Hey gents. My guitar is starting to develop fret wear on the first few frets. I have played the crap out of the guitar since i bought it new last year. Is there a way to reduce fret wear on a guitar? I'm asking because there are no luthiers near me and i don't want to shell out £200 for a refret
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 8, 2011,
No.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
There is no way that you have any significant fretwear on a 2 year old guitar...unless you're not the first owner? My 77 les paul..which I am the 3rd owner..has minor fretware...it wont need to be refretted for anothe 10 years..perhaps pics to truley show what you're talking about?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
The only way your frets can be that worn after one year is if you use really rusty and very thick strings, do lots of bends and apply way too much pressure. Even then it should take more than a year to show any real wear. Most guitars take four or five years of constant playing and mistreatment before the frets are visibly worn down. Even then they usually have another four years life in them until they need replacing. Some guitars made in the 50s have survived until now with their original frets in a perfectly playable condition.
Well since i have owned the guitar i have played it somthing like 3 hours a day. for 365 days, so basically i have played the living s**t out of it, using heavier strings than most players.
I know that i'm fairly heavy handed with fretting. I've even partly worn the finish off the neck and the satin finish is starting to become gloss and i've worn the corners off the bridge saddles from palm muting. I bought the guitar brand new. The fret wear isn't bad or anything, nothing that a light fret dress could handle, but i was just wondering if there is a way to reduce it before it could get more serious. i have a cheap Ibanez that has been played for 4 years and the frets are destroyed from playing, i just don't want my current guitar to go down the same route any time soon.

EDIT: I know that it seems silly that i am worried no after owning the guitar from new for only a year, it's just that i'm paranoid that i'll lose my frets because getting them worked on isn't cheap.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 8, 2011,
a little fret wear isn't cause for concern. if you're just starting to see some minor wear, I wouldn't do anything about it for a while.

you can certainly examine your technique to try and reduce wear. being really heavy handed can certainly speed fret wear
Quote by krehzeekid
a little fret wear isn't cause for concern. if you're just starting to see some minor wear, I wouldn't do anything about it for a while.

you can certainly examine your technique to try and reduce wear. being really heavy handed can certainly speed fret wear

I may be heavy handed because my first guitar (the Stagg i have in my sig which has a neck twist in it) had such high action i had to get used to fretting harder. After all as my dad said, learning on a guitar with high action is the best way to learn.

In reality, he is full of shit because fretting the strings harder has become a bad habit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Its not a problem until the frets start causing fret buzz because of their low height. My Tele has fret wear, its easy to see especially on the first fret under the B string but its not enough to cause fret buzz.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at May 8, 2011,