What are some songs you guys play to impress people? (easy or hard, but some easy ones would be preferred)
Why do you want to impress someone, and why do you want to impress someone with a particularly easy selection? Just play.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
I play guitar, but I will be impressed with someone playing in bass: frantic disembowelment bye cannibal corpse or only ashes remains by necrophagist, both are considered hard, also the bass in sea of lies by symphony x is pretty sweet and coud impress some people and it's relatively easy I'm also impressed with guys who can play funk style using really fast slap
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
I was just asking what songs you guys play, I usually play Hysteria by Muse just to dink around if I know like everybody in the room is watching, so that's what I meant by easy...not incredibly easy so that any little kid or whatever could pick up the bass and play the exact same thing
Quote by TylerRRR
Why do you want to impress someone, and why do you want to impress someone with a particularly easy selection? Just play.

because its fun to show of everynow and then, especially when yo need to prove that you aren't just some stupid 'bass is teh eazy ill be teh bassist' kinda guy.

all of these songs take a trick to play but are all pretty straight forward.

southbound pachyderm - primus. it involves pounding out an open a while playing a fairly simple lead line over it on the D and G strings. also has some power chords.

taco tuesday- fingersmoran. lots of strumming, very fun cool song to play. also involves some slapping.

truths ugly head(intro) -nuclear rabbit. a pretty cool tapping song, very easy as your left hand is only hitting 1 note per phrase and it doesn't require too much finger independence. 5string is preffered, it has a low D so you would have to tune your E down to at least C# to play it.

I believe all three of those songs have tab up on this site and have all given me some cool looks.
no sir away a papaya war is on
i can't play it freely yet but i plan to do the stu hamm version of linus and lucy when i need to impress

shouldn't be much longer now

for the moment i play the primus version of master of puppets, YYZ, and come on come over by jaco
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
As a habit i generally play "Get Up and Jump" by RHCP to warm up. everytime i do it in a crowd peoples heads turn for whatever reason. Its not particularly hard but it sounds cool. Or DMV by primus. Either one works if the person dosent play bass
70s VM Jazz
Ibanez ATK300
Peavy Tour 700
Peavy 2x15
GK 4x10
Whenever I try to impress people on the bass, I say that I warm up first, pretending to totally suck at bass and playing off beat notes without any scale involved. After 20 seconds of that, I say 'Warmed up ' and go off and play YYZ with my fingers. Not as fast as the original, my fingers aren't that fast at all, but fast enough to seem impressing.
learn how to slap. that really impresses people
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Somehow play Disposition by Tool without using effects but still sounding like you are . Or since you know Hysteria why not do Citizens Erased by muse or the tapping bit that is in the quiet part of Knights of Cydonia
Last edited by Derok2008 at May 9, 2011,
Something with the catchiest hook I can think of. It may not be the most technically challenging peice I can play, and they probably wont be impressed at the time.

But if I play something and it gets stuck in someones head and they are still humming it a few hours later. I consider that the greatest complement!!!

Usually its nothing fancy and along these lines...

"Dont stop beliving - Journey"
"September- Earth Wind & Fire"
"Stayin Alive - Bee Gee's"
"YMCA - Village People"
"Dancing Queen - Abba"

Good luck getting those out of your head, once they get stuck!!!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
If it was just me and a bass, I'd either play and sing American Life by Primus, or Seemann by Rammstein.

If I had a backing track, or playing along, I'd play some Protest the Hero. Arif is such a friggin' beastly bassist.
Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
Jackson 5 - Darlin Dear
Led Zep - What is and What Should Never Be
Black Sabbath - NIB

I generally don't like slapping... but this is just un****withable...

Pow! - Graham Central Station http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IuD6F3R5I
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
Jackson 5 - Darlin Dear
Led Zep - What is and What Should Never Be
Black Sabbath - NIB

I generally don't like slapping... but this is just un****withable...

Pow! - Graham Central Station http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IuD6F3R5I

+1, Darling Dear is a blast to play
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by obeythepenguin
I like breaking out "Blister in the Sun". Not the flashiest song, but it always gets a reaction.

it really is a great song.
no sir away a papaya war is on