Page 1 of 2
They ought to be.

edit - Also it's done a fair few miles. The seller sounds like a moron. It has probably been driven very hard.

I personally don't think it's suitable for a 17 year old at all, but if you think you can afford/handle it then go check it out.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Last edited by Blayney at May 7, 2011,
I always wondered why new drivers always feel the need to buy sports cars as a first car, considering the insurance will always be that more expensive...just get a bloody normal car for your age as a first time buyer. You're not a professional racer. You're 17 and probably still in highschool.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at May 7, 2011,
Quote by fancypants1
Are insurance rates high for this car?

I dunno what it's like in America but if that was your first car in England your insurance would be more than £5000.
Quote by Greenie_777
I dunno what it's like in America but if that was your first car in England your insurance would be more than £5000.

He wouldn't get quoted. From most companies at least.

edit - is Lt.Shinysides perma'd? Kinda need him for this, as he owns an Impreza in the states and is fairly young.

Well that thing is butt-ugly, so not sure what you're worried about

Try asking in the car thread for some suggestions, plenty of Americans post in there that should be able to help you out. Although it is a bit slow in there.

Quote by Harmonius
I always wondered why new drivers always feel the need to buy sports cars as a first car, considering the insurance will always be that more expensive...

cause sports cars are cool.

and it has 117000 miles. idk

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Most cars can last to like 100,000km, that’s if you take care of it. I have a 06 Jeep with only 66k on it, and I bought it brand new.

How much KM does it already have on it?

Best advice I would recommend, keep up with oil changes, and make sure all fluids are fresh.
Must be rich to afford that type of car, especially insurance; Jesus lol.

EDIT -

117000 miles. shame I would say get a different car with low mileage, you never know how good the previous owner was.
Last edited by Bauer_VaporX40 at May 7, 2011,
Not only will insurance run you $150 - $200 a month if not even more, if you are going to try to finance it most banks won't finance a car for more than 2-3 years if it's that old and with that many miles.
That's because it's a performance car. Have a look around at some of the boring cars you see every day. Sadly that's what you're gonna have to settle for at your age. Unless you're rich.

Quote by Harmonius
I always wondered why new drivers always feel the need to buy sports cars as a first car, considering the insurance will always be that more expensive...

I always thought this as well..

My friend got an MR2 after one year passing his test claiming it was "cool".. then complained about the stupidly expensive insurance and mpg..
meanwhile my other friends have had a biodiesel landrover, a hilman imp and a lupo..
It's "cool" to save money too!
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Silent Murder
I always thought this as well..

My friend got an MR2 after one year passing his test claiming it was "cool".. then complained about the stupidly expensive insurance and mpg..
meanwhile my other friends have had a biodiesel landrover, a hilman imp and a lupo..
It's "cool" to save money too!

First time drivers are such idiots sometimes, I agree. They think they own the road as well, thinking it's cool to overtake on a bending road. Fucksake...not to mention dude, those cars eat a lot of fuel adding to the expense. I swear kids these days are getting dumber and dumber.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

That's definitely not a good deal... esp since it has 117k miles on it. A lot of cars need some new engine parts around 100-120k, and I wouldn't trust this guy ("fast and furios" lol, my favorite cereal for sure) to have made those repairs. So you could be looking at a few hundred bucks after buying this thing for a new timing belt and stuff.

As far as insurance goes, it'll be higher than regular old sedans, but it isn't an STI version (just riced to look like one with the wing and all...) so its not crazy fast.

For first cars that aren't too expensive, go with a toyota or honda or something. I got a 2000 Toyota solara with 80k miles in 2006 for around $8000 and its still driving great. over 120k miles now, no signs of slowing down. Its semi speedy (3.0L 6 cylinder) but has plenty of room in the back and trunk for moving to college and back.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
I think as a 17 year old you'd be better off getting something a bit smaller and with not such a big engine. It sounds boring but your insurance will be obscene for something like that and it's better to get used to the road in something a little more sedate before opting to get a vehicle that'll blast around at a thousand miles per hour.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by boycew02 at May 7, 2011,
That thing's got some pretty high mileage on it....my first car (which I still own) only had about 20k miles and it was half that price. Granted, it's a Chevy Cavalier, but I still get compliments on my shaggin' wagon.

I have a friend who's 18 and has a WRX (a more recent model though, like '06 or something); they're good cars, especially if you're into fine-tuning, but I don't recommend it as a first car.

17 yr-old + sports car = insurance nightmare
Quote by thewho65

17 yr-old + sports car = car crash

Fixed
Last edited by AdamG313 at May 7, 2011,
Just to let you know, check under the hood. I know that the head gaskets on Subaru's are not the best in the world.

edit: save up your cash and get a better car instead of a ricer. (my opinion)
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Should last you a while. I've never heard anything awfully bad from Subarus and the WRXs seems quite good quality.

