Page 1 of 2
Originally had my mind set on a Peavey 6505+ combo amp but heard some not so good things about its clean sounds(although i've heard it's amazing for metal). Sure it can be EQ'd and fixed up with some pedals, but I want the whole ball of wax. Is there any amps(combo or split) that can produce the same(or similar) metal tones, whilst giving awesome cleans? It will mostly be a practice amp but I'm open to anything really. Would a Peavey 6505 head with a good cab produce better cleans than the combo?

I play songs from Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Motley Crue etc but plan to record my own stuff later. my budget is anywhere from $500US- 1500 but if paying more means i will get the best of both world, I will definitely consider it.

I live in Australia but most places ship abroad, so don't let that be a factor. Give me ideas please!!
Bugera 6262 or 333

the 6262 is basically a 6505 but with better cleans, and the 333 has a 3rd channel
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by dannycasevnx
I think for those sort of bands you are looking at the wrong amp. Maybe a Marshall would suit you better? Especially with a boost.

I pretty much want the chunky, heavy rhythm sound, with killer high pitched leads. The sound doesn't have to emulate the bands listed exactly. Something with enough head room to produce a similar sound to those bands AND do heavier stuff would be cool, but probably doesn't exist
Used dual rec.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
i own an engl powerball amplifier and i couldnt be happier, to be honest. it's a great, great amp, although it cost me a leg, really. if you're looking for something more in your price range, maybe try out the engl fireball. the other guitarist in my band uses it and it sounds killer
Engl screamer combo and a decent boost pedal.

In fact nearly any engl.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
Bugera 6262 or 333

the 6262 is basically a 6505 but with better cleans, and the 333 has a 3rd channel

The bugera 6262s dont have good cleans.

the 6262 is basically a 6505+ clone which has better cleans then a regular 6505 also...
Randall RM50 or RM100 with a Blackface module for cleans, soo warm and bright. and Ultra XL for Metal, this really screams.

Heres some soundclips of you want. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYFGBctW78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6tlXb1_Q9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wjT0AMUyuk
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Last edited by IbanezRG2EX1 at May 8, 2011,
Generally, high gain amps are not built to support amazing cleans. Some exceptions though.

Mesa Dual Rec is a good bet.
My time will come.
Quote by dannycasevnx
Then maybe a clone from Bugera? But make sure you buy your own fire station to go with it

*Ba dum tish*

The cleans on the 6505+ aren't really that bad imo.
XBL? Add me: RenegadeSynxx
Quote by coolstoryangus

The bugera 6262s dont have good cleans.

the 6262 is basically a 6505+ clone which has better cleans then a regular 6505 also...

isn't that what i said...?
i know it's not exactly good cleans, but it's still better than a 6505

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Look into some Vox's. Personally I love the VoX tone, perfect for those 80's metal bands and modern day hard rock. Look for a VOX VT120. Thats what I'm planning on getting, or any other vox out there. Also, the cleans are pretty amazing on it and the distortion is good along with the overdrive but, you've gotta try these out before you seriously buy them, or youtube their sounds.
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
isn't that what i said...?
i know it's not exactly good cleans, but it's still better than a 6505

they arent better though really..
Quote by coolstoryangus

well it's pretty subjective either way..
but i think they're a little less dull than the cleans from a 6505

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I'll third the Rectifier recommendation. My Single does the trick for me though.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Again, Jet City 100 Head (I'm not a HUGE fan of the HDM, tbh.) (I hope no one gets mad, I provide decant reasons for my bias :P)

Cleans

Modern Metal

This covers every but later in the vid it covers some heavier territory.

You can get this for $500 easy. Get a nice cab with V30's (Mesa, Orange, etc.) and you're golden.

The ENGL is a good idea, but since TS lives in Australia, I don't think he can get em cheap. Hell, anything cheap for that matter.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Last edited by NosralTserrof at May 8, 2011,
Mesa Mark III is a good bet if you can find one, would be pretty damn near perfect for Metallica from any era and that kind of 80s tone. nice cleans too, problem being that you're in Australia so you get screwed over on everything. i think you'll need more than the equivilent of $1500 to get the amp you want.

but yeah Mesa Mark II, Mesa 2 Channel Dual Recto, ENGL Powerball/Fireball/Screamer they're your best bets
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Used 2 channel recto or if you are lucky a mark iv combo
mark iii wont give you 6505 like chugga-chugs
i'd stay away from the power/fire ball because they lack mids...
stay away from bugera
or get a spider I its the world's best amp ug's fav
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
if you like the 6505+ check out the 6534+ too. it has a slightly different kind of distorion because of the EL34 tubes, but has alot better cleans. but that goes for about 1200$ new and i have yet to see a used one for sale, so youd still need to buy a cab for it
Quote by deepsal
Used 2 channel recto or if you are lucky a mark iv combo
mark iii wont give you 6505 like chugga-chugs
i'd stay away from the power/fire ball because they lack mids...
stay away from bugera
or get a spider I its the world's best amp ug's fav

Only if you scoop them.

