they look pretty awesome
Gear:
LTD EC-50
Vypyr 30

Sanpera II funds: $206

Quote by JKHC
I know....in dumpsters, closets....what next? I'm going to stand outside for the rest of the day. Maybe a guitar will fall out of the sky and I can catch it.
Binding is a scam! Neck binding increases the cost of fret replace enough that people with low-end guitars will just buy a new one instead of paying to have a luthier work with the binding. This is how the Illuminati raised the money to pay the CIA to sneak into Hawaii and plant Obama's birth certificate while we were all distracted by 9/11 so Obama could become president,then fake Osama Bin Laden's death, and then use the resulting popularity to put liberal justices on the Supreme Court and take our guns so we can't protect the unborn embryos from stem cell researchers!

But from a purely practical perspective the white outline makes a guitar stand out on stage.
Nowadays it's aesthetics but it did have a purpose in the past. It made the fret edges more comfortable back in the day as it was able to cover the area where the fret edge was inserted into the fretboard and thus get rid of the potentially sharp edge and make a more playable and comfortable neck. But nowadays, it's not really as necessary but still, a good binding can improve the feel. My Prestige has maple binding and you can kind of feel the difference running your hand up and down the side where they make contact...

But yes, to answer your inquiry, they were originally for added comfort and quality but have become a moot point and are more aesthetic than anything else. Still, it looks hella nice regardless and really improves the look IMHO.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by jpnyc
Binding is a scam! Neck binding increases the cost of fret replace enough that people with low-end guitars will just buy a new one instead of paying to have a luthier work with the binding. This is how the Illuminati raised the money to pay the CIA to sneak into Hawaii and plant Obama's birth certificate while we were all distracted by 9/11 so Obama could become president,then fake Osama Bin Laden's death, and then use the resulting popularity to put liberal justices on the Supreme Court and take our guns so we can't protect the unborn embryos from stem cell researchers!

But from a purely practical perspective the white outline makes a guitar stand out on stage.

But yeah like everyone said it's purely aesthetic.
All I know is that I played a Fender MIM Tele with body binding and hated it. It made the edges feel really sharp and actually made the guitar uncomfortable to play.
Fender American Special Telecaster w/ Bigsby
Fender MIM Jaguar
Digitech Whammy-->Korg Pitchblack Poly-->Dunlop Cry Baby-->Danelectro Pastrami Overdrive-->EHX Big Muff Pi-->Joyo Digital Delay
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Red October Edition
Quote by Krauser
Nowadays it's aesthetics but it did have a purpose in the past. It made the fret edges more comfortable back in the day as it was able to cover the area where the fret edge was inserted into the fretboard and thus get rid of the potentially sharp edge and make a more playable and comfortable neck.

Thats the same reasons you could use it today, not just for aesthetics. Why would it have changed since binding was first used? Plenty of guitars today still have sharp fret ends, and plenty without binding have non-protruding fret ends too.