Alright so I've been writing some music recently and what seems to be the biggest setback to some of it is how I cannot get a certain tone out of my guitar and it makes the whole thing sound weird.
I am trying to get what has been described to me as a "dry" guitar tone, little to no effects, a little abrasive sounding, but not anything that hurts to listen to.
A good example to what sound I am looking for is in Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" at around :54-1:04. (I am not gonna post a link because I'm not familiar with the rules of this board to well.)

Also I'm using a Strat with a humbucker, an ME-70, and a Vox pathfinder so I'm not looking for a really specific way to recreate it but more of a general way to create the sound. Can someone offer some advice?
Quote by Chandleezy
Alright so I've been writing some music recently and what seems to be the biggest setback to some of it is how I cannot get a certain tone out of my guitar and it makes the whole thing sound weird.
I am trying to get what has been described to me as a "dry" guitar tone, little to no effects, a little abrasive sounding, but not anything that hurts to listen to.
A good example to what sound I am looking for is in Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" at around :54-1:04. (I am not gonna post a link because I'm not familiar with the rules of this board to well.)

Also I'm using a Strat with a humbucker, an ME-70, and a Vox pathfinder so I'm not looking for a really specific way to recreate it but more of a general way to create the sound. Can someone offer some advice?

You can post Youtube links, it's no problem . That's a very metallic tone (the Franz Ferdinand one), my best guess would be a sort of fixed modulation effect (such as a phaser with the rate disabled, or a wah pedal left alone in a position, such as Jimmy Page would do). Try setting your ME-70 to a wah and push the pedal forward, see if that gets you anywhere
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Garci
You can post Youtube links, it's no problem . That's a very metallic tone (the Franz Ferdinand one), my best guess would be a sort of fixed modulation effect (such as a phaser with the rate disabled, or a wah pedal left alone in a position, such as Jimmy Page would do). Try setting your ME-70 to a wah and push the pedal forward, see if that gets you anywhere

Alright I'll try that. Anything I can do to the EQ to make sound more alike?
Bright guitar, no gain, no effects, take your mids right out and boost the treble beyond what you'd normally have. That's your ticket to the harshest tone possible. Roll back treble/roll in mids to taste if you want to take the "ice pick" edge off.
A single coil pickup in the bridge position will go a long way towards getting you that tone. It can be done with a humbucker, but it will require a lot of time fiddling with your eq and filters.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
Sounds like two guitars straight into cranked fender amps to me with a lot of compression and some of the bass rolled off on eq.