Hello all,

I have looked at many guides to painting guitars, but I would like to know if its possible to paint a guitar with texture like:

http://guitar-asylum.blogspot.com/2009/04/prs-limited-edition-killer-quilt-custom.html
or
http://egaray.vtrbandaancha.net/gib.jpg

Im looking at buying a guitar set, which comes with all the pieces that I put together myself, and my biggest worry as of yet is how I'm going to manage to paint it, as I'd like it to be quite stunning

So, is something like this achievable?

Thanks for your time guys

EDIT: Oh, and a mate would like to know, how would you go about painting this guitar's designs? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/images/images_list_8_49_34511_2.jpg

Sorry about all the questions o.O
Last edited by Shayden2008 at May 8, 2011,
So by that, does that mean if I was getting a plain body sent it, that design isnt really possible?
wow man are you kidding good luck to paint it like that... just to paint it and make it without bubbles and stuff like that is hard...
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Quote by Shayden2008
So by that, does that mean if I was getting a plain body sent it, that design isnt really possible?

You can still stain, but you won't get the nice lines, you could always by a top and put it on it.
Nope.
but you might be able to find yourself a piece of veneer, paste it on top of the guitarbody. And then by staining, sanding, staining and sanding you should be able to get that kind of look.

EDIT: I built myself a Jazzbass that way.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/frank-st-anger/SH%20P%20bass%20build/24%20Fret%20Jazz%20V/24JazzV.jpg
Stained Orange!
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i134/frank-st-anger/SH%20P%20bass%20build/24%20Fret%20Jazz%20V/IMG_0177.jpg
Last edited by frankie24 at May 8, 2011,
the first two are stained veneers, the pattern is the grain of the wood it is just primed and stained with paint/oil/varnish ect.

the second is rather a neck through construction like this -

http://www.frudua.com/immagini/bolt_on_vs_neck_through.jpg

or it was done with a spray, by taping/ covering a section of the body, spraying then removing the cover to get a perfectly straight line, although this is really difficult to do if you only plan on using tape and a spray can
Hmm ok, well considering Im new to this area, I dont think Id manage with sticking on the veneer very well then... Thanks guys for the info

What would be other styles of painting the body then? I really dont want to have just a single solid coloured body :S
The fancy flamed/quilted maple designs in those pictures are just that: fancy flamed/quilted maple.

They are done by very clever people and machines who go through several stages of painting and sanding to end up with something awesome. However, they can only be done on maple, so assuming your guitar isn't made of maple you'll have to get a maple cap.

Basically, it's very pretty but also expensive and difficult to pull off.

And although a veneer would work, it wouldn't look nearly as pretty and genuine as a real maple finish.

You could give it a shot, but seeing as you're not too sure about the whole painting thing it's probably best to try something else.

Anyway, you asked about other cool stuff. I can't think of anything in the vein of those maple tops, but you could always paint it one colour and add fancy paint on top.

Like this. Have a play around with it, some of the combinations are pretty cool.

Or you could go for a woody, satin effect with the grain showing through a bit, like with the Studio Les Pauls or what have you.

Like this.

Don't know how easy that would be to pull off though.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Quote by NeutralFan
The fancy flamed/quilted maple designs in those pictures are just that: fancy flamed/quilted maple.

They are done by very clever people and machines who go through several stages of painting and sanding to end up with something awesome. However, they can only be done on maple, so assuming your guitar isn't made of maple you'll have to get a maple cap.

Basically, it's very pretty but also expensive and difficult to pull off.

And although a veneer would work, it wouldn't look nearly as pretty and genuine as a real maple finish.

You could give it a shot, but seeing as you're not too sure about the whole painting thing it's probably best to try something else.

Anyway, you asked about other cool stuff. I can't think of anything in the vein of those maple tops, but you could always paint it one colour and add fancy paint on top.

Like this. Have a play around with it, some of the combinations are pretty cool.

Or you could go for a woody, satin effect with the grain showing through a bit, like with the Studio Les Pauls or what have you.

Like this.

Don't know how easy that would be to pull off though.

That's not true.

Whether you use a solid figured body blank or glue on a thick cap or paper thin veneer, it is easier to stain and clear/oil then applying a regular solid colour.

A stain is usually wiped on and left to dry. Often, the initial stain is a much darker colour (or black) and this is sanded back before the final colour/shade is applied.

The stained body will then be oiled or sealed and clear coated. I personally find this much easier then sealing, sanding, priming, sanding, paint, sand and then clear.

Also, any figured wood will give you a "textured" look, it's not only maple.
Last edited by lostcreation333 at May 8, 2011,
Quote by lostcreation333
That's not true.

Whether you use a solid figured body blank or glue on a thick cap or paper thin veneer, it is easier to stain and clear/oil then applying a regular solid colour.

A stain is usually wiped on and left to dry. Often, the initial stain is a much darker colour (or black) and this is sanded back before the final colour/shade is applied.

The stained body will then be oiled or sealed and clear coated. I personally find this much easier then sealing, sanding, priming, sanding, paint, sand and then clear.

Also, any figured wood will give you a "textured" look, it's not only maple.

Fair enough, but the specific pictures TS showed look to me like quilted and flamed maple. While any figured wood will give you a textured look, maple in particular is often used for a reason (that reason being that it has a fairly distinctive and pretty look when worked properly).

I might not be right, but I refuse to admit that I am entirely wrong.

On the other hand, I'm not an expert on painting guitars. The above retaliation may well just be my dickheaded side speaking.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at May 9, 2011,
Quote by NeutralFan
Fair enough, but the specific pictures TS showed look to me like quilted and flamed maple. While any figured wood will give you a textured look, maple in particular is often used for a reason (that reason being that it has a fairly distinctive and pretty look when worked properly).

I might not be right, but I refuse to admit that I am entirely wrong.

On the other hand, I'm not an expert on painting guitars. The above retaliation may well just be my dickheaded side speaking.

Yes sure, the pics are maple. I was just stating for information purposes (aimed at Shayden2008) that, as you've acknowledged yourself, it isn't just figured maple that gives a nice textured effect.