octave. I can get djenty sounds in C# with 11's, but if I were you, I'd just get Baritone strings and down to B standard if a 7 is out of the question.
And once you do that, you may want to adjust your guitar, you'll probably not need to tamper with the truss rod, but that depends on your guitar.
i didnt bother to read anything but the title

but if you wanna tune like that, get a 5 string pack of bass strings and a pack of twizzlers, put the 5 bass strings and for the highest string just tape twizzlers on for for decour, who wants to hear music anyways? you need to feel it in your chest

continue to tighten the bass strings until one snaps off an pops you in the eye

you're welcome
You want a djent sound on a six string? Go with the Zyglorx tuning - AGCFAD
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Quote by kandex
would it be possible to use 11s on a tuning like A-A-C-F-A-D?
On my 25.5", I use .010s for that tuning half a step up. I would hazard a gues that .011s would be perfect.

On a 27" scale, I find .080 to have the perfect tension for F to give that exact Meshuggah sound, so maybe an .085? You could always go with .080. There's no reason to drill the tuners... honestly I'd slap anyone that did that. Just unwind the string so you have the core wrapped around the post. I've never had any problems with it and broken strings are worth a lot less than broken tuners.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221

You don't need to tune to F# on a 6 string to get a "djent" tone... ~90% of getting a tone like that is in the technique and how you dial your amp.

Periphery has some heavy songs in drop C. Check out Buttersnips.

Even then, the lowest they currently go on 6 string is for Zyglrox like fantasyh said.
I did G#C#F#BEG# on my LTD for a while, with a 13-70 custom baritone set. But even with an EMG 81 the short scale sounded pretty muddy to me. I really want to get a baritone 7 for drop Ab, I'll keep my 6 in C#G#C#F#A#B.

But the guy above me is right, I can djent in drop C#.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at May 7, 2011,
Quote by Pac_man0123

You don't need to tune to F# on a 6 string to get a "djent" tone... ~90% of getting a tone like that is in the technique and how you dial your amp.

Periphery has some heavy songs in drop C. Check out Buttersnips.

Even then, the lowest they currently go on 6 string is for Zyglrox like fantasyh said.

This. I can get a "djent" sort of sound in Drop c. It's just learning how to mute the top string in a way to get it to sound heavier then it actually is. It's weird lol
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Some keys to getting a "djent" sound:

- Use mids! On my JSX I currently have the mids around 1:00, and that's with an active EQ (a little goes a long way). Just remember, too much midrange can make your sound muffled and undefined. You'll want presence to be a bit higher than normal too, most likely. That being said, different amps react differently, so just get a general idea of the tone you like and you can start to dial it in from there. Basically what you want to do is get a nice, fat tone with a solid bass, upped mids, and a fair amount of treble. You're looking for clear tone. Don't saturate it too much.

- Turn down the gain. I don't think I've turned the gain up past 2:00 for playing djent, and i usually keep it between 12:00 and 1:00.

- Noise gate. It helps a lot. Also some sort of relatively clean boost in front of the amp.

- Heavy pick attack. This may not be super crucial, but it does help a fair amount.

- Palm muting. You want to have a really tight palm mute that doesn't choke off the strings. Whoever said you won't be playing big chords with this style of music- sorry, you're wrong. Playing big, 3-4 note power chords sounds massive if you get the right technique and tone.

- Big strings. If your strings are too loose, they'll flop around and maybe sound "djenty" to you, but in reality, fatter strings sound better if you can get everything else right.

There are probably some other things as well... pickups are mildly important but those aren't easily changed (i.e. for free). Work on those things and you should be on your way.