Hey guys, I want to cover up the f-holes on my hollowbody so that it gets less feedback. I know a lot of people that use clear masking tape. Does this ruin the finish of the guitar in anyway? Will i be able to remove it easily with no damage to the guitar?Any other suggestions that might be a better option?
Thanks
No.

Covering them wont help at all.

It would also look shit/damage the finish.

Better pickups, less gain, fill them with filler if you really have to

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
what the first guy said. lowering the pickups wuld help to. less sensitive.
maybe try and get some foam from a utility shop or something and carefully cut it to fit in the holes? should dampen nicely and won't ruin the finish! :-)

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
its the fact that your guitar is hollow that your getting so much feedback...so..yeah...Stand with your back to your amp..and less gain...other than that there's really not much you can do...except lower the volume on the guitar...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
its the fact that your guitar is hollow that your getting so much feedback...

I think we know that...

On another note, George benson is obviously using tape over the f-holes here so I'm sure it works. Which kind would be least damaging to the finish? Masking or packing? Or maybe some sort of painters tape?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx5uQHCX0iU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
I think we know that...

Don't be a dick.

He was just saying that his hollow guitar is the problem, and putting tape over holes doesn't change that it's hollow.

And George Benson plays jazz... I don't think he needs the tape to fix his feedback issues.

He probably just did it to alter the sound of the guitar. Probably makes it a bit more bassy or something like that.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Don't be a dick.

He was just saying that his hollow guitar is the problem, and putting tape over holes doesn't change that it's hollow.

And George Benson plays jazz... I don't think he needs the tape to fix his feedback issues.

He probably just did it to alter the sound of the guitar. Probably makes it a bit more bassy or something like that.

Covering or plugging up the f-holes is a way to diminish feedback on hollowbodies even for jazz players. It doesnt affect amplified tone that much as it does resonance. Especially in small live settings when you can't get away from the amp. You don't have to turn up very loud before you start getting feedback

Lol I'm not here to argue. I just wanna know which kind of tape least damages the finish.

Quote by Wisthekiller
A lot of people put socks inside their hollowbodies. Painters tape would probably be the safest if you're set on that though. Try putting it on the inside (yes it will be hard, but it's to be safe).

I was thinking about trying that with a t-shirt or something. Socks may be better
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at May 8, 2011,