Hey, I Have A New Band And We're Writing A Lot Of Stuff Right Now, And A Lot Of Heavy Stuff, I've Been Playing For 1 Year? Is A 7 String A Good Idea?
Quote by Lee Makky
Hey, I Have A New Band And We're Writing A Lot Of Stuff Right Now, And A Lot Of Heavy Stuff, I've Been Playing For 1 Year? Is A 7 String A Good Idea?

Do you WANT a seven string?
Could you actually put it to use rather than be the type of guy who owns a seven string and is like "Hurrr, look guiyz, mai guitar haz moar stringz den yoohrz."

If you answered yes to both of those questions, click the link in my sig.
Can't answer the first question, unfortunately... But you should go try out a 7 before buying one, see if it's for you first. Or if for whatever reason you can't try one out first, don't break it or anything & you could always try to re-sell it, if it isn't for you.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Do you WANT a seven string?
Could you actually put it to use rather than be the type of guy who owns a seven string and is like "Hurrr, look guiyz, mai guitar haz moar stringz den yoohrz."

If you answered yes to both of those questions, click the link in my sig.

Well, Um, Yeah I do want one and I WOULD put it to good use, so,uh, should I get one?
Quote by effyeahjade
no

GTFO.

If you feel you can use the 7th string and it's not gonna be a difficult hurdle to get over, then by all means get one. View the 7 string legion thread, we'll help you out in choices and such if you need it and have certain preferences you want. We also won't bag on you for wanting a 7 like a lot of people here seem to do..
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
If you want to play a 7, buy one. There's nothing stopping you.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by effyeahjade
1 year? learn how to play with 6 strings first

Not everyone sucks as much as you do after a year. Just cos they have only been playing for a year, doesn't mean they can't play!
you don't need a 7 string to be heavy, I use my 6 in Bb, and I prefer that, but you can do whatever, just try before you buy, remember that some of the heaviest and most brutal bands out there use 6 strings.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I got a 7 string after I'd been playing for a couple years or something like that. I sold it a while later because I just couldn't grasp a good control of the 7th string. I'd suggest getting a really good handle on 6 strings first.
Quote by effyeahjade
hes played for one year and wants to make a 7 string brutz band, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that he sucks

What does it matter to you if he has a 7 or not? He wants one, he's gonna buy one regardless of what you say because you really have no knowledge in the subject. TS, what bands do you listen to, do you have a preference on string tension/scale length,a nd what brands of guitars do you love/hate?
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I bought a 7 after about a year. Only reason I still don't have it was I just hated the guitar itself. I'm looking to go back to one one day, I personally love the neck.
Quote by effyeahjade
okay, so hes gonna buy one regardless of what i think, so thats why he came on here and asked people what they thought?

**** logic

He wasn't asking you personally, he was asking the people that could actually have some useful answers/tips for him
oh yeah i missed the part that said, im asking for your opinions but only that of those people who think that i should get a 7 string

once again, **** logic
Quote by _-Joey-_
Not everyone sucks as much as you do after a year. Just cos they have only been playing for a year, doesn't mean they can't play!

+1. When people see me play, they usually say:
"So how long have you been playing?"
"Uhh, about 3 and a half years now."
"No, seriously." or "No way!"

It just depends how much time you dedicate and how you learn.

EDIT: Wow, I totally sound like a bragging douche there. Haha, you get the point though.

But if you will actually utilize all 7 strings I don't see why not.
I love mah chugga chugga music, but if your just a 14 year old kid who wants a 7 string so you can go in drop A and just chug all day long, **** off. haha
Last edited by Levi79 at May 7, 2011,
when people who arent musically inclined asked me how old i am i say 20 and they say you must have been playing since birth, doesnt mean shit

if you wanna start another myspace djent crabcore band go ahead, i just suggest you get good first
Quote by effyeahjade
oh yeah i missed the part that said, im asking for your opinions but only that of those people who think that i should get a 7 string

once again, **** logic

If you explained your answer instead of just saying "no", then it could've become a useful answer.
Quote by effyeahjade
when people who arent musically inclined asked me how old i am i say 20 and they say you must have been playing since birth, doesnt mean shit

if you wanna start another myspace djent crabcore band go ahead, i just suggest you get good first

& you don't have to be good to play crabcore, I think it may even be encouraged for you to be bad.
Quote by effyeahjade

Your just a douche dude.
whatever
its gonna be a waste of money, what amp his he even playing through?

spend that money on a brutz amp an a pack of thick strings to downtune

much better
I'm gunna go with levi and the noob.

get a 7 for the extended range, not just chugging on the lowest 5 notes in drop A.

as for "why would we care if he gets a 7 or not", why should HE care what WE think.

The noob WAS right though, he DID ask us our opinions, and he gave his, which I agree with.

I'd say master a 6 then move onto a 7.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I think Ken Susi from Unearth got his first 7 after about a year of playing, & I'd consider him a good guitarist!
I wouldn't say you need to "master" a 6 before getting a 7, you can continue to learn guitar with a 7, just might be ever-so-slightly harder, but as long as you practice & get comfortable with it, & remember your lowest string isn't an E (although, I guess that depends on what you tune to...)