From what I understand it is supposed to alter the speed of the low and high frequency waves in your tone so that they come into phase making your guitar sound "bigger." When I hear it, it sounds to me like someone rolled down their mids and pushed up their highs and lows. What kind of circuit is this pedal? Anyone use this in a band/recording setting specifically on their guitar tone with good results. What are the pros and cons? I have heard so many mixed reviews. I want to possibly pick one up but I don't want to do so if I it will set me back in the mix because from what I hear of it being used it sounds like it might do that.
You never get good results with it, end of story. You're better off just scooping your mids if you're into that, but alas that'll never work well in a mix, nor in a live setting.
if you're planning on doing recording with it, i'd stay away. it messes with the sound like you said. it messes with the sounds and makes the tracks hotter than they should be to get clean tracks that work well in the overall mixes. mastering tracks that use it is a bitch.

if you're going to use it for live applications however, its a whole different story. it can make your guitar stand out if its lacking. it may be of some use there.
in a recorded mix, no. in a live setting, yes.

it adjusts the frequencies the amp puts out when you plug it into your effects loop and either thickens or brightens your sound according to your taste.

as to how it works and what EXACTLY it does, no one seems to know but ive seen it in every live djs rack as well as 100 other artists use it live as well as myself and it does make an improvement.

shit sucks for recording tho. cant really speculate why.

correct me if im wrong but that's what ive gotten out of it
(signature removed, please choose another)
I can tell you what it sounds like on my amp. The explanation of how it works doesn't really lead to an understanding of how it sounds. If you put your ear directly in line with the speaker it sounds harsh. If you are off to the side the sound is more open (i.e. it is better). With recording it doesn't sound better because the mic is close to inline with the speaker. That's the effect I observed with my pedal.
FLY135 has a good explanation as ive heard,short is good!
A bigger fuller sound and yes,more open ,just tweak a little,ive added a parametric EQ as well,this can shift and center your desired frequency,and boost it!
This helps get that vox chime!
sounds processed! dont need kiddies
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
It basically makes the low, mids and highs hit your ear at the same time by changing harmonic timing before the signal hits the speaker.
Lol, has anyone ever noticed that like in MusiciansFriends magazines, and Zzounds and all those companies say in the context of the BBE Sonic Maximizer, that they're not even sure why it does what it does?
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Last edited by smithmetal at May 16, 2011,
Quote by WtrPlyr
It's not made for guitar.

Yeah I thought they were originally made for mastering recordings...
Quote by samhell
Yeah I thought they were originally made for mastering recordings...

When I master in Reaper, I always add the Sonic Maximizer VST to the master track for adding a little crispyness and a tiny bit of low end.

Can't really imagine using it in an amp's FXloop though...
Quote by stykerwolf
what i understand is that bass frequencies travel faster, the pedal just slows down or delays the bass for it to sync up with the highs and mids, alas a 'bigger' sound

This is what BBE claims the unit does. There's a big argument whether it's actually just a two band eq that cuts your mids.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
This is what BBE claims the unit does. There's a big argument whether it's actually just a two band eq that cuts your mids.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just a two band EQ. The pedal seems pretty much worthless to me : /
It works. You just have to go easy with it. I use it on my Blackstar. It acts sort of like the Presence/Resonance knobs on my 5150.
Quote by 667
It works. You just have to go easy with it. I use it on my Blackstar. It acts sort of like the Presence/Resonance knobs on my 5150.

I have both of these knobs on my amp. I would love to try the pedal out in my set up personally but I can't do that. I love my mids too much to let a 2 band eq in disguise scoop them away. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy one.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I have both of these knobs on my amp. I would love to try the pedal out in my set up personally but I can't do that. I love my mids too much to let a 2 band eq in disguise scoop them away. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy one.

IMO it doesn't scoop, it's more like emphasizing the bass and treb. It also gives a bit of that saturated sizzle. Like I said u have to go easy. If the knobs go past noon, it will start to sound digital.

Get it locally and try it. If u don't like it return it.