Page 1 of 3
ScienceDaily (May 5, 2011) — New research shows that musicians' brains are highly developed in a way that makes the musicians alert, interested in learning, disposed to see the whole picture, calm, and playful. The same traits have previously been found among world-class athletes, top-level managers, and individuals who practice transcendental meditation.

The new study was conducted by Fred Travis, Maharishi University of Management in the US, Harald Harung, Oslo University College in Norway, and Yvonne Lagrosen, University West in Sweden. They relate to high mind brain development, and it appears that this represents a basic potential to become really, really good at something.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110505083421.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29

████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
New research shows that musicians' brains are highly developed in a way that makes the musicians alert, interested in learning, disposed to see the whole picture, calm, and playful.

What is this? My horoscope?
A lot of the musicians I know are idiots, though.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Just to point out: musicians... Not guitarists.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Musicians I know: true
Guitarists I know: soo false
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by ryan_nadon

There's a difference between playing an instrument and being a musician.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by ryan_nadon

Just think how much stupider they would be if they weren't musicians.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i think it's more about the weed.

Nah, weed causes brain damage and scizophrenia.
Quote by Drakathan
There's a difference between playing an instrument and being a musician.

No there isn't.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
No there isn't.

My definition of a musician is someone who actively plays and learns his instrument, and developing his skills further; also writing his own songs if he wants.

Not the kind of douchebag who learns a popular pop-rock song so he can "impress" girls.

Edit: I'm terrible at explaining, but I hope you get the point
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Portuguese_boy
No there isn't.

Oh yes there is. I can kinda play guitar, but I wouldn't consider myself a musician from that aspect. Dream Theater= Musicians, Rush= Musicians, Justin Bieber= NOT A ****ING MUSICIAN.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by Shirate
Oh yes there is. I can kinda play guitar, but I wouldn't consider myself a musician from that aspect. Dream Theater= Musicians, Rush= Musicians, Justin Bieber= NOT A ****ING MUSICIAN.

Yes he is you tit.
Quote by Shirate

Yeah your brain is definitely not highly developed.
Quote by Drakathan
My definition of a musician is someone who actively plays and learns his instrument, and developing his skills further; also writing his own songs if he wants.

Not the kind of douchebag who learns a popular pop-rock song so he can "impress" girls.

Quote by Shirate

No and no.

You play music with an instrument? You're a musician.

Oh and you're so cool for dissing Justin Bieber...
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at May 8, 2011,
Stop arguing semantics, the point is, this article refers to someone dedicated who has spent all their time mastering music and the theory behind it. Just like any other student in any other field.

You don't just pick up an instrument, and bam, you become the God of All Intelligence.
Quote by Duffman123
Yes he is you tit.

+1

He makes music, it's his job...therefore he is a musician. It'd be dumb to argue otherwise, even if you dislike his music.

I don't think musicians are generally more intelligent, we're just more...bi-polar than everyone else

AEDIT:
Quote by Miniskirt
Stop arguing semantics, the point is, this article refers to someone dedicated who has spent all their time mastering music and the theory behind it. Just like any other student in any other field.

You don't just pick up an instrument, and bam, you become the God of All Intelligence.

Yeh, I actually read a study (can't remember where though) that after three years of studying music, students will begin to improve in other subjects in school.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at May 8, 2011,
Quote by Miniskirt

No, but it probably feels that way the few minutes after you've picked up the bass and mastered it.
Quote by Eric_Fail

Yeah your brain is definitely not highly developed.

It was more sarcasm for comedic effect (failed) While I don't think my guitar skills warrant it, I am a musician, but more for the drums and singing. I'm not saying all "singers" are musicians, but some musicians are singers.

However, all personal opinions on the matter aside, Webster gives us this:
mu·si·cian noun \myü-ˈzi-shən\
: a composer, conductor, or performer of music; especially : instrumentalist
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Last edited by Shirate at May 8, 2011,
Playing an instrument is a physical ability. You learn to play an instrument by building up muscle memory.

Musicianship is a mental/emotional process. You are a musician when the music comes from your head, not your hands.

Of course, musicianship is a lot harder to objectify than playing ability, but I think the musical cognition is fairly natural to humans.

Honestly, I'll be one of the first to admit that most of the time when I play, the music comes from my hands, not my brain. I still call myself a musician though, because I have that musical cognition (even if it gets covered up at times).

And just to completely contradict everything, I think I still consider uninspired playing of an instrument (i.e. when you play with your hands, rather than your mind) music. It may be uninspired music, but it's still music nonetheless.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at May 8, 2011,
Quote by food1010
Playing an instrument is a physical ability. You learn to play an instrument by building up muscle memory.

Musicianship is a mental/emotional process. You are a musician when the music comes from your head, not your hands.

Of course, musicianship is a lot harder to objectify than playing ability, but I think the musical cognition is fairly natural to humans.

Honestly, I'll be one of the first to admit that most of the time when I play, the music comes from my hands, not my brain. I still call myself a musician though, because I have that musical cognition (even if it gets covered up at times).

And just to completely contradict everything, I think I still consider uninspired playing of an instrument (i.e. when you play with your hands, rather than your mind) music. It may be uninspired music, but it's still music nonetheless.

Understanding deeply how music works/interacts is a mental process. Chords/scales/theory and stuff.
Quote by Drakathan

My definition of a musician is someone who can fart the tune to "I Feel Pretty."

However these researchers didn't consult either of us crazily enough. I think they just went with the standard 'anyone who makes music.'
Makes sense to me, most of the people I know who are musicians are towards the top of their class. I'm pretty smart I'm just really lazy, unless music is involved, then I'm always up for it.

EDIT: Could I be called a musician if next year I'm going to be working on a degree in music?
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Last edited by monkeysintheday at May 8, 2011,
Quote by boreamor
Too bad that most people here are guitarists and not musicians.

I thought the main point that people were trying to say in this thread is that people who play an instrument are musicians.

OT: And I thought this was common knowledge already?
Why is there so much hate towards guitarists on a site called Ultimate Guitar?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
To those who think playing an instrument does not equal musician: Is Bob Dylan a musician then? Or just simply a lyricist?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Thought this was pretty common knowledge already. Music draws the intelligent people to it.
Check out my band Disturbed
This actually is pretty much ld news, music is a good way to develop your Prefrontal Cortex, (if I remember correctly) which is used for many intelligence-related causes as learning, and doing maths.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
Quote by bradulator
To those who think playing an instrument does not equal musician: Is Bob Dylan a musician then? Or just simply a lyricist?

he's just overrated
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
What's the difference?

I'm just gonna take a shot here, I'm not totally sure what these people mean, but I would have to say guitarists who just play covers may not be considered musicians, but guitarists who write thier own music are musicians.
Page 1 of 3