Hai there! Im going to buy new guitar for mostly metal and some classic. As i read before i think im gonna take Jackson JS32 Rhoads but got some questions for ppl who own one. 1. IS floyd good for using or i have to fix it? gonna use for something like CoB/behemoth. 2. Are pick ups (cvr2) good for metal and\or classic? i mean is tone selective and versatile with little bottom?( going to store in week or two) 3. Anything is needed to be upgraded? pickups or floyd? 4. anything what you'd like to propose instead?
I was going to buy one, if that helps.

The JS series are begginer guitars, nothing more. The Rhoads models neck dive like a bitch, the pickups are nothing special, the floyd is low quality. Definately not second guitar material
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Agree with above poster...

Don't buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose unless you know what you're getting yourself into. Be prepared to do a lot of guitar maintenance with that thing!

And a lot of that Jackson guitar's components are rather cheap quality. If you're going to shell out $300+, you might as well save some more money up and buy another guitar with decent quality components.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-417
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab
I think i can manage floyds maintenance and regulations. What would you propose for pricer guitar? If helps i dont rly care if used
If you want a Jackson Rhoads model, the RX10D or RR3 are better choices
Hmm rx10d isnt good for me as i need 24 frets. And little offtop question: Whats diffrence with rr3 floyd and js30rr floyd coz as i see its the same model. Is it diffrent brand or something else? Also what do you think about jackson kelly performer with emg 81/85?
Last edited by TeH Locko at May 9, 2011,
Well if you need a 24 fret Jackson Rhoads model, the RR24 could work.

The RR3 has the same model of trem, just better quality of materials used to build it if I remember correctly.

The higher end Kellys are quite nice. Not sure about the performer, I've never played one myself.
Last edited by pigeonmafia at May 9, 2011,
RR24 would be awesome but thats too expensive but if wood is good in js30 i could buy pick ups and floyd and then save more for a while play with standard setup and then improve it. I dont want to play that much on my"piece of wood for chimmeys" coz even frets are bad and 2 years with it its too long. i think im going to buy rr3/kelly/js30 and if js30 ill buy better floyd and pick ups emg mhz or something
I would never buy a guitar with a trem unless it is a good quality one. You get what you pay for with trems. Pay little, the trem will be crap, shed a load of money and the trem will be better. Simple as that. The JS series have crappy floyds.

Cheap tremolo systems are a nightmare because the knife edges wear out in a few months of owning the guitar. If the knife edges are finished, the trem is ruined.

Pickups wise, Jackson pickups are OK, but nothing special. They are moderatly high output and the cleans are decent. They are better than Ibanez pickups IMO, but not the best.

If i where you, i would save up your money. It is a lot more cost-effective to buy a guitar with all that you need rather than upgrading a cheaper guitar. Because manufacturers don't pay wholesale prices for hardware and pickups, you can get the guitar you want more cheaply rather than having the buy everything yourself.

Also, upgrading to EMG's isn't cheap because you have to replace the capacitors, the jack, the potentiaometers and all the wiring. You also need to find a place for a battery. If you really must upgrade the pickups, it is less money and hassle just to get passive ones and they're just as good.

The RR3 is a much better guitar overall compared to the JS series RR's. They play better, sound better, feel better and are higher quality. They also come in some nice trans finished and swirl finishes as optional extras.

The RR24 is as follows. Instead of a bolt-on neck, like the JS and even the RR3 and KE3, it has neck through construction, an Original Floyd Rose and 24 frets. It is an really nice guitar, but you only have 1 EMG 81 pickup, so the guitar isn't versitile at all. Also, they're expensive as shit.

The JS series Kelly's are the same story as the JS Rhoads in terms of tone and playability, just a different body shape. The Pro series Kelly, the KE3 is basically an RR3 with a Kelly body shape. Same hardware, pickups and so on. Very nice guitar, but in the UK, they are VERY expensive. They cost somthing like £700.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 9, 2011,
The JS series guitars are not made from high quiality wood. There's a reason they're so cheap.

It would be easier to suggest alternative guitars if you gave us your budget, and the specs you want (as you've already said the style of music you're looking to play).

And the KE3 is £580-£600, which should come as no surprise since that's about the same as the RR3.
Quote by pigeonmafia

And the KE3 is £580-£600.

Over here, it is 700. PMT (the nearest shop to me that has a KE3) pays insane comission charges and that doesn't even include TAX, so that really sucks.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Over here, it is 700. PMT (the nearest shop to me that has a KE3) pays insane comission charges, which sucks.

I'm in the UK too ya know lol. I'm looking online
Quote by pigeonmafia
I'm in the UK too ya know lol. I'm looking online

I will never buy a guitar online again since the last time i did, i bought an absalute lemon. No two guitars ever play the same.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
And how's with used? Online in Poland i can find ke3 about 340 and performer(dunno if its same as ke3) about 290-300 so that would be nice.Saw some rr3 about 340 too but as i hear now im pretty sure i wont buy js30.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
No two guitars ever play the same.

That's more prevalent on cheaper guitars. The better the quality of the guitar, the less variation there is. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the difference in feel is down to how the store itself sets up the guitar (or if it sets it up all).

Good choice staying away from the JS series.

As for second hand, you always have to be wary. You can get some great used kit, but you can also get obliterated pieces of crap. Get into contact with the seller, get some detailed pictures of the entire guitar, enquire about any modifications etc etc
Performer was a cheap guitar series from the 90's. They're NOT the same as the Pro series, which the KE3 comes from. What info do you have on the second hand KE3? 340 seems very cheap
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by pigeonmafia
That's more prevalent on cheaper guitars. The better the quality of the guitar, the less variation there is. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the difference in feel is down to how the store itself sets up the guitar (or if it sets it up all).

True, but there are differences with all guitars, not just cheap ones. I would still try before i buy, which is why i don't buy second hand anymore. even if expensive guitars are more consistent, it is just as risky as buying cheap in the end, because if the expensive guitar i get is a lemon, i will lose TONS more money. I'm not taking any risks. Experiences i have had in the past buying second hand have been nothing but bad ones.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
True, but there are differences with all guitars, not just cheap ones. I would still try before i buy, which is why i don't buy second hand anymore. even if expensive guitars are more consistent, it is just as risky as buying cheap in the end, because if the expensive guitar i get is a lemon, i will lose TONS more money. I'm not taking any risks. Experiences i have had in the past buying second hand have been nothing but bad ones.

If you get a 'lemon', you just return it. If it's possible to try a guitar before, then yes, you always should do. But that's not always possible.

Not to mention the fact that the chances of finding somewhere to try the very high end guitars is almost 0, especially in the UK.
The one ke3 is now for sale is from the other end of Poland so testing it isnt possible. As i read about this one its not much about it. Havent any of visual damage. Guitar was made in japan so as i know is good. Also saw one few weeks ago from my town so if it havent been sold ill test it myself.
Re: buying guitars online

Every electric guitar I own I bought via phone or Internet.

If you go for a mid to high cost guitar from a reputable company, you'll probably get the benefit of a generous return policy (Carvin, for instance, has a 10-day trial). Check their website for details. If you're still concerned, do a little research about the return laws where you live AND where the guitar-maker is located. (This is the way I went for my luthier guitars- no issues whatsoever).

If you're STILL squeamish, talk to the guys at your FLMS. They may be willing to order your guitar through their sources- for a fee, of course- and B to B laws are a little bit different than those covering consumers. (This is how I bought my first 2.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!