All I know is I saw a sick one in montreal and it was basically a vicious pitbull/dinosaur/bear made of steel. WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! PSHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! PSHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! WOFWOFWOFWOFWOFWOF.
I had a sports car for my first car and insurance wasn't terrible. The UK people have it much worse with insurance than in the states.

Make sure you find out a couple things:

How many owners it has had
Are there any mods and if so were they done by professionals
See if you can get maintenance records

There are fan sites, particularly with Subarus, that will have forums where there is generally a really knowledgeable dude who posts a massive guide about how to buy whatever car, exactly what noises to look for and everything(this kind of place is where mechanics hang out on the internet). Go find one of those and make a checklist for when you go to test drive it.

As for how long will it last, the Impreza platform is damn near indestructible. Any car will run just about forever if you do regular maintenance and address all the little problems as soon as they come up, and just generally take care of that car. You could buy that WRX today and depending how you take care of it, you could blow the engine out in a year, or you could take it to 300,000 miles. That's why it's important to see if there are mods are on the car, because if there is, especially if they weren't done very well, it's probably evidence that the car was driven really hard by a previous owner. And then you don't want it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/26/man-with-2-6-million-mile-volvo-p1800-aims-for-3-million/

There's evidence for you. Take care of it properly, and you can drive it forever.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
I've seen a few of those with less miles for the same price or less.

The person that wrote the description sounds like a moron as well. If you're going to sell a car, take the time to spell correctly. I wouldn't trust buying a car from someone that doesn't even take the time to write a decent description of it.
You could get a nearly new car for that. Try a lot that sells stuff that was previous rentals.

I got my 2010 Hyundai Sonata for 13k, even though the MSRP was 22k, just because it was a rental for like 6 months in San Francisco.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Well if it's your first car and you want something fast I'll just throw this out there:

Ranger. With a V8 swap. (And a decent rear-end too. Don't want that thing blowing out. Make sure it has a title too.)
Quote by Lt.Shinysides

do not buy that car. When i see an impreza that has had any kind of modification to it (Notice the headlights, add on rear wing, and the very slight lowering. and that's just what's plainly visible), i would immediately skip over it. The impreza WRX is the kind of car that tends to draw in people who thrash the hell out of it, and then immediately sell when it's causing problems because they hold their value. the price is a lowball, even at 100 000+ miles, which should throw up warning flags. That car has probably been very abused, and if you don't have a very good knowledge of it's workings, you will have a hell of a time dealing with its problems. I have an Impreza RS, not even a WRX, and I pay upwards of $4000 a year, and I'm 20 with no accidents or tickets on my record. 17-19 = very, very high liability for insurance. You can expect a quote near the $10 000 range for a wrx sedan of any year. Buying that car would be a huge mistake. If you like the imprezas, get a newer hatchback base model. they're still very quick with about 180 horsies, but the body style and lack of a turbo'd engine drop the insurance quote way, way down. Just to make sure you're getting it, DO NOT BUY THAT CAR. it will be the biggest mistake you could probably make for a first car

I know it's late, but there's the shinysides answer I was looking for.

Quote by Jaymz_515
But the i10 has tiny, tiny wheels.

Fugly interior though
Quote by Jaymz_515
But the i10 has tiny, tiny wheels.

That's one of the last things I'd want. Tiny wheels would make it easy to roll. Large wheels are far better..
Quote by robhc
That's one of the last things I'd want. Tiny wheels would make it easy to roll. Large wheels are far better..

I wasn't offering practical car-buying advice. :P

ಠ_ಠ

wat

You aren't going to get an Impreza, or anything remotely like an Impreza, for your first, second, maybe even third car, unless you're very rich or dumb. Possibly both.

Showing off < Safety, Sensibility & Economy.

And don't think you can get a hot hatch like a Saxo or 106GTI and tweak it a bit, that will also make your insurance go up, and you'll look like a prick.

Just my opinion. It's correct, of course, but it's my opinion.

Edit: My favourite car, the Fiat Panda, I wanted as my first car. Insurance group 1. Around £3000 for a second-hand one. Insurance quote? My highest was £7000, 3rd party only. I'm 18.
Quote by Moggan13

FUCK YEAH GHERKIN PALS!!

Yeah, I use a Squier Strat.
Last edited by DecaPodge at May 20, 2011,
Subaru's are excellent cars, if you can get your hands on a WRX I'd be jealous. Their boxer engines usually are extremely reliable and never have any serious problems. I rarely ever see any in shops, and when they do go into shops, it's just for like, worn suspension parts, oil changes, and just maintenance.

I've never seen one in our shop, and we see alot of cars. I'd get it, cause I've been wanting one, but the only ones I can find that are for sell are the ones that people have modded to hell and back, it's almost impossible to find a completely stock one.
I have a subaru impreza 1995. Great cars. That's not a good deal though, especially for you. Insurance will be high, and it has a lot of miles for the price. Look for something else.
Angus = god
Epic cars but if you could afford the insurance you'd probably kill yourself with the amount of power it has and your lack of experience behind the wheel

PSN ID: ArranP
Page 1 of 2