As some of you might know, Portugal is facing a pretty bad economic crisis and to make things a little better, also a political crisis... So the portuguese government had to resort to the international monetary fund (IMF).

However, Finland decided NOT to help Portugal. And this was someone's response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2pPSAAFSbk

When people all over the world think of Portugal, most of them think that "it's just that little country next to Spain"

Watch the video and you will see that Portugal is much more than people think.

Other interesting facts that I remember:

-The portuguese were the first to discover how to travel to India by sea.
-Brazil used to be a portuguese colony
-The portuguese coast has some of the nicest and cleanest beaches in the world

EDIT: I'm NOT being nationalistic here... I just wanted to share some interesting facts with you guys

Discuss
Last edited by Mirraslogo at May 7, 2011,
I blame Nintendo.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Portugal is a shithole.

Stick that in your thread.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Força PORTUGAL!
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
I think the majority of Europeans think of countries in Europe as the countries they are, not just 'that little place beside wherever'.
~Domino?

This life's too good to last
and I'm too young to care.

Musics
Follow me on Twitter, I'm cool.
Quote by Mirraslogo
-The portuguese were the first to discover America.

First one isn't true and I don't see how the other ones make you more attractive to help out financially.

Quote by Domino
I think the majority of Europeans think of countries in Europe as the countries they are, not just 'that little place beside wherever'.

Yeah. Everyone, including TS, probably thinks of X country as some random country in europe.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at May 7, 2011,
Quote by Mirraslogo
Other interesting facts that I remember:

-The portuguese were the first to discover America.

Portugal is in pretty bad shape right now, but it used to be a very powerful, rich and beautiful country with a lot of intelligent and revolutionary people.

Discuss

1) No they weren't, unless native Americans were Portuguese. And the Vikings were Portuguese too apparently. Why would you be proud of oppressing and destroying entire cultures anyways?
2) Yeah, that doesn't mean shit now.
3) ^
4) Cool?

So, you have nice beaches and apparently get second rate educations. You just made my opinion of Portugal get lower.

At least you'll have more time to enjoy those nice and clean beaches now that you won't have a job?
I have been to Portugal 4 or 5 times, fine country. But what the hell is this shit? I hate nationalistic crap like this. And for fuck's sake, Leifur Eiríksson was not Portuguese...
Quote by Kensai
First one isn't true and I don't see how the other ones make you more attractive to help out financially.

Yeah. Everyone, including TS, probably thinks of X country as some random country in europe.

Oh yeah it was Cristovão Colombo, which was Spanish.. my bad!

Quote by ninnipinni93
I have been to Portugal 4 or 5 times, fine country. But what the hell is this shit? I hate nationalistic crap like this. And for fuck's sake, Leifur Eiríksson was not Portuguese...

I'm not saying that Portugal IS a nice country. I was just saying that it used to be, and there's a lot of interesting facts that most people don't know about, that's all...
Last edited by Mirraslogo at May 7, 2011,
Finland decided to NOT help? When did that happen? It's only one party in Finland that does not support the loan, called "StandardFinns" or something in English, they're kind of the most extreme acting party when it comes to EU things for example. Over half of the Finnish population supports the help. Personally in the end, I think that it would be rather stupid to not help Portugal. It would pay back in a way that Finland won't want. However, they've got lot of gold (well, at least 380 tons), so I think the gold should be the guarantee.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Mirraslogo

That's a strange way to spell Leif Erikson. You also seem to be forgetting the entirely separate development of human society which inhabited the Americas. You aren't helping your case champ.
Quote by Mirraslogo

It was native americans originating from south america. Later on it was Leif Eriksson from Scandinavia

I don't see how any of it will make the fins help you out financially. Gotta make a deal somehow. Historically you've done stuff but what country hasn't?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
portugal is a lovely place, went on holiday there a few years ago to the north. never met friendly people and nicer food

hope it stays afloat
Coventry City Chicago Bears
Quote by Kensai
It was native americans originating from south america. Later on it was Leif Eriksson from Scandinavia

I don't see how any of it will make the fins help you out financially. Gotta make a deal somehow. Historically you've done stuff but what country hasn't?