ENGL are one of the few semi affordable amp manufacturers whose amps do good gain/Clean compromise unless you go for something like a Peters Hydra.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
There's so many variables involved when picking equipment as i'm sure your aware and of course, it's all subjective.... however, if the 6505 is the sound your after for distortion etc, then you really should try and go and play through one if you can because you may find the 'cleans' that people tend not to like, may be just to your liking!
I've just bought a 6505+ 112 combo and you can get some great cleans out of it, i play metal and the cleans i'm after aren't what others may be looking for but for the parts where i need it, the 6505 is perfectly up to the job!
i guess what i'm really saying is, don't just take others opinions take you away from your initial choice..... it could still be the right amp for YOU..... :-)

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
+1 more to the Rectifier. Got mine like new for $1300 from Guitar Center.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
maybe look at some Laney's or Carvin's?
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by NosralTserrof
Again, Jet City 100 Head (I'm not a HUGE fan of the HDM, tbh.) (I hope no one gets mad, I provide decant reasons for my bias :P)

Cleans

Modern Metal

This covers every but later in the vid it covers some heavier territory.

You can get this for $500 easy. Get a nice cab with V30's (Mesa, Orange, etc.) and you're golden.

This. But what exactly is wrong with the HDM? it should be the same thing but with a Depth knob and Half-power switch.

But yeah, the Jet City can pretty much cover every band in your post, and has plenty of gain on tap for even modern metal, and it's only $600 for the head ($500 for the 50w) You may need a graphic EQ (preferrably an MXR 10-band) for Metallica, though.

As for cleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at May 8, 2011,
Quote by jimihendrix6699
maybe look at some Laney's or Carvin's?

I second this notion...im actually thinking about buying the Carvin V3m myself, it has near perfect cleans and some damn good gains
Quote by Ian_the_fox
This. But what exactly is wrong with the HDM? it should be the same thing but with a Depth knob and Half-power switch.

But yeah, the Jet City can pretty much cover every band in your post, and has plenty of gain on tap for even modern metal, and it's only $600 for the head ($500 for the 50w) You may need a graphic EQ (preferrably an MXR 10-band) for Metallica, though.

As for cleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_v9Q-uBPGo

lol, i know i recommended the Carvin V3m about 5 minutes ago, but this would actually be just as good...buy the JCA50h with the MXR 10-band

OR

wait until this summer and buy the JCA22h. Its a 2 channel variant of the JCA20h...it has a crunch setting and a high gain channel (i believe its a Soldano Slo100 gain channel remake)

its only around 500$, the normal Soldano amp is around 2500$...so the JCA22h is a steal. Get that and the MXR 10-band, you'll have damn near every tone possible from the 80's...great deal...AND under 700$
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 8, 2011,
To OP:

Here is my 6505+ 112 (w/V30) rhythm channel (set to a clean setting) and lead channel through an Mahogany Ibanez RG 321MH with EMG 85/85.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rlheart/music/

(click the one that says "6505+ 112 w/Vintage 30 overview".)
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Last edited by rlheart at May 9, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus

actually they really are.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
used Mesa rectoverb
used Mesa mark IV
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by ECistheBest
solution: two amps.

I came in here to say exactly that.

By the way Shot. **** the Sharks
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
This one should work (sorry!):

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/rlheart/music/

click the one that says "6505+ 112 w/Vintage 30 overview".

(I went ahead and fixed the original post too.)

If for some reason that doesn't work either, go to my page, find my music and click the appropriate mp3.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
Last edited by rlheart at May 9, 2011,
150w Line 6 Spider IV, put an overdrive pedal to push the amp's emulated tubes for metal, cleans are the best I have ever heard, I'd say they outclass the jc-120 in possibly everyway.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Only if you scoop them.

ENGL are one of the few semi affordable amp manufacturers whose amps do good gain/Clean compromise unless you go for something like a Peters Hydra.

fryettttte.

also what is this conversation even about. a clean channel does cleans.

it's either clean or it's not.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I love how nobody noticed my comment about the Randall RM series in the first page, they are probably the best amp for versatility in my eyes anyway.
Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Mike Mushok Baritone w/BKP Juggernaut's
Ibanez: RG321MH

Alvarez: MD-60C
Amp
Randall RM100C
Stock BlackFace Module
Modded 2004 XTC 101B Module
Stock Treadplate Module
Quote by Ian_the_fox
it should be the same thing but with a Depth knob and Half-power switch.

It has a little less gain, the styling is off for me, it's really just stupid stuff, lol.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1
I love how nobody noticed my comment about the Randall RM series in the first page, they are probably the best amp for versatility in my eyes anyway.

Are the cleans better than the 6505? Does it have a similar level of distortion?
Page 1 of 2