When mic'ing an amp for studio recording, most people recommend significantly reducing the gain and maybe increasing the mids. Based on personal experience with home recording, I find this to be true. Does this same rule apply when being mic'd at a live concert club?

When jamming with my amp, I like to crank the gain and scoop the mids. Is it ok to keep those same settings when mic'd on stage, or do I need to scale it back like when recording? I have no idea how it sounds in the audience.

I play metal.
Yes, push the mid up a bit and cut the gain. I just went to a local metal show last night and the bands were scooping mids and cranking gain and it sounded absolutely awful.
use as little gain as possible and the louder you go the more mids the better
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
totally depends one band genre and setup and what you wanna achieve.
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
get the tone you want, then mic it in a way that represents that tone, meaning you might have to experiment with mic positions. personally I like a 57 at a 45 degree angle pointed towards the cone, and about half way between the cone and the edge of the speaker
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Dead By Dawn
When mic'ing an amp for studio recording, most people recommend significantly reducing the gain and maybe increasing the mids. Based on personal experience with home recording, I find this to be true. Does this same rule apply when being mic'd at a live concert club?

When jamming with my amp, I like to crank the gain and scoop the mids. Is it ok to keep those same settings when mic'd on stage, or do I need to scale it back like when recording? I have no idea how it sounds in the audience.

I play metal.

imo, on recordings you want as little gain as possible and mids help but if you like the scooped sound it can work. live, however, you need lots of mids to cut through or else you'll be totally inaudible, and enough gain to sound big, but not so much that it sounds muddy. what amp are you running through?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.