Well, yeah, you're right. I just thought it was an interesting video, so I decided to share.
That video was ****ing retarded, I love Portugal and all but people keep glorifying the amazing past that Portugal had, and instead of making a better future people go on vacations and buy nice cars when they have huge debts to pay. Not to mention how the government isn't even cutting back in meaningful ways, and they keep trashing away money on stupid shit.
I don't see how that video will help in any way, patriotism isn't going to get us anywhere.
Quote by Kensai
It was native americans originating from south america.

Native Americans migrated from north to south, not the other way around
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
Native Americans migrated from north to south, not the other way around

To be fair there is no concrete theory. Land bridge has pretty significant holes.
It was the TrueFinns - a far-right nationalist party - that decided not to bail out Portugal, and since they hold a load of seats in the new government everyone else had no choice in the matter. It's democracy. Sorry.

(Invalid img)

U mad?
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at May 7, 2011,
TS is from Portugal and wants us all to know it. Put it in your location box if you really want to, I can give a rant bout why my country is so lovely but I bloody won't cause no one cares
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Portugal is seen as irrelevant for most Americans.

90% of Americans don't know that Slovakia and Slovenia are different countries, the other 10% have never heard of either.

Edit: And that goes for everyone, not just Americans, the majority of Europeans haven't heard of Tuvalu, because it has no effect on them.
Last edited by Eric_Fail at May 7, 2011,
We we we we we we we

Stupid video, though the ending was funny.
Check out my band Disturbed
Been to Portugal twice, both awesome holidays. All the waiters in the resteraunts were really cool (we were kids at the time), they entertained us by getting fresh fish out of the kitchen and made them talk to us. And that is why Finland should help out Portugal.
Quote by Eric_Fail
90% of Americans don't know that Slovakia and Slovenia are different countries, the other 10% have never heard of either.

A bit optimistic there, aren't you? Maybe you mean that 90% of Americans don't know that Europe is a continent and not a country, right?

Anyway, I'll hate Portugal for the rest of my damn life because of this. Scared the s*it out of me for a week...
Run towards the light exposing your soul.
Quote by Marius_08
A bit optimistic there, aren't you? Maybe you mean that 90% of Americans don't know that Europe is a continent and not a country, right?

Anyway, I'll hate Portugal for the rest of my damn life because of this. Scared the s*it out of me for a week...

I'm sure you'd be shocked to learn that 85% of stats are made up on the internet
Been there when I was a kid and I thought it was really nice. There was a great Jamacian themed bar which I think subconsciously influenced me to start smoking sweet Mary Jane.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
To be fair there is no concrete theory. Land bridge has pretty significant holes.

Then how did they cross it?
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Portuguese accents sound horrible to me. No offense.
Although I do really want to go there since my mom's side of the family are all descendants of the Portuguese.
Why are the portuguese allways worried about their reputation. It's like they have a crisis of identity and feel insecure every time so they need to come up with their history and some subjective facts to boost their ego...
I don't think Portal is very underrated. It's one of the biggest games around now.

EDIT: Por...tu...gal?

Also, I know one of the facts in that video to be wrong, which makes the video hard to trust. Iceland has never won a Eurovision either.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at May 7, 2011,
Well, well, well, this thread is for me.

I was born in Portugal and spent my first 11 years there. I have since lived in 3 other countries so I have something to compare it to.

I always found the culture to be way too laid back. You can't ever expect things to go according to plan because people are expected to come late. Not just friends, no. Even professional people are expected to be late. Hell, it's almost rude if you arrive on time.

Pensions. People get ridiculous pensions at ridiculously young ages. How is that supposed to work?

Portuguese people have no volume control.

It's really hot. Like...really, really hot.

You got sunny weather, but you don't see a single person on the street smiling. Can you blame them?

They, like most European countries, spend too much focus on football. They know everything about their football club, but can't say who the president of Portugal is.

Lisbon is, for the most part, really superficial. It's all about who owns the most luxuries.

Cars are super expensive, yet people keep buying them. HOW?!?!

They drive like idiots. Portugal has one of the highest rates of death by traffic.

Corruption. Lots of it. Does the public know? Yes. Does the public care? lol Nah!

So, come on, can you blame the Finish for not wanting to help? I sure can't. However, I'll always be half Portuguese and I'll always wish it the best. I just hope my friends will be all right and that they won't starve. That's all I care for.

But yeah, on the plus side, the people CAN be pretty down to Earth.
The ECB bailouts are not "help", don't fool yourself, they're punitive loans. You don't want that shit.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington