I'm about to buy a Epiphone SG-400 Cherry for a good price. The thing is, I play mostly metal (80's mostly, and no death/black for me) and hard rock, and I heard the Epi SG-400 is kinda mediocre for metal. I was thinking about changing the pickups for EMGs (81/85), do you guys think it would be a good idea or should I just save a little more money and invest in something that suits my style more?
the thing i noticed about EMGs, is they have a very distinctive sound and they sound very similar in any guitar. you want might as well just get any guitar you want that suits your budget and slap EMGs in it. the more you save, the nicer build quality guitar you can buy, but with EMGs, the sound wont be noticeably different.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
the thing i noticed about EMGs, is they have a very distinctive sound and they sound very similar in any guitar. you want might as well just get any guitar you want that suits your budget and slap EMGs in it. the more you save, the nicer build quality guitar you can buy, but with EMGs, the sound wont be noticeably different.

no.....no no no....NO

the guitar will influence the way the EMG's respond. they wont sound the same in every guitar....anyone who dissagrees go to GC and pickup a mahogany body with EMG's then a basswood, then come back and share your findings. personally i dont like the g-400 too much. i borrowed it from my cousin for about 2 months and the neck dive was horrendous, and it had a low fret. you would be giving up some of the shimmer on your clean tone but for distortion their the best out there.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
iv played EMGs in a strat and a prs se single cut, and they werent exactly the same, but u could obviously tell they were EMGs, the core sound was there. in terms of if TS should save for something better, he could get something of better build quality of course, but a lot of metal guitars are mahogany body like the G400 so it will sound very similar.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC