First please note I did try and search for this but I couldn't find anything.
Thrash Metal is definitely my favorite genre. And when I go about writing songs in the future I would love to write in a Thrash Metal style.

Now I've been playing guitar for only 8 months now and I haven't gotten into theory too deeply as of yet. I was wondering what theory and techniques I will need for writing in a Thrash Metal style and if there's a book or something that specifically tackles thrash techniques.

Thanks in advance.
Downpicking.
You must get your downpicking down to 9000bpm to play thrash metal.
simple: 8th notes, 16th notes, locrian, blues
BC Rich Warlock 81/85 Floyd Rose
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
Pre-1933 Olds Bass Trombone (G/F Triggers)
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Ibanez TK999HT Tube King Distortion
Digitech RP70
Currently, only with a Fender Frontman 25R

"We'll do it live"
I'd say Aeolian ^^ considering it's the minor scale...

Just learn the major scale and its modes (7 modes, includes the minor scale) and the pentatonic and its modes.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
locrian is minor with lowered 2nds and 5ths, gives it more typical thrashiness and dissonance, but its best to add in a perfect fifth as well, like a sort of prygian-locrian hybrid
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Digitech RP70

"We'll do it live"
Heavy chromaticism, bordering on atonal at times, mostly uses phrygian/locrian mode and either a chromatic wank or harmonic minor scale for the solo. Often relentless rhythmic drive and slow harmonic rhythm.

Also,

e-------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------
E----000-000-000-000-000-000-----------------

Every thrash metal song ever.
Listen, learn, analyze, apply. Get some Slayer, old Sepultura, old Metallica, Kreator, Sodom, Testament, all that good stuff. Pedal tones and minor scales are a large part of it, but working in clever chromaticisms and face-melting solos are just as important. And remember, ambiance and emotion > technicality. If you can get a pit started playing 1 note over and over again, by all means do it. Thrash isn't a time to show off your 400bpm diminished 7th sweeps, just to bust some skulls.

Make sure to remember, as well, that thrash is basically Heavy Metal mixed with HC punk. Learn bits of those too. Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Minor Threat, Suicidal Tendencies (esp since they went Thrash later on), all excellent bands to get your hands on as well.

Just don't wah+pentatonic too much and kick some ass and people will like you. Also, to the above posters: at least it's not CHUGA CHUG CHUG...CHUG CHUG CHUG. Thrash is similar to punk in that it's based around attitude and fun, but there are progressive elements in there that can satisfy your wankery. Master of Puppets and RTL are awesome trash albums, but they're not all atonal and 'locrian'.

Also, THRASH DOES NOT CATER TO MODAL MUSIC. LOCRIAN/LYDIAN/AEOLIAN/WHATEVER DOES NOT APPLY IN THIS CONTEXT. IT'S JUST THE MAJOR/MINOR WITH ACCIDENTALS/CHROMATICS. There'd be a flamewar by now if this was in MT.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at May 8, 2011,
Jeeze, Hail was the only person I could understand. Whats a good book too learn about basic going to advanced theory? Because I couldn't understand 90% of what you all said and I'm sure its all useful stuff. Feeling frustrated and stupid now =/.
Quote by Mellowman549
Jeeze, Hail was the only person I could understand. Whats a good book too learn about basic going to advanced theory? Because I couldn't understand 90% of what you all said and I'm sure its all useful stuff. Feeling frustrated and stupid now =/.

You really don't need to know modes or anything for thrash - Kerry King doesn't know any scales, and he's a huge deal in metal. Everybody here hates him though because he's 'musically inept'. As long as you have the speed and can tell what sounds good and see what other bands are doing and how they do it, you'll be fine.

e: wait, did somebody say the pentatonic scale has modes? Yeah, don't listen to anybody say anything about modes in here. I guarantee none of them know what modal music is and it's advanced, borderline useless theory.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at May 8, 2011,
Quote by Hail

Also, THRASH DOES NOT CATER TO MODAL MUSIC. LOCRIAN/LYDIAN/AEOLIAN/WHATEVER DOES NOT APPLY IN THIS CONTEXT. IT'S JUST THE MAJOR/MINOR WITH ACCIDENTALS/CHROMATICS. There'd be a flamewar by now if this was in MT.

If you are going to simplify it that much, why not just say all major/minor scales are the same with accidentals/chromatics?

You can use modes to help you come up with 'thrash' riffs and what not and it's obvious that it's not just modal, thrash music borders on atonal alot of the time.

Quote by Hail
You really don't need to know modes or anything for thrash - Kerry King doesn't know any scales, and he's a huge deal in metal. Everybody here hates him though because he's 'musically inept'. As long as you have the speed and can tell what sounds good and see what other bands are doing and how they do it, you'll be fine.

e: wait, did somebody say the pentatonic scale has modes? Yeah, don't listen to anybody say anything about modes in here. I guarantee none of them know what modal music is and it's advanced, borderline useless theory.

You don't need to know your theory but it sure as hell helps to know how to get the sounds you want.

I'm not some sort of thrash scholar but I know what I'm talking about with theory. Modes? Advanced? Don't give yourself too much credit there, modes are pretty basic in the grand scheme of things and they're sure as hell useful - perhaps not in thrash - but in Jazz music, they're quite valuable.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at May 8, 2011,
What would be a good distortion pedal to buy for thrash and I would also like to play old rock and heavy metal.
Quote by Hail

Also, THRASH DOES NOT CATER TO MODAL MUSIC. LOCRIAN/LYDIAN/AEOLIAN/WHATEVER DOES NOT APPLY IN THIS CONTEXT. IT'S JUST THE MAJOR/MINOR WITH ACCIDENTALS/CHROMATICS. There'd be a flamewar by now if this was in MT.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to simplify it that much, why not just say all major/minor scales are the same with accidentals/chromatics?

You can use modes to help you come up with 'thrash' riffs and what not and it's obvious that it's not just modal, thrash music borders on atonal alot of the time.

All major/minor scales ARE the same with accidentals/chromatics.

And knowing the chromatic scale ("borders on atonal") has nothing to do with modes. Slayer makes use of speed and intervals for ambiance/noise/aggression, but there's a progression/rhythm backing it up, if that's what you're trying to say is so obscure. Accounting for chromatics/accidentals in the minor scale covers about everything in thrash, though it's an extremely broad genre.

Go to Musician's Talk with your knowledge of atonal music and modes, and you'll be sent back to clapping to sheet music.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Im never disappointed with my Ibanez tube king distortion
Strat copy
J-Bass copy
UWT Inc. Ukulele
Digitech RP70

"We'll do it live"
Quote by XianXiuHong

All major/minor scales ARE the same with accidentals/chromatics.

And knowing the chromatic scale ("borders on atonal") has nothing to do with modes. Slayer makes use of speed and intervals for ambiance/noise/aggression, but there's a progression/rhythm backing it up, if that's what you're trying to say is so obscure. Accounting for chromatics/accidentals in the minor scale covers about everything in thrash, though it's an extremely broad genre.

Go to Musician's Talk with your knowledge of atonal music and modes, and you'll be sent back to clapping to sheet music.

That was my point, if you're going to simplify it like that, what's the point of saying what a certain genre's characteristics are in terms of harmonic structure? I know the chromatic scale has nothing to do with modes, is there a problem with a piece of music using both?

FYI: I study music at a conservatorium, I'm not quite sure that I would need to run into the MT forum about modes or atonal music considering that's stuff you study in first year.

EDIT: Actually, most of the stuff on modes and atonal music is assumed knowledge here, they just have a quick review on it before moving onto other things.
Last edited by XianXiuHong at May 8, 2011,
^
He's right, no point in this descending into a theory-willy-waving contest.
Quote by limegut
locrian is minor with lowered 2nds and 5ths, gives it more typical thrashiness and dissonance, but its best to add in a perfect fifth as well, like a sort of prygian-locrian hybrid

Don't talk bollocks mate, nothing uses locrian.

Thrash is mainly in minor keys, that's it - no modes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com