Not sure if this is the right forum, so move it if it isn't =D

Example:

A band intends to record a cover of ohhh lets say, Harvest - Opeth, and wants to sell it with a special edition of their album. What are the rules and regulations for doing this? Would just credit have to be given? or would they need express permission from the band?
contact the band/ label they are under and gain permission, if your just a small band they might not even ask you for a cut of what you make, even if they do its better than not getting permission and ending up getting raped for court fee's haha
You do not need to contact the band to do a cover. Some people do out of respect for the artist, but it's not required by law.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Quote by Ulalume
You do not need to contact the band to do a cover. Some people do out of respect for the artist, but it's not required by law.

if they plan on selling it and making money they do
Quote by Ulalume

Hmm, I'll see you in court

Basically
1. If you record a cover and release for free - YOU HAVE to make sure you credit the band and song writers, nothing else

2. If you record a cover and make money - You have to contact management to negotiate your path on this

3. If you play a cover live - The venue would have already organized what happens yearly, and the band need not worry
Last edited by Martindecorum at May 8, 2011,
Quote by Martindecorum

Basically
1. If you record a cover and release for free - YOU HAVE to make sure you credit the band and song writers, nothing else

FALSE!! Please see the copyright for dummies sticky that jof linked to just above.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.