Page 1 of 4
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor
1,481 IQ
This is the first issue of UG Amplified, the community webzine. It’s written and produced entirely by UGers recruited from the forums, and can showcase the extensive creative and intellectual prowess of ordinary users.

We’ve had a terrific response for the first issue - in 10 days we’ve had 40 people sign up, design the zine and fill it with content on subjects ranging from music to politics.

Anyone can write for UG Amplified, just e-mail me or post here, and I’ll invite you to the Group to work out your piece.

blue_strat
Editor

amplified.editor@gmail.com

- - - LINK - - -

Audio for ChucklesMginty's lesson here

1,000 views - thanks guys!
Last edited by blue_strat at May 10, 2011,
ryan_nadon
ass brain
134 IQ
So where do I read it at?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
WyvernOmega
2,026 IQ
Wow, I'm sorry for ragging on this idea at the start... this is awesome!

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
BeefWellington
UG's Tastiest Dish
262 IQ
It's pretty good. My only problem is that it needs some colour to it. It's just walls of text. A few pictures and cool font here and there wouldn't go amiss.

I'm contemplating doing a review. Thing is I'd be more in the style of ZeroPunctuation in text form.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Jon777
Assbender
1,137 IQ
Quote by BeefWellington
It's pretty good. My only problem is that it needs some colour to it. It's just walls of text. A few pictures and cool font here and there wouldn't go amiss.

Seconded. A less-plain cover would have been nice, as well.
But, hey... Considering this was done in such a short amount of time, I think it turned out fantastic.

EDIT:

Quote by K Reyn
Yeah where do you find this thing?

Click the huge "LINK" in the OP.
Last edited by Jon777 at May 8, 2011,
MakinLattes
fully retractable
1,097 IQ
Quote by CoreysMonster
I am sooo printing this out and putting it in the bathroom.

my writing does induce bowel movements...
blue_strat
UG Amplified Editor
1,481 IQ
Quote by ryan_nadon
So where do I read it at?

Click on the cover page and it'll download.
Quote by due 07
Can't wait, I'll be reading this soon. Is this monthly?

Depends on how many people sign up for Issue 02.
Quote by BeefWellington

Artists and designers are welcome to step in and spruce things up.
Quote by jwizzle5786
I'm so sad You got my username wrong...

Don't care. This is really awesome.

Goddammit, it's the finger thing that goes with it. I apologise.
Slicer666
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeei-
352 IQ
Cool, I heard Levvy talk about it a few days ago so I'll give this a good read once my brain starts functioning again Heck, I might even submit an article (though it's going to take ages with my shit grammar and story-writing skills) or pop-up with ideas for a lay-out.

Btw, where did you make the file in, MS Word?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Last edited by Slicer666 at May 8, 2011,
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
FOR THOSE NOT SEEING THE LINK:

It's the big yellow text saying "LINK," right under TS's e-mail.

It can be missed because it looks like part of his sig.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
jwizzle5786
JJ
257 IQ
Quote by blue_strat
Click on the cover page and it'll download.
Depends on how many people sign up for Issue 02.
Goddammit, it's the finger thing that goes with it. I apologise.

Bro, it's okay. The numbers are in a silly order. It's really not a big deal.
Tanglewoodguit
Davostated
2,656 IQ
I want to write for this
AVFC Championship 2nd place 2017

Quote by TheChaz
Ok I'll pass it on to them that EndTheRapture51 is done watching.
chaos13
Toothbrush
263 IQ
Nice. Thanks for all the work you did on this blue_strat. Looks awesome
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Ghast
Trained Misanthropist
619 IQ
I'm digging the summaries of the relationship and sex threads.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
severed-metal
moo
4,318 IQ
That's actually pretty cool. This turned out very good, not like I really had any doubts, to be honest.
sjones
UG's Analrapist
2,068 IQ
Pretty cool.

Once my schedule slows down a bit, I'd like to jump in on this biotch.

I should be able to do some lessons, perhaps with video to go with them. Also some guitar-based reviews and such.

Very cool dudes!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
mr7string
938 IQ
Quote by blue_strat

Just sent an email about doing some design work!
NosralTserrof
Damned
1,752 IQ
AngryGoldfish's spheal on OR was a wonderful read.

That is all
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
chaos13
Toothbrush
263 IQ
I would just like to clarify that my contribution was a guitar lick, not a bass lick
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
Quote by Ghast
I'm digging the summaries of the relationship and sex threads.

Thank you.

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I want to write for this

I'm sure you can find a topic to write about very soon.

Physical content (images and colourschemes) will develop over time, but this has been put together through the hard work of many people, in less than a week.

Props to our Editor for doing exactly what an Editor does best: making people work.
Tom Colohue is a writer from Blackpool, England, recognisable for his integrative descriptive work and his cynical textual mannerisms.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
Last edited by Colohue at May 8, 2011,
AJSaw
UG's Sadboi
609 IQ
I'm happy this got put together so well. Can't wait until the next time I get to write in it!

A lot of fun
Primus2112
whatever you say "Mor-ty"
915 IQ
I want so badly for this to be on paper.

