Okay, I'm just starting to learn how to solo with scales and Johnny B. Goode has me really confused. Okay first of all, Johnny B. Goode is in the key of A# or Bb, right?

Which scale do I use... or can I use both of these (they seemed to fit):

1. A#/Bb Pentatonic Minor

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A%23%2FBb&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

2. A#/Bb Pentatonic Major

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A%23%2FBb&scchnam=Pentatonic+Major&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

How come I found out that both of these scales worked to a certain degree? Can someone explain the theory behind it please???

Is there a full major scale (with 7 notes) I can use over Johnny B. Goode?

Also, my last question. What scale was used for the solo from 1:50 - 2:25 in this video of Back to the Future where Marty McFly is playing Johnny B. Goode?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Cr7kxjSBs
Last edited by AgariRRg at May 8, 2011,
It's usually played in Bb, use Bb minor pentatonic.

However, if you'd payed attention to Back To The Future you'll have no doubt heard the line where Marty says "this is a blues riff in B" - although in all honesty I couldn't tell you if the recorded version in the movie is in actually in B off the top of my head
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

However, if you'd payed attention to Back To The Future you'll have no doubt heard the line where Marty says "this is a blues riff in B" - although in all honesty I couldn't tell you if the recorded version in the movie is in actually in B off the top of my head

I just listened to it and it's definitely in Bb. Haha, I never knew that; just assumed it was in B like he said.
Quick, go to IMDB and post it as a goof!

Unless it's there already...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Marty tells the band at the dance that the song is in B, but when he plays, it's in B flat.

Apparently is. :p

EDIT: Completely deliberate too.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at May 8, 2011,
Quote by steven seagull

Well, I know it's in they key of Bb. My question is, what scale did he use. It doesn't sound like just a pentatonic scale... or is it? And how come The Bb Major and Minor Pentatonics can be used over Johnny B. Goode. I thought it was one or the other
Look up what the blues scale is.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Yup, it's in the key of Bb, but the solo uses a combination of minor pentatonic and what is often referred to as Mixolydian (though this is not a modal song). If you want you could say that over the Bb7 some of the notes come from the "parent" scale. Someone else might try to say its the Bb Major scale with "accidentals". Whatever you want to call it.... those notes are in there.

so in the 6th position the notes will all come from here.........

----------------------------------------------------------- 6----8-----------
------------------------------------------------6---8--9------------------------
-------------------------------------5--7--8------------------------------------
------------------------5--6---8-------------------------------------------
-----------5--6---8-------------------------------------------------------
----6--8-----------------------------------------------------------------

and from here, though most of the solo actually comes from the scale above

-------------------------------------------------------6---9--------------------
----------------------------------------------6----9----------------------------
------------------------------------6---8---------------------------------------
---------------------------6---8------------------------------------------------
-----------------6---8----------------------------------------------------------
-------6-----9------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully your actually going to learn to play the solo and not just study it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 8, 2011,
His solos typically are very similar to rockabilly and country, and center around triad chord tones as the chords change. There's your theory.

You'll also want to know scales, chords, triads and 7ths and understand how he builds his lines especially using Major and Minor 3rds as passing tones and the dominant 7th interval. Map them out and analyse the changes and notes.

Best,

Sean
Quote by AgariRRg
Well, I know it's in they key of Bb. My question is, what scale did he use. It doesn't sound like just a pentatonic scale... or is it? And how come The Bb Major and Minor Pentatonics can be used over Johnny B. Goode. I thought it was one or the other

You can use the major pentatonic because it fits the key of the song.

You can use the minor pentatonic because if you use the I IV V progression with dominant seventh chords (I7 IV7 V7) and take the root and seventh notes of each chord, you get the minor pentatonic scale.

In the key of C:

I7: C E G Bb

IV7: F A C Eb

V7: G B D F

The root and sevenths are:

C-Bb F-Eb G-F

Re-ordered:

C Eb F G Bb

Viola, the C minor pentatonic scale.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK