So I need to add some sustain to my rig... I play real aggressive, high gain, distorted thrash metal... I have a low budget but can go over $100 if need be, and definately can buy used...

Ok, so I love MXR/Dulop pedals and looked at the Dyna Comp... But is this a good choice for sustain? And if not is the Boss counter part a better suited pedal? Or should I look at a different kind of pedal than a compressor? Thanks for getting back in advance guys
i have a boss cs3. it is a fairly subtle sort of effect, reducing highs and boosting lows. the sustain effect is not all that dramatic. overall, it's a sort of mark knopfler tone.

maybe it's the way i use it, but used in series with overdrive/distortion it may give you what you need.

have a listen to demos on youtube.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
If you play high gain thrash metal and you don't have enough sustain, something else is wrong with your rig. With super high gain rigs, there's usually enough natural compression, and all that gain should get you tons of sustain. A compressor is probably just going to add noise and kill your dynamics in your case.

Not to assume that you're new to this, but a lot of new players think they need a compressor because they can't hold a note forever. A compressor is good to give a little color to a clean tone, or smooth out a gainy sound, but don't buy one expecting it to make all your notes ring out for hours without effecting your tone. For most people starting out, what they really need is a decent setup and fret levelling, not another pedal.

What's your setup right now? If you're not using any pedals, a compressor should not be first on your list.
I've got a Dean ML (which a tech did inform me that I need to fork out like 70 for a fret adjustment or something) through a Dunlop Crybaby into my Line 6 Spider 3 (I know, but I got it when I first started out and don't want to upgrade until I have enough money for a stack of Marshalls or Randalls)
Quote by Roc8995
If you play high gain thrash metal and you don't have enough sustain, something else is wrong with your rig. With super high gain rigs, there's usually enough natural compression, and all that gain should get you tons of sustain. A compressor is probably just going to add noise and kill your dynamics in your case.

Not to assume that you're new to this, but a lot of new players think they need a compressor because they can't hold a note forever. A compressor is good to give a little color to a clean tone, or smooth out a gainy sound, but don't buy one expecting it to make all your notes ring out for hours without effecting your tone. For most people starting out, what they really need is a decent setup and fret levelling, not another pedal.

What's your setup right now? If you're not using any pedals, a compressor should not be first on your list.

this

i bought the boss comp pedal back in the day thinking i could get forever sustain, i just got infinite feedback
Quote by Roc8995

+infinity.
I gave up on trying to use a comp for anything but cleans.
Quote by IWasMaiden93
I've got a Dean ML (which a tech did inform me that I need to fork out like 70 for a fret adjustment or something) through a Dunlop Crybaby into my Line 6 Spider 3 (I know, but I got it when I first started out and don't want to upgrade until I have enough money for a stack of Marshalls or Randalls)

welcome to the fourms. Your opinion will probably change drastically within the next 2 hours to 2 weeks.
Quote by LolCatGuitar
welcome to the fourms. Your opinion will probably change drastically within the next 2 hours to 2 weeks.

Haha perfect, better to have a change of opinion now than in a few years after I fork out a few k's for something that doesn't quite suit... Whether it be amps or pedals (like now)
I will jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and say that compressors for high gain usually just produce noise. I definitely would NOT run a compressor with a Dean ML and a Spider 3.

Also, sustain is more related to the player than most people think, and is overrated to boot.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.