I know I could print it, but if I print that many pages I'll get yelled at for wasting paper...
Quote by raoooos
slipknot are actually just terrible, they're such a "holy shit i'm 14" kind of band. like fuck off mum i'm not going to school i have to clear the stone of leaves.
Burgery
crack hitler
3,179 IQ
You didn't name it the Armpit

EDIT: Great job though
Quote by JamSessionFreak
lots of really smart stuff
Last edited by Burgery at May 8, 2011,
TenInchClock
Custom User Title
1,065 IQ
It's a lot better than a lot of people thought, judging by what they said when this was proposed, good job to all concerned. Will definately finish reading this, and I look forward to the next one.
AvengedFoghat
UG's EDM EDiot
651 IQ
I'm happy with my review coming out.

Also, I liked everyone else's stuff, especially CaptainCrunk's.

I love synths.

That is all Good job with just getting it out there. That must've been a pain in the ass .

I only had to write a small review
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.
921 IQ
Quote by AvengedFoghat
I'm happy with my review coming out.

Also, I liked everyone else's stuff, especially CaptainCrunk's.

I love synths.

That is all Good job with just getting it out there. That must've been a pain in the ass .

I only had to write a small review

I'll edit the rest of the article into this post. It wasn't very good, I've got plans on doing something better.

EDIT: Here's the second half of the article. It wasn't there for some reason, probably the PM issue.

So while I cannot tell you precisely where, I can tell you it will be located with the DAW in some kind of Program Files, and the folder will most likely be named Vstplugins or something very similar to that. If you've downloaded a synthesizer, ensure all folders are unzipped, and all information and folders are in one folder. This folder will be pasted into your plugins folder. If you have bought a synth, you will likely need to install it directly into this folder. Some downloaded synths will also install, and will be done the same way. Simply “browse” to that folder, and install.

Once you have either started your standalone or opened your DAW, we'll need to make a new project, and from there a new instrument track. These names might be different on different DAWs, so if you cannot find those options look for something similar. Generally opening a new project can be found in the File tab, and a new track can be done in a Project tab or something similar. If you're not using a DAW, this and the next few paragraphs won't apply.

Once you've opened up your DAW and assuming there aren't other problems, it is time to actually get to work. If you want to play the synth via a midi controller, then you'll need to make sure all midi channels are open on your new track. This is different on most every DAW, but it will almost always be called midi or midi channel. If you want to use midi you've created or found from another source you'll need to import it into your DAW and get it into an instrument track (which you will then change to be the new VST).

Ensure that you have done everything correctly by either playing a note, or pressing play on your sequencer. If there is no sound, either you've missed a step, something unrelated to your new synth is wrong, or the synth isn't on settings that produce any audio. To solve the third problem, most synthesizers come with presets. Presets are good for learning because they usually change several settings on the softsynth at once. I recommend using a simple bass synth to start with if the synth is a multi use or bass synth. This is because it will cause the fewest changes.

Finding the basic functions of the synth can be a challenge, especially if there is no manual or it has a counterintuitive GUI (which most do). But with your simple bass synth, you can fiddle around without really causing anything bad to happen. Since this synth is new to you, try to move one dial at a time, and then move it back, then move on. Doing this until you understand what some of them do is helpful because many functions interact with each other.

There are certain functions present in a wide variety of synths that will be very helpful in shaping your sound. But one thing present in all of them will be some kind of sound source. Some synthesizers can use many sources. Oscillators are probably the most common. The first thing you'll want to do is see how changing the source sources (oscillators in this case) will change your sound. How a square wave will be different from a saw wave, for example. In addition to different kinds of oscillators, you will often be able to change things about the oscillator such a pitch, intensity, volume, and several other things from unison voices (much like chorus in effect) to extra sub bass oscillator clones. This will usually cause very noticeable differences in your sound and will be different from synth to synth.
The next thing you'll want to get a handle on is how this synth filters. Nearly all synths do, and how they filter will be different. Filters can have envelopes. Envelopes are generally ASDHR, or attack, sustain, decay, hold, and release. Some may not be present, and some others may be present, but the basic premise is generally the same. In addition to envelopes, filtering can usually be affected by LFOs. Sometimes the LFO will be located in the same area as the filter, sometimes it might not even be on the same screen, and some synths don't have them at all. LFOs can often be “sent” to several different effects and functions, so do not assume it will be defaulted to controlling some aspect of the filter.
Another common feature will be the volume envelope. They will also have ASDHR or some variant, and just control amplification. A master volume is not the same. This will often be called a VCA (which is slightly different but performs the same function). Finding this will be key as well. Many synths come with their own effects. Sometimes they're just there to add features to the feature list, and sometimes they're actually useful. But save these for last, because they are rarely the bones of the synth.
These are general instructions to learn any softsynth. Once you've learned a few, the method will be personalized to your tastes. But following these steps will lead to a quick understanding of a synth's capabilities rather than discarding it as useless and moving on to the next one. If you can change the oscillator/sound source, modify the volume envelope, and work with the filtering, you can move on to what makes the synth unique and get that sound you were looking for. The primary thing to remember is that presets are your friend when you're trying to figure out how to do something in a synth.
Last edited by captaincrunk at May 8, 2011,
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
I, CrazySam, deem this righteous! Read it, bitches!!!

Btw, can anyone submit stuff to next month's?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 8, 2011,