Hello GG&A, I bought a new Blackstar HT Studio 20 (great amp, I really like its tone), but at low volumes it has a low buzz/hum, which increases significantly as I turn the volume up. I realise there may be something interfering with the signal but I can't find out what, can someone please help me identify the problem, and how to fix it? Is the amp itself ****ed, and do I need to buy a noise gate/supressor (which I don't really know much about to begin with)
Help much appreciated.

Sounds similar, not exactly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQciCDfRv4&feature=related
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at May 7, 2011,
It still does it, even on the clean channel (but to a lesser extent). It goes up with volume
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

check the input jack on ur guitar first off. ive had that issue with alot of my amps. constant tugging and pulling on the jack can loosen it and sometimes move stuff around.

in the way of a noise gait/noise suppressor it kinda depends on what u want. a noise gate will only get rid of that hum wen ur not playing. they r really used alot with heavy metal to get that really quick shut off after heavy riffing/chugging.

check out the hum debugger from ehx. works wonders
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdtS_SNqvY
If you absolutely need a pedal to make an amp sound good, it's a crappy amp.

I wouldn't even consider a noise gate, TS. If it hums, ditch it and buy something that doesn't.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^Yeah thats how I'm feeling at the moment. There were a few other amps there (Like a Jet City JCA20H head/cab) and the Blackstar HT-5.. but I guess I was playing at a relatively low volume when I bought this amp because I didn't notice the buzz.. What should I do?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

^Thank you I will definitely look into that. Is it worth exchanging it at the shop for something that doesn't have this problem..?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

Are you using any pedals with it? Cheap/bad pedals and power supplies can add a lot of noise. Try running straight from the guitar to the amp.
Also try with another guitar too, make sure it isn't that. Bad wiring on the guitar could easily add noise.
I'm not running any other pedals through it, and the footswitch being plugged in makes no difference in it whatsoever. I have an Ibanex rga42 with active pick ups, and I tried it with 2 different leads, and my neighbours RG with EMGs, and it still hummed/fuzzed, but sounded a little different. Its so annoying!
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

If it is the issue I linked above, it requires opening the amp and correcting the positions of AC wires. None of the other things mentioned will matter.
A good shop can correct this easily, there is a chance that another one may still have the same sloppy wiring dress.
Last edited by Oldgeek at May 7, 2011,
The store isn't open on Sundays so I can't do it today, but would you say it would be a good idea to take it to the shop to get this fixed, and if they can't, exhange it? I guess I could just grab a HT-5 stack or something.. thank you for your help, by the way.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

check out the vht amps. i actually think guitarcneter just started to carry them. i have the special 6 ultra. comes as a head or combo (i went with the combo). pretty sweet lil amp and has a great tone to it and is very inexpensive. i dont kno much of anything about their higher up models becuz my local music shop is the only place within mine and any neighbooring states that carries them (until recently). but the company is pretty cool. all their stuff is handwired and all tube. check em out
^Thanks dude I will. Hopefully some of them will be in my budget.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

Sorry, cannot advise on which choice. I just wanted to share the info from that page that shows a common issue on some small Blackhearts. I guess trying other ones in the shop will be helpful and if the shop has a tech person they can look at the web page if they want to see what others have found that seems like what you have described.
That page was really helpful, probably what I'm after. Thanks again. I think I'll still look at possible a HT-5 and an Orange 2x12.. or something

Edit: Oh wait, that page is about Blackhearts, mines a Blackstar
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

Last edited by splamron at May 7, 2011,