Right so i got a orange dual terror head, orange ppc112 and fender 72 deluxe tele. I use a ocd as abit of a boost but my dilema is i just aint getting a great tone. I Dont know why? is it cause its a closed back cab? would it help getting an open back or 2x12? I think the ovious thing for me to do is get a new head is it not?

My style of playing is getting i suppose abit more towards heavy rock/metal. The kinda tone im after is abit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGA_EjLZh4

Any ideas on what i need to get help improve tone?

x
Last edited by billabob at May 8, 2011,
first off you have an el84 amp, treble boosters into el84 amps can do so many things, it falls just short of baking you bread. Id say check out the rangemaster clones, they dont cost much, but they will improve your tone.

Speaking of tone, we dont know what the problem is to assess, good thing is we dont need to know, rangemasers usually fix el84s
Well it just doesnt sound great theres no punch to it, and it just hasnt got any kinda of lead tone or a decent clean tone. and i find the one knob eq really restricting.

What is a rangemaster? i googled it all i got was cookers.
x
Quote by billabob
Right so i got a orange dual terror head, orange ppc112 and fender 72 deluxe tele. I use a ocd as abit of a boost but my dilema is i just aint getting a great tone. I Dont know why? is it cause its a closed back cab? would it help getting an open back or 2x12? I think the ovious thing for me to do is get a new head is it not?

My style of playing is getting i suppose abit more towards heavy rock/metal. The kinda tone im after is abit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGA_EjLZh4

Any ideas on what i need to get help improve tone?

x

I have located the problem.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The cabinet will definitely make a big difference. I have the same head with an avatar 2x12 V30's and using an mxr Gt od to boost and overdrive, it can go from blues to thrash but it sounds like the sound your looking for is going to need a bit more tweaking, for which is Dual Terror is not optimal.
I've it played through a 4x12 and found it gets a punchier sound better for that full rhythm tone. Other than upgrading the cab, try adding a 10 band Eq into your effects it can do wonders for tone sculpting (works best in an fx loop but since the DT has none it will have to go in your pedal line).
When buying my DT I almost picked up an Egantor Rebel, which is about the same price and has alot more tonal variability.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Egnater-Rebel30-30W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=423014

I personally love the Orange crunch but if you're trying to hone or clone a particular tone you should probably look at amp with some more flexibility and sound sculpting options.
Happy tone seeking
-Gear-
Epiphone LP
Fender Strat
Orange DT
Ashdown FA60 2x12
I have a closed back 1x12 and I wish it was open back. That may be part of your problem.
Quote by fly135
I have a closed back 1x12 and I wish it was open back.

Fix it with a saw. Just cut out a portion in line with the screws so you can remove or reattach as you please.
-Gear-
Epiphone LP
Fender Strat
Orange DT
Ashdown FA60 2x12
Have you tried a different guitar? A tele is not what I would call a go to guitar for a heavy rock metal sound... Maybe have someone bring over their guitar(s) and play while you tweak the knobs...
give the vox ice 9 a shot. never played it thru an orange but ive got a smaller, decent tube amp and the ice 9 did wonders. added a nice punch, can do vintage/modern settings, and it has a "more" witch which is nice for solos or a little treble boost
i swear the MI audio blues pro was made specifically in mind for the DT. get the older gen though if you do. its better than any TS/OCD.

however there is a little part of me feeling that the DT is the most friendly tele amp. i had a tele for a short while with the DT, and maybe tried it on the amp once and wasn't thrilled.

i am a DT owner and it believe it or not is my most played amp, second being my 18w marshall clone. partially due to volume, and because they sound great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well tbh im not reall after a metal tone. I dont think my guitar is the problem cause ive used it loads of times on tons of different amps now and ive got gd tone outta it. Im not too keen on sawing open the back of my cab either :S maybe if i sell the cab and get a 2x12 ob cab would this make a huge difference?
x
Forget the amp. Based on your comments it sounds like maybe your tubes are shot? When's the last time you changed them?
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
It thought bands like that had been wiped out. Shame.

TBH that sounds quite american voiced to me, like Mesas and stuff.

Your little Orange wont do that.

Also: 3 vocalists? What are they some kind of of Emo cRap

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
bit of a snide comment there tom, also they got 2 vox not 3. @rockxwl. Ive had the amp for about a year without changing them. But i dont think the tone has change to be honest. Sounds like it always has i think :S