The deal is.. my friend has an old Westfield Gold Top Les Paul he's offered to sell me for £50.

It has a thinner-then-most-les-pauls bolt on neck which is actually a strat scale, not a typical les paul scale which is a massive plus for me because i feel really squashed when i play normal les pauls.

The pickups sound decent but I could swap them out at some point.

I play Strats and Teles almost exclusively.. but I'm dying for a les paul to have lying around just to play and give me that HH setup.. plus if i'm getting any finish on a les paul it's going to be a goldtop with cream plastics.

My question is.. is it a waste of time or am i thinking westfield are worse than they actually are?
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Last edited by WhoDooVooDoo at May 8, 2011,
I can only relate to the Westfield acoustic I have had for around 6-8 years, but that is a good, solid, reliable guitar, so for £50 it sounds like you've got nothing to lose!
For something that cheap, you've got nothing to lose. Do it. Not like you're paying a fortune for it. It'll be nice to have as your "Frankenstein" guitar basically.
If you got a relatively good amp (and guessing that the guitar doesn't have any major flaws), the any guitar should sound good (not excellent, but pretty darn good taken account to the price), especially if you do happen to change the pick-ups.

Plus, since you do have several guitars, your bound to have a "main" good guitar, so this will just work as a alternative guitar when the mood takes you to grab it, without the pressure of having to make the guitar perfect.

£50 is already good for a guitar, and since it's a LP, it's such a common buy, so even if you do happen to want to sell it anyday, I'm sure there won't be any problem at all in doing so.

Do it, or give your friend my number, and have him call me.
I want to try and find the model and wood, I get the feeling it's an E-4000 or E-4500 because my brother had one (that I never played). They do make really pretty copies.. I just never played one until the other day when I found out my friend had one in storage for ages unused.

I'll ask to give it a shot for a few days (since he lives close by) where I can slap some new strings on it and give it a bit of a quick once-over set up then try it with my amp.

And to answer that question, yeah my amp is pretty decent on the bedroom tones side of things, upgrading to a Bugera V22 soon though. (Currently own a Vox VT20+)
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+