Does anyone on here own their own hedgehog as a pet? I think it would be sweet to get one, they look awesome. I've heard mixed things about them though in general(from random internet searches). Some have said they're low maintenance, while some said they were harder to care for.

Basically, for those of you that do own/have owned one:
did you like it?
pros/cons?
general advice?
also, do they bite you or prick you with their quills?
[]
Apparently they need a huge cage. One time I asked a sales rep at the store about them, and he said they need a 50 gallon tank/cage. That's friggin massive.
MATTERHORN
Id love to have a hedgehog as a pet.

I had a red eared slider turtle for a pet when i was younger but there high maintenance and expensive so yea

Last edited by smokeysteve22 at May 7, 2011,
I had a hedgehog before

It was too fast for me to keep it in a cage though and it ran away
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Apparently they need a huge cage. One time I asked a sales rep at the store about them, and he said they need a 50 gallon tank/cage. That's friggin massive.

Ya that's a common thing I found while searching too. But one person said she used giant rubbermaid tubs and that worked fine
[]
Quote by darkcheef
I had a hedgehog before

It was too fast for me to keep it in a cage though and it ran away

I grew a toadstool that ended up speaking with a lisp and obsessing over a peaches or some such thing. Needless to say, when the plumber asked if it was for sale, I didn't hesitate...
I've had an armadillo. Same thing, right?
It was way too hard to take care of. It got sick soon and died.
I have one! it's blue and really fast. I play with it every night. wait am I confusing reality with video games?
Quote by SGplayer1991
I have one! it's blue and really fast. I play with it every night. wait am I confusing reality with video games?

Maybe, but you might be thinking of something else
Quote by The Raven
Maybe, but you might be thinking of something else

damn I really need to get some sleep
Quote by LesThanPaul

Basically, for those of you that do own/have owned one:

got a picture on my profile too, if you want to look.

did you like it?

yeah, it's pretty cool and all.
pros/cons?

pros: they don't really need too much attention, they don't make noise, they don't particularly try to escape the way rodents do
cons: nocturnal, so you won't see them too much, they can be grumpy, and unsociable, easily scared by sudden movements, they run quite fast, so if it does get loose it can be hard to get a hold of
general advice?

just read the wikipedia article . it's a good summary of what to know.
also, do they bite you or prick you with their quills?

they rarely bite, and the quills go front to back, so you will generally only get poked if you try to pet them from back to front. they also only raise their quills when startled. the quills are fairly sharp, though not as sharp as say a needle, and you really have to hit the quills with a bit of force or squeeze fairly hard for it to hurt. but if you know how to hold them properly, you can pick them up without getting poked hard enough to hurt. the main thing to worry about with the quills is if it is running around, you may have a hard time getting a hold of it without getting poked, and also they shed quills and so a few fall out everyday, and there is always the possibility of stepping on one if you are not careful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I decided to get a hedgehog - named it Sonic, and a fox - named it Tails. I put them in the same cage so they would go on wacky adventures. The next day, I found out that Tails had eaten Sonic.
get an Echidna, they fly and climb walls, but unfortunately dont jump as high, which makes it difficult to beat the final boss as easy.

<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by lateraluspiral
get an Echidna, they fly and climb walls, but unfortunately dont jump as high, which makes it difficult to beat the final boss as easy.

My old friend has a hedgehog. They're cute, but they also seem to be rather unsociable.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Quote by Wuai Bel Ree
they also seem to be rather unsociable.

yup.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
actually, mine was a rescue.
I once had one. My grandfather saved it from becoming roadkill and gave it to me as a present. I called it Sonic (durr) and kept it in my garden, it would often dig holes and be gone for a few days, but always come back for some tasty apples and water

After a while, it didn't come back. My mom was so honest to tell me the neighbour killed it with poison because it was eating his flowers.

We moved shortly after that, guess why...
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I have one, just gave him a bath actually. Hes about a year old now, Whitey got him for us at a pet store in my town. It took forever for the store owner to get some. He wasn't that expensive compared to the ferrets my mom has. Hes got a medium sized cage and a big wheel that takes up most his cage. We let him run around on the bed and in my bathroom (thats pretty small), hes friendly but dislikes being out when the lights on. I think they are great pets =3

Edit: On the subject of them pricking you when you hold them. I've been pricked a few times, like when I roll him on his back and tickle his tummy. It doesn't hurt, but it makes your hand or where ever you get pricked itch. You get used to after a while really.

This is Shaymin =3
( )( )
( '.' )
( ('')('')

I Like Bunnies

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

---<--@
Let's do Tea
Last edited by Trollette at May 8, 2011,
my girlfriend has one, named Kush. It's sweet, he just lays in his bed all day, til you blow some weed at him then he runs on his hamster wheel for like 4 hours
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by Trollette
*Shaymin*
This is Shaymin =3

that level of cuteness is lethal

^ would love to try that once :')
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
My girlfriend has one, named it Pickles. It's pretty cool, though it can be hard to get to sleep when it's burning through it's wheel later at night. Fairly low maintenance, but you have to change the bedding semi frequently. I think she was able to partially potty train it, but not 100% certain.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Last edited by Jango22 at May 8, 2011,