so ive just bought an esp eclipse 2 EC-2 and i wanna get it setup for metalcore , im just wondering how thick i should go with the strings , i was thinking 12 - 56? the lowest im looking at going is drop A and ill be in drop b pretty much all of the time , just wondering if you guys could share some suggestions with brands aswell, im leaning towards ernie ball but im open for suggestions
I might not be much help in this thread because I mostly play in standard and drop D, but I use D'Addario XL nickel-wound 9-42s on my PRS.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I'll recommend Elixirs for the brand. They retain their tone much longer after they're added. For Drop B I wouldn't even use the Eclipse (I'd opt for something with a larger scale) but 12s should work. I play 10s, but in Drop D so I can't be of much help with gauges.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Yeah, if you're in drop B 12-56 would be a must. I play 11s in standard, and was thinking of going heavy for Drop C even. I've done hybrid drop B/ Standard, and it is a bit loose for me.

As for brans. Erie ball has lots of size options, and I used them at one point, but am now pretty much sticking with Elixirs. They last for a good while and hold their tone for longer, and sounded better than the EBs (Didn't hold their tone for that long).
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-3120-Coated-Titanium-Power-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings-105128656-i1424605.gc

give these a shot. idk how the tension will be in drop b/a becuz i have these in c# with .10's. but the tone is the greatest thing i have ever heard. i started out playing dr's and moved to slinkys and loved them. this is my first pair of the titanium coated strings and i love them even more. i play mostly metal/progressive and these things are perfect