i wanted to get a bridge in my epiphone les paul standard for metal tones, but not outrageously high output, but i also dont want a pickup that gets muddy in lower tunings. thats my problem with the stock bridge.whenever i downtune, its just a pile of mud and i use .10s so its not the strings. but i want a neck pickup to counter that and get me a versatile clean. Im thinking more of a soulful lead clean than a vintage bright clean. im currently thinking dimarzio paf pros or paf joes, but i could use some second opinions. btw im probably going to use the neck pickup much more than the bridge.
bottom line:
bridge=heavy but versatile, possibly lower tunings so not muddy
neck= clean, but not brittle. mostly used for a soulful lead
the tone im aiming for is possibly buckethead clean to BFMV heavy.
Last edited by Mike2464 at May 7, 2011,
I have an EMG 60/81 Combo, and I think they are great, especially the 60 with cleans. I use a BBE sonic stomp as well, which cleans up the muddiness, the neck pickup has alot of body, while the bridge is great for what you want.

But, as always, when it comes to EMGs or any active pickup there is an annoyingly strong dividing line, in my opinion they work great.

If you don't want actives, I've heard excellent things about seymour duncans line of passive pickups. C.J. Pierce from drowning pool uses them for most of his guitars and they sound amazing (and he plays in drop B or A# most of the time) and i'm sure they work well for higher tunings as well.

If you want a link for those let me know, I am not sure what you want so ill hold off

Edit: I just noticed you didn't want a high output pickup, my bad about the EMGs, although I have never had a problem with them)
Last edited by Kenjisan231 at May 7, 2011,
I have a Seymour Duncan SH-6 in the bridge, which is great for distortion and drop tunings, which is passive, and is just incredible.
In the neck, I have a Seymour Duncan '59, which I use for my cleans.
well i wanted a high output, just not crazy high like an x2n lol. i think im goin with a duncan distortion. now how about the neck pickup
Last edited by Mike2464 at May 8, 2011,
How far are you downtuning? If you're downtuning more than half a step, 10s are not nearly heavy enough. 10s are LIGHT strings. Especially on a les paul. I used to play in Eb on a les paul and used 12s, I use 11s now in standard. The shorter scale length really reduces the tension on the strings. 11s in standard tuning are a huge pain in the ass on strats, but on a les paul, they feel normal.
Last edited by al112987 at May 8, 2011,
Quote by Mike2464
i wanted to get a bridge in my epiphone les paul standard for metal tones, but not outrageously high output, but i also dont want a pickup that gets muddy in lower tunings. thats my problem with the stock bridge.whenever i downtune, its just a pile of mud and i use .10s so its not the strings. but i want a neck pickup to counter that and get me a versatile clean. Im thinking more of a soulful lead clean than a vintage bright clean. im currently thinking dimarzio paf pros or paf joes, but i could use some second opinions. btw im probably going to use the neck pickup much more than the bridge.
bottom line:
bridge=heavy but versatile, possibly lower tunings so not muddy
neck= clean, but not brittle. mostly used for a soulful lead
the tone im aiming for is possibly buckethead clean to BFMV heavy.

The Distortion should handle lower tunings fine but it's pretty hot, you might want to look at the Custom or Custom 5 if you want something a little better behaved.

For the neck I'd say stick a Duncan Pearly Gates in there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i got an two emg 81s an 85 and a 60 if you wanna go actives

but if you want passives id suggest a seymour duncan jb or distortion, i dont know much about the above suggest but they look like a good pickup
What's your amp? And .10s are way too light for any sort of down tuning on a Les Paul scale guitar. They're barely adequate in standard.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the dimarzio x2n is an awesome bridge pickup and really is versatile. ive got one sitting on my desk right now that i just pulled out of a guitar i sold. high output, made for good punk and metal tones, but it cleaned up pretty nice. i'd pair that with something like a dimarzio evolution or d-activator in the neck. vai play's evolutions and i cant think of a much more perfect tone..... u could prolly put an evolution in both positions and be real happy with it