Been browsing around at some used heads. Found good deals on two Marshalls that I'm looking at. One is a Valvestate 8100 and the other is a Valvestate 2000. How much of a difference is there between these two, and are they good sounding amps?

The 8100 is $200, and the 2000 is $250. Good deal or not? Can't afford an actual all-valve head, and i've heard good things about these.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
a lot of people tend to say the older series (8100) is better. i had an 8080, which is the combo version of the 8100, and i liked the way it sounded, i'd recommend it for someone on a low budget who just wants distortion that sounds good and is pretty easy to work with
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
They're mediocre, but if you could get one for $170 or less I would consider it a pretty good score, especially considering you can't afford much.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I liked the 8100.. For the price. It's nothing great, but again.. its cheap.
/rig
Look for a used Valveking head, might find one in your budget

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by denied
caaaaaathbaaaaaaaarrrrd

You rang?

All Valvestates are total garbage that should be buried deep underground where they can never bother anybody again. Old, new, doesn't matter, they are all total crap and should carry government health warnings.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by blything09
Look for a used Valveking head, might find one in your budget

Getting closer to a decent amp recommendation.

Now all we have to do is have the obligatory JCA and 5105/6505 recs and we might finally get around to satisfactorily answering the TS' question.

Quote by Cathbard
You rang?

All Valvestates are total garbage that should be buried deep underground where they can never bother anybody again. Old, new, doesn't matter, they are all total crap and should carry government health warnings.

Surgeon General: the use of Valvestates can present a serious health risk and should never be used in close proximity to pacemakers or pregnant women.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at May 7, 2011,
Instead of asking what we think of a truly dreadful amp that should be kept as far away from human ears as is physically possible try this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you wanna sound like the gothenberg bands before they got big and could afford good amps just add a hm-2 to a 8100 and you're away..