So I've been considering replacing the stock pickups in my guitar (gear listed below) and wanted to know if anyone here had experience with both brands of pickups.

If I decide to go Seymour Duncan I've been thinking Neck: Jazz or Pearly Gates and Bridge: JB or Custom 5.

If I decide to go Bareknuckle I was thinking Neck: The Mule and Bridge: Black Dog or Rebel Yell.

The sound I'm going for - I tend to lean towards a classic rock tone with a bit more gain but I also sometimes venture into the realm of hardcore. So I want a slightly dirtier vintage overdrive with the option of cranking the gain to be able to do breakdowns and the like. As for cleans, I want them warm and creamy and good for use in post-rock a la Explosions in the Sky and God Is An Astronaut. Good OD tones on the neck would be nice but isn't a requirement - I rarely use overdrive on the neck other than slight natural breakup from running the volume pot high in a larger venue.

Some bands I like for reference: Coheed and Cambria, Brand New, Glassjaw, Gaslight Anthem

Any recommendations, preferably with first hand experience with one or both brands would be welcome.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Last edited by rockxwl at May 8, 2011,
I prefer bareknuckles (though I haven't tried the bareknuckles you're looking at... and from what i hear, their more modern pickups seem to be more well-regarded than their lower gain pickups).

It's really up to you- being from the USA muddies the waters somewhat because duncans are so much cheaper, plus you have a lot of homegrown boutique handwound options which may be better value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are way better North American options to Bareknuckle for the price.

And I'm not talking about Failmore Duncan or DiCrapzio.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i liked seymour generic and failmarzio better.

though "failmore" is pretty good.

Nothing rhymes with dimarzio

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i liked seymour generic and failmarzio better.

though "failmore" is pretty good.

Nothing rhymes with dimarzio

Haha, I'd forgotten what I'd called them last time.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.

is it bad that i remembered?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bubb_tubbs

And I'm not talking about Failmore Duncan or DiCrapzio.

Examples would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
failmarzio?

you'll want to go hotter then rebel yells for coheed and stuff like that.

I'd check out bg pickups. long wait time but great product.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by rockxwl
Examples would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BG
Rock Monkey
Wolfetone
WCR
HighOrder

I could go on, but those are what immediately spring to mind.

i thought wcr were similar prices to BKP?

But certainly bg, high order and wolfetone are a good bit cheaper. Aren't zhangbucker pretty decently priced too?

Haven't tried any of them, though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^They are, but imo, they sound better (Yeah, I went there).

Bubbs, I like Seymour Duncan's Antiquity humbuckers. Fight me.

I can't say anything about BGs, I've never played a set. I'll know what I think about them in about 6 weeks.
Last edited by al112987 at May 9, 2011,
TDM pickups are American made, much more affordable, and still custom made/hand wound.
^ do you have a link? haven't heard of those ones...

Quote by al112987
^They are, but imo, they sound better (Yeah, I went there).

i haven't tried them maybe they do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I actually like my dimarzio...

lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I like my Failmore Duncan...

Dave, TDM are made by a user here on UG, like Rock Monkey.
http://www.timpsonmusic.com/TDMpickups.html
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ do you have a link? haven't heard of those ones...

They're not like BKP or Rock Monkey where they have a big line of pickups and you can choose one and then make small personal tweaks. You basically tell them what you want and they'll design a pickup around your needs/tech specs.

I've heard great things about them as well.
cool, that sounds good, thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Not really... Most of the well known competitors in the US are the same price as BKPs, or, in many cases, significantly more. Whether they are "better" in sound qualities is up to the user.

TBH, it depends on the music you're playing, and the guitar you're putting them in though. Putting a set of some of the MIA boutique brands in certain guitars may very well decrease the value of the guitar, or at the very least, significantly limit the amount of people who are going to be interested in it.

The US companies may make a similar, or better product in terms of QC or parts/methods used, but the fact that not nearly as many people have tried them as have tried BKP, means that they remain much more of a "niche" in the market, because people can't try them as readily as they can BKPs.

The only boutique-made MIA pickups that are really aimed at the same market as BKPs are Motor City Pickups, and they're cheaper than BKPs by like $10.

I'd certainly like to try some more of the US boutique companies, but most people don't just have the money to throw around for a virtually unknown brand. Going off reviews on an amp or guitar is one thing, but reviews for pickups don't mean jack shit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 9, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Going off reviews on an amp or guitar is one thing, but reviews for pickups don't mean jack shit.

Especially when most of them are performed by a legion of teenagers whose tastes are questionable.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Especially when most of them are performed by a legion of teenagers whose tastes are questionable.

Yeah, obviously if anyone thinks the Duncan Invader is awesome, they suck at life
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
screw that man get some active emg's @ 18 v, 81 and 85 sounds liek it would get he sound your looking for
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, obviously if anyone thinks the Duncan Invader is awesome, they suck at life

When I said cheaper, I was more referring to the sales that North American manufacturers often have.

I bought my Wolfetone set for the LP for $200 brand new shipped to Canada.

I've seen WCRs go on sale at least once as well.

I sold my WCR Fillmores for $200 shipped and Crossroads (w/ covers) for $250.