Ive been playing for around one and a half year, played in a band in the start, but ive mostly just been the usual basement guitarist. But i'm back in a band now and gonna play some live performances soon. I can play most stuff fine while standing, but when it comes to technical chords and challenging solos i just can't play some stuff standing.
I know the usual answer is going to be take your guitar higher up, but not only do i think thats uncomfortable, it also looks so god damn stupid having your guitar tom morelly style and playing some metal tune.
I know i'll just have to practice more standing, but any other tips than that? :P
Be confident in your ability, try and keep the same mindset you have when you are playing sitting down. If you are actively thinking oh shit this next part is hard then you will most likely stuff up. Other than that just the usual practice, practice practice
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
the proper position for your guitar while standing up should be EXACTLY where it is when sitting down. sure its a bit high, but as you get more comfortable playing standing up, you can lower it. the exact WRONG position when beginning is to play with it down near your crotch.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Sounding good > looking good IMO, but if you don't want to raise your guitar you can always put a foot on top of an amp or something and rest the guitar on your thigh. The boys from Maiden do this a lot.

Ibanez Prestige RG20061
Peavey Envoy 110
Visual Sound GarageTone Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Dunlop Jazz III picks all day errday
Yeah that's what i did last time i played live, just ran to the nearest raised thing on stage when a solo came up xP
Last edited by SupaScoopar at May 7, 2011,
Quote by Noslo13
Sounding good > looking good

This and only this. If you care more about how you look than how you sound, you're playing guitar for the wrong reasons.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
No you are absolutely right, But looking good at the same time doesn't hurt
It's not like i have i have the guitar down to my knees and play like crap just to look cool, i was just looking for some help for playing standing up, since ive mostly practiced while sitting.
Last edited by SupaScoopar at May 7, 2011,
If you plan on performing standing, practice standing. Try to practice standing as much as possible and eventually you'll get stronger when working on your feet than on your ass, which is the way it should be if you plan on looking, feeling, and acting natural live.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Slowly bring your guitar down.
Start off at with your guitar at the same height as you would sitting down, then play.
As time goes by, you bring it lower and lower. Im up to the point where I have the guitar below my belly button. Solos are a bitch here but im working up to it.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
tom morello doesnt give a shit? who cares what other people think, if you bust out some crazy ass tunes, they'll forget what u look like.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
tom morello doesnt give a shit? who cares what other people think, if you bust out some crazy ass tunes, they'll forget what u look like.

Negative.
Quote by ethansj1
Negative.

wtf is that supposed to mean? I'm pretty sure tom morello doesnt care what he looks like as long as he performs and puts on a good show for everyone.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
wtf is that supposed to mean? I'm pretty sure tom morello doesnt care what he looks like as long as he performs and puts on a good show for everyone.

Once again... No.
Quote by ethansj1
Once again... No.

you should really stop typing